Oct 05, 2020, 10:03 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
Build Log

Mig-15 90mm

Welcome to a mig-15 build. For the past few months, I have been modelling up a 90mm mig-15 design in cad and have recently got around to getting the parts laser cut. The model has a wingspan of 1130mm and a length of 1139mm.
The model will be bungee launched so no retracts or UC
My aim is to run it on 6s 4000mha with a 90mm fan. The model will have flaps and use 6 servos. I am not sure how long the build will take but should be a fun winter project.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2020, 11:10 AM
microlight1
Thread OP

laser parts

A nice set of parts to start the build
Oct 05, 2020, 11:31 AM
Foam addict
Nice work but isn’t that size model better suited to a 80 or even 70mm fan?
Hobby top gun Mig15 is 90mm with a 1.55m span which flies really well on any setup over 6S.
A 6S 70mm setup should almost allow you to use scale ducting.
Oct 06, 2020, 01:59 AM
microlight1
Thread OP

Fan size

Interesting...I have just been looking at top gun Mig15 for its power set up. The problem I have is when I look at the model I have drawn a 90mm fan still looks tiny inside the fuselage.. I have seen the Aero-Naut Panther F9F fly on a 90mm fan and that is a similar size. I am building the fuselage last which will give me time to think..
Last edited by microlight01; Oct 07, 2020 at 03:00 AM.
Oct 08, 2020, 12:37 PM
My Mig-15 turned out to be around 1080 mm and 1300 grams and flies nicely with 69 mm Hacker StreamFan-3400 supplied from 4S2650 - please see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...out-1-10-scale

Of course, more power could be more fun
Jan
Oct 08, 2020, 12:51 PM
Pro Hoarder
Your model looks good. I say build it as is ..you can always install a smaller fan if you feel the need at a later date..with a 6s power system at a mid power level you will have a nice flying jet
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 09, 2020, 08:12 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoII
My Mig-15 turned out to be around 1080 mm and 1300 grams and flies nicely with 69 mm Hacker StreamFan-3400 supplied from 4S2650 - please see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...out-1-10-scale

Of course, more power could be more fun
Jan
Thanks for the link, I wish I had seen your build during the design process.. It is funny when you are deigning in cad, you can zoom into the model as much as you like and you lose that sense of scale. When I printed the plans out on A0 paper and it looked big. Thanks to the comments I have just checked it against my against my 70mm Hawk and very surprised with the results... Maybe an 80mm will be better The Hawks weighs about the same as your Mig
Oct 14, 2020, 01:39 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
Started building the fin and then very quickly came to the conclusion using 1/16 ply was not a good idea, very heavy (strong). After re cutting all the parts in balsa the fin is much lighter.
Oct 14, 2020, 10:40 AM
Pro Hoarder
You do have a lot of structure in your design...how do you plan to cover this? If you use film to keep the weight down it wont be too bad..If you sheet it and plank it you could remove a fair amount of the structure. Other than the carry through formers and main spar I dont think I would use any plywood
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 16, 2020, 02:37 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
I think Ply was the wrong material The fin changed to balsa is so much lighter. I've made progress and covered the frame work now in 1/16 balsa. It actually came out very light. I will do the same with the tail plane.
Oct 21, 2020, 02:58 PM
I never get enough of my UMX MiG-15. You might understand I dislike the UMX MiG-15 for its short flight time. Therefore I have four batteries
This jet cannot disappoint in any way. I'll keep following your progress, nothing but good can come from this!
Oct 22, 2020, 01:04 PM
While I like my Mig, I fly it with a great respect. As I have found, the combination of swept wings with a center of gravity located well above the trust line could lead to "interesting" consequences. If you plan to hand launch (likely not, I guess) you plane I would recommend to pay attention also to balance along the vertical axis.

Our club member is a formed AF pilot who learnt to fly jets in Mig-15UTI (in sixties) and confirmed that Mig was not a forgiving plane to fly. That is probably OK, a fighter jet should focus on performance.
Oct 26, 2020, 07:06 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoII
While I like my Mig, I fly it with a great respect. As I have found, the combination of swept wings with a center of gravity located well above the trust line could lead to "interesting" consequences. If you plan to hand launch (likely not, I guess) you plane I would recommend to pay attention also to balance along the vertical axis.

Our club member is a formed AF pilot who learnt to fly jets in Mig-15UTI (in sixties) and confirmed that Mig was not a forgiving plane to fly. That is probably OK, a fighter jet should focus on performance.
I was reading your Mig experience and picked up on the interesting flight envelope regarding the pitching up on launch. I will have to work out some critical cg locations on this one!
The model will be Bungee launched as we fly from a grass runway. so with any luck will help
Nov 19, 2020, 05:15 AM
microlight1
Thread OP
Just a quick update, Tail plane fin and elevator are now built and now onto the wings. I decided to keep the first few ribs as the original 1/16 ply that I got cut for strength and replace the remaining with balsa to save weight. I had to change wood thickness in places which gave me a few headaches as some parts needed redesigning to fit.
Nov 19, 2020, 11:40 AM
Pro Hoarder
The wing looks good..Well thought out..How do you plan to attach to the fuse carry through ?
The box in the middle of the root rib? Or will you add a tube and sleeve ? I see what looks like the tube in the drawings
Last edited by turbonut; Nov 20, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply