This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 06, 2020, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

XK A160 with UMX Turbo Timber LE Slats

XK A160 with UMX Turbo Timber wing slats (2 min 39 sec)

What a horrid flying experience .. This would be the 2nd worst model I have flown ! ( EVER )

UMX Turbo Timber LE Wing Slats = They work ! The lift is amazing , and possibly too much ! I needed 50% down elevator to fly level .

6G to 3D = FAIL ! , I lose 50% elevator movement when making the switch from 6g to 3d and thats too much , I have little to no elevator ( Just loosing too much ) .

Spirals into the ground ! = Any attempt to turn to the right results in the XK A160 trying to spiral into the ground . Just over and over and over again . No matter how gentle a turn I tried to make to the right resulted in a spiral downward . Waggling the ailerons did nothing .. If you have altitude then the model sort of straightens out itself , but the pilot can do little . It simply does its little dance and once done hands control back to the pilot . ( Thats some crazy S )

Turn to the left = It just barely does it after a lot of coaxing at the transmitter . At least it did not spiral into the ground . If you watch the video , that big left turn is as tight as it will go .

3D = It banks much better , and I did turn left in 3D mode and banked over the way it did ... It did not spiral into the ground ????

It's a jive turkey man !!!

So at the end of the video I had to turn right , and the XK A160 did at last spiral into the ground .. The result was no damage except to loosen the tap on the potty mouth ..

Hmmmm , what can I say about this bag of "S" , except that it's a stinker . I don't recommend it , in fact I would suggest you buy something better like a UMX Turbo Timber ..

What's going to happen .. ?
I will pull out the flight control board , put in 2 servos and a 4ch Rx .. Then try flying the yellow jive turkey again and see what happens !
The UMX Turbo Timber wing slats worked , probably too well as the XK A160 just wanted to climb . It did not lift the nose , but simply went up probably because of the extra lift from the slats . So the spiral issue ? Is possibly not related to lift at all . I could not even initiate a gentle right turn , the XK A160 would almost right away start to spiral . Crazy , simply crazy .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2020, 02:50 AM

Slats

Thanks for letting us all know about your results with the slats. I was hopefull they might work. It is like flying a brick. Way too heavy.
Oct 07, 2020, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
It never felt heavy , well , not with the slats .
The death spiral to the right was just crazy .
Oct 07, 2020, 06:46 PM
What was the worst?
Oct 08, 2020, 04:22 AM
Thread OP
Worst ..
What was the name of it ?
A small balsa job with retracts ! @ Rage Beechcraft

Rage R/C Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing Micro RTF (2 min 4 sec)

The one I got just pulled to the left like a mad cow !
Took all the right aileron to keep it level and it was still going left and rolling slightly ..
So 100% right aileron , some down elevator to try and keep it from climbing and right rudder ..
Yeah , I simply could not maintain such extremes and finally cut the throttle and tried to land it ..
Which it did , on its nose .
Fragile as can be this model , I destroyed the front of the plane .
And due to the complexity of the design , there was no repairing it .
About 20 seconds of stress and that's all I got .

Why the hell did it roll left like a mad cow ???????
Last edited by old4570; Oct 08, 2020 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply