This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2020, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Not A Gerber Strongarm !

Not a Gerber Strongarm (5 min 3 sec)

That's right , this is not the Gerber Strongarm ! This is the Chinese copy of the Gerber Strongarm !

The images and description the seller uses are of the Real Gerber Strongarm , making the sale of this copy Fraud ! How ever , I was not defrauded as I was expecting the very knife I got . If I had some how received the real deal , now that would have been something unexpected ! As is I got what I paid for !

On examining the knife , only half of the blade was sharp and the other half rather dull ? ( Hmmm - whats happening there ? )
I put the knife on my guided knife sharpener and very quickly discovered why the edge was a little funny . The factory grind was all over the place , almost like some one let a blind man grind the bevel .

Out with my 180 grit diamond sharpener , and start work on a new bevel . Yeah , putting down a new bevel really showed up how bad the original was . I cut a new bevel at around 20 deg each side ( total off 40deg = About ) . All I did was create a new bevel and then clean off the bur as best as possible . Now that 180 grit diamond really ate this steel , the blade was not what I would call hard at all .

Cutting rope , the working edge rolled . I was not that surprised as the blade steel was on the soft side and 20deg is maybe a little on the tight side . Good steel should handle 20deg with little issue , but then this is not good steel . After the test , a few light passes of 180 grit diamond and some leather stropping had the edge back .
I guess if you were looking for a knife that was easy to edge maintain , or maybe you had to use a river rock to keep it sharp ? This knife may have a purpose ! It's not always good to have super steel that is near impossible to keep sharp with a river rock .

Not the worst knife I have ever used and certainly not even close to the best .
Navy 440 Folding lock back = 100
Rat2 Aus 8 = 140
Crocbait = 140
Marttiini 7 = 480

And this one is = 150 ( Some perspective )
Last edited by old4570; Oct 05, 2020 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply