Oct 01, 2020, 01:34 AM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Discussion

Lemon LM0052 Receiver antenna?

I just received the LM0052 receiver. I am using the receiver to replace a Berg receiver which has been rock solid for years. My interest in the LM0052 is the vario and altimeter. I installed the receiver in a 2 meter high performance sailplane. The fuse is made up of fiberglass primarily and two small carbon stringers that run from front to back in the fuse. I installed the receiver leaving the antennas in the fuse one facing forward and the other to the rear. It did not pass a range check. I then penetrated the rear antenna through the fuse. It then passed the range check. The antenna facing forward I left in the fuse. The first flight test I lost complete control and the vario was intermittent. I regained control and landed safely. My concern is that it did pass a range check. What would you recommend? I did not connect any of the other items in the package to the receiver.
Thank you.
John
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2020, 07:53 AM
The antennas should be at 90 degrees to each other for best reception. Yogi
Oct 01, 2020, 04:27 PM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Update with the installation of the LH0052. I decided to penetrate the other antenna please see attached photos. After the new install I rebound the receiver and set failsafe with slight down spoilers.
The transmitter I am using the the IX12.

I again did a very through range check. 30 meters with a complete radius. Range check checked good as did the previous flight.

I lost control again today at 380'. Hardover right turn and no motor control at that time. I again was able to get control back and land safely.

At this point I am not confident in the receiver. Any ideas.

Thank you,
John
Oct 01, 2020, 05:23 PM
Sec/Treasurer, Houston Hawks
Transmission and reception on 2.4 is from the side of the antenna. You have those antennas at 180° meaning they both are receiving from the same direction. You need to orient them in a V shape at 90° to one another. That way when one is blocked the other will receive.
Oct 01, 2020, 05:43 PM

Lemon receivers

I've used the Lemon receivers in a number of electric sailplanes without any range problems and have complete confidence in them. I've flown my new E-Flitz to fairly high altitudes and long slant ranges without any indication of holds or frame losses.

It is imperative that you have the antennas clear of any conductive materials and if using only two antennas, make sure that they are at 90 ° to each other and that at least one is visible to you, regardless of airplane orientation.
Oct 01, 2020, 10:19 PM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Do you think rather than drilling another hole in the fuse just put a satellite receiver in the aft part of the boom? I find it strange that I get a good range check doing a 30 meter arc. Also when I did loose a signal it seem not to go into the fail safe mode.

Will a spectrum satellite antenna be compatible?

Thank you...
Oct 02, 2020, 06:21 AM
Hi, I had similar issues with an original Spektrum receiver in my Staufenbiel Vitesse. Placing a satellite receiver in the vertical stabilizer solved any reception problems. ... btw ... I use Lemon receivers in my balsa models without any range issues ... same in a carbon-reinforced fuselage. I would drill holes in the side of the fuselage, fiddle the antennas through and bend them in a 45 degree angle backwards. Regards, Friedrich
Oct 02, 2020, 01:13 PM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Your right. I should just drill the holes and locate the existing antennas correctly. I just ordered a satellite receiver as well. In the meantime I took the receiver out and put in in another sailplane that has no CF and is just fiberglass and not located the antennas correctly. V shaped drilled on each side of the fuse. Had no range issues.

The other fuse where I had the issues has just a few carbon stringers running the length of the fuse. Also kevlar weave in the fiberglass. Does kevlar react with the receivers. I would think not but maybe I am wrong.

John
Oct 02, 2020, 08:24 PM
Sec/Treasurer, Houston Hawks
This is from another thread, but you should find it useful.

http://open-txu.org/home/continuing-...n-to-antennas/
Oct 03, 2020, 01:15 AM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Fabulous article!
Oct 07, 2020, 12:49 PM
Tom Boyd
For what its work I'll pass on my personal experience w/ the LM0052 rx and my solution for it.

I experienced several "out of control" situations similar to what was discussed before I realized it was a brown out and not signal loss that was causing the problem (w/ two different sailplanes).

Turns out the LM0052 telemetry rx requires a relative high voltage (something like 4.5v) or it will brown out. (Other Lemon Rxs are 3.5V) I was running 5V out of the BEC on a cheap ESC, and using digital servos. Digital servos can pull a lot of amps for albeit for a very short time (milliseconds) and if the ESC is not quick enough on the BEC the V will momentarily drop and you will brown out.

I am not an electronics expert so did not have the electronic equipment to test but those of you who are experts in this area could perhaps evaluate it. I can tell you thru my experience that the momentary drop is quick enough that it does not alarm thru telemetry in the Tx, but apparently it is long enough to reboot the Rx.

Since my servos were low voltage I could not run a higher voltage out of my BEC, so I upgraded to quality ESC (in two cases I went to Castle Talon Rx (using MKS 6100 servos). This solved my issues and I have not experienced any loss of control since.
Oct 13, 2020, 01:29 AM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation. I have written lemon r/c and they have asked me multiple times what BEC I am using. I am using a separate BEC, manufactures name is "the ultimate BEC". I ordered a satellite antenna that I will receive in a few days. Will give that a go and see if I still have the same problem. If I do I will look into the BEC.
Oct 16, 2020, 05:46 PM
Big Island Hawaii
Thread OP
Wanted to complete the thread. Thanks everyone for your advise. After relocating the antennas and installing a satellite receiver the system is working fine.
Thanks,
JM

Quick Reply