Oct 05, 2020, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone recognize this motor problem?

First time running the motor of this VTOL soon to be mapper. I get a loud screaming noise at full throttle, and a whiff of smoke.

Motor for Fixed-wing Mode 4120 KV430 on 6s. I have been told it happens running a large motor like this without a load? I feel no irregularity just turning the motor by hand.

VTOL motor problem (0 min 38 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2020, 06:29 PM
A man with too many toys
SO it did NOT pass the smoke test

First thing is to check the connectors between ESC and motor. I once got a motor with a cold solder joint on the connector and it sounded like that.

If it's all new and everything was sold as a package you have something defective. Contact store for a replacement.

Oct 05, 2020, 08:29 PM
B for Bruce
The shriek it made sometimes comes from ball bearings that are too dry. They don't use the most fancy grades at the prices we pay. Try a little oil on the side of the bearings and give it a few minutes for gravity to aid with getting some into the bearing past the dust shield. Then turn it over and do the same to the other bearing. This might well mean that you need to remove the end bell and shaft to see both bearings. Some are visible through the screw holes in the end bell and others are not.

Tht said there's some pretty funky things going on in the way it's pulsing on and off. Or is that you on the stick?
Oct 05, 2020, 10:10 PM
Sokol
sync loss, try changing the ESC timing angle to a smaller number.
Oct 08, 2020, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I will have a look at the ESC and maybe try some oil
Oct 08, 2020, 07:37 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
sync loss, try changing the ESC timing angle to a smaller number.
Too large of a prop can cause loss of sync problem. To test that theory see if it will run at full RPM without a prop.

Oct 08, 2020, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
the problem happens when i run it a full throttle without a prop. Bit worried that there might already be too much permanent damage done, saw just a whiff of smoke. Would that come from the bearings?
Oct 08, 2020, 11:25 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallx
the problem happens when i run it a full throttle without a prop. Bit worried that there might already be too much permanent damage done, saw just a whiff of smoke. Would that come from the bearings?
No. You have an electrical problem with the motor or ESC. Probably the motor. I would request a new motor and ESC from the store where you purchased it.

Did you purchase it as a combo?

Oct 08, 2020, 11:34 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallx
Not usually. And normally running without a prop won't cause the motor to draw very much power. But if the synch is lost it might be trying to feed power to the windings that are not at the proper point in the rotation and perhaps the windings are fighting each other. In that case the watts reading on a wattmeter would rise sharply in connection with the noise. And the noise in that case would be the singing of the windings like we get with the start up tones as they fight each other.

A lot would also depend on what the smoke smelled like. Burnt varnish from the windings has a very specific odor compared to ejected oil mist from too loose bearings that start chattering.
Oct 08, 2020, 01:25 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Not usually. And normally running without a prop won't cause the motor to draw very much power. But if the synch is lost it might be trying to feed power to the windings that are not at the proper point in the rotation and perhaps the windings are fighting each other. In that case the watts reading on a wattmeter would rise sharply in connection with the noise. And the noise in that case would be the singing of the windings like we get with the start up tones as they fight each other.
If it is really loosing sync with and without a prop; that only happens when the ESC and motor are incompatible or the motor windings are defective. Todays ESC's work with most motors so I would find that very unusual to have an incompatibility problem.

It's always best to buy a ESC/Motor combination from the same store that it known to be compatible. Also helps with warranty claims. Just send it all back and let the store figure out what needs replacing.

We need a lot more information:
1. Did you buy it as a combo?
2. Where did you buy it?
3. Exactly what's the make and model of the motor.
4. Exactly what's the make and model of the ESC.
5. What prop are you using?
6. What battery?
7. Is everything rated for 6s LiPo (22.2v) ?

Quick Reply