Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Apr 12, 2002, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Leave me alone!

P-39 conversion

Hi Gang!

I've got a P-39 that I am considering converting to electric. I don't recall the kit manufacturer, as I bought the plane built at a fly in, but my original intent was to fly it slope. I weighted the nose as necessary and installed standard sized radio gear, but it test-glided like a brick so I didn't slope it. It may have been produced by modeltech or similar. It's sized for a .10 to .15 glow, and I'm wondering what it might take to power this thing electric, not for screaming aerobatics, but for scale semi-aerobatic flight. She is about 40 inches in w/s, with approximately 250 sq in wing area, and as she sits now (weighted nose, but no radio gear) she weighs about 20 oz. Thanks for any suggestions! Here's a pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2002, 05:06 AM
Leave me alone!
another pic
Old Apr 12, 2002, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Balsa Flies Better!
Dreamer

It might be barely be doable.

I'll throw out my guesses- Jeti 15/4 plus 7 cell CP 1700 pack -nice combo on a 9 x 4.5 for good vertical pull on a 30 ounce airplane, not killer quick. This pulls about 200 watts- for good power loading at 30 ounces or so. Weighs around 14.5 ounces. Radio wt- add 1.5 ounce. This brings you up to 16 ounces of gear you need to add. If the airplane is 20 ounces, stomp on it or just hang it up- you'll be at 36 ounces and it'll probably be unpleasant to fly. However, you've got weight in the snoot. If you knock out 4 oz- you get down to 32- might just make it. 30 or lower is happiness. Rev up your dremel if you're going to do it....

Sam
Old Apr 15, 2002, 07:24 AM
Leave me alone!
Sam,

Thanks for your advice... that's kind of what I was expecting. Even with my little bit of weight removed from the nose, I'm still about 18 oz. The best I could hope to do is strip the covering and start going nuts with making lightening holes, but I'd rather keep it as a display piece at this point... looks good on my wall!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:45 AM
Leave me alone!
I should correct myself on one thing... it's a global kit, not modeltech