Oct 08, 2020, 07:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintbone
Yes, I forgot to mention that. The radio arrived yesterday. I think I now have everything here that I need for the project.
There isn't a manual with it. I guess that is available online?
HobbyKing usually has manuals in the "files" tab on the product page , here is the PDF file for your transmitter :
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...4a-m2-8338.pdf
Your transmitter is manufactured by FlySky , and then re-branded "HobbyKing" .

When you're ready to set up your servos , let me know and I'll show you how to do that .

Have you already soldered your connectors on the motor and ESC ?

BTW , leave that elbow joint on the transmitter antenna at 90 degrees permanently .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2020, 07:41 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Hey Al I'm a little unsure of myself here. If I install the horn now before the plane is built and the servos are installed how do I keep from getting them in the wrong place as to where they won't line up right with the servos? I hope that question makes sense. If not I'll try to make it better.
Go ahead and fashion the "V" pushrod , and use that as a guide for control horn placement . Once the "V" pushrod is connected to the control horns , the point of the "V" will be where the elevator servo will be located .

Do you have linkage stoppers for your pushrod ends ? If not , it might be best to use an "L" bend instead of a "Z" bend at your pushrod ends .... they are more easily removable .
Oct 09, 2020, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
HobbyKing usually has manuals in the "files" tab on the product page , here is the PDF file for your transmitter :
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...4a-m2-8338.pdf
Your transmitter is manufactured by FlySky , and then re-branded "HobbyKing" .

When you're ready to set up your servos , let me know and I'll show you how to do that .

Have you already soldered your connectors on the motor and ESC ?

BTW , leave that elbow joint on the transmitter antenna at 90 degrees permanently .
I haven't done any soldering yet. I have just been working on the plane. I'm slow.
Oct 09, 2020, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Go ahead and fashion the "V" pushrod , and use that as a guide for control horn placement . Once the "V" pushrod is connected to the control horns , the point of the "V" will be where the elevator servo will be located .

Do you have linkage stoppers for your pushrod ends ? If not , it might be best to use an "L" bend instead of a "Z" bend at your pushrod ends .... they are more easily removable .
Thanks. I did order those connectors.
Oct 09, 2020, 02:06 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I haven't done any soldering yet. I have just been working on the plane. I'm slow.
You'll need a fully charged battery and the ESC (Electronic Speed Control) to set up your servos . Do you see how everything is connected to the ESC , or do you want me to show you ?

The ESC has an internal circuit called the BEC (Battery Eliminating Circuit) that reduces the voltage from 12v to 5v to power the receiver and servos . Do not connect the 12v lipo battery directly to the receiver/servos , they operate on 5v or 6v max .
Oct 09, 2020, 02:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thanks. I did order those connectors.
Excellent , they make pushrod length adjustment easier .
Oct 09, 2020, 02:36 PM
Quote:
not as slow as me
Oct 09, 2020, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
You'll need a fully charged battery and the ESC (Electronic Speed Control) to set up your servos . Do you see how everything is connected to the ESC , or do you want me to show you ?

The ESC has an internal circuit called the BEC (Battery Eliminating Circuit) that reduces the voltage from 12v to 5v to power the receiver and servos . Do not connect the 12v lipo battery directly to the receiver/servos , they operate on 5v or 6v max .
I think I understand how it hooks up but it would still be good if you gave me detailed look. Thanks.
Oct 09, 2020, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=bisco;45614153]not as slow as me [/QUOTE

I hope it ain't no race. I felt the rabbit go by me last week.
Oct 09, 2020, 03:21 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I think I understand how it hooks up but it would still be good if you gave me detailed look. Thanks.
On the ESC : the red and black wires go to the battery with a "T" connector . It's very important to have the correct polarity : red to red , and black to black ..... or the ESC and battery will be damaged .

The group of three wires go to the motor with the 2mm bullet connectors , be sure to insulate all connections with heat shrink tube . After the bullet connectors are plugged in to each other , you can slide a heat shrink tube sleeve ( not shrunken ) over the connection . The order of connection of the three motor wires doesn't matter , if the motor turns in the wrong direction for your prop ..... just swap any two connections to reverse the motor turning direction . For safety , do all motor testing with the prop off ..... you can substitute a piece of tape for the prop to better see the turning direction .

The remaining plug on the ESC goes into channel 3 on the receiver .

Avoid handling the motor by the three wires , if the wires are bent back-and-forth a few too many times where they go into the motor ..... they will quickly fatigue and break .

This is the correct order of doing things every time :

1) With the throttle stick and throttle trim tab all the way down , turn on the transmitter .

2) Plug in the fully charged lipo battery , wait for the beeps to finish .

3) Fly the plane ( or test the motor or servos ) .

4) When the flight or testing is completed , unplug the battery .

5) Turn off the transmitter .
Oct 09, 2020, 03:55 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
To set up your servos :

1) Make sure the trim tabs on the transmitter for the right stick are centered .

2) Plug a servo into channel 1 , and plug the other servo into channel 2 ..... with the correct polarity ( ground-to-ground , and signal-to-signal ) . The 5v center pin is always in the center .

3) With the throttle stick all the way down : turn on the transmitter , then plug in the lipo battery . When the receiver light comes on , the servos will center .

4) Install the servo arms onto the servos with the arms as close to 90 degrees as possible to the length of the servo . Install the small screw to hold the servo arms in place .

5) Unplug the lipo battery , then turn off the transmitter .
Oct 09, 2020, 04:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
When the time comes to install the prop on your Super Easy , the letters/numbers printed on the prop need to face the direction of travel ( front of the plane ) .
Oct 09, 2020, 05:49 PM
i'm making notes from both of these threads, with post # references, so i don't have to search the entire thread every time i forget something
Oct 09, 2020, 06:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
i'm making notes from both of these threads, with post # references, so i don't have to search the entire thread every time i forget something
Good thinking !

I'm trying to anticipate what you guys need to know ahead of time as much as possible !
Oct 09, 2020, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Good thinking !

I'm trying to anticipate what you guys need to know ahead of time as much as possible !
Thanks for your help. I think I'm ready to glue up the plane tomorrow.
flint

Quick Reply