Sep 30, 2020, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sebart Sport Cessna

This model follows on from the Shark, Stev series which are sort of sport trainers by moving now to a Sport Scale Trainer. I'm just doing a few shots with some comments. The quality is is well up and nothing to disappoint. However, I fly off grass fields and while the small wheels and spats might look good they made me worry a little about trip overs unless the grass is always well trimmed.

I had plenty of spare wheels so I fitted larger diameter wheels and because of that I also replaced the nose wheel leg.

You'll notice Sebastiano has designed in the slats as has been usual with the Shark and Stev and they worked brilliantly on them with no damage to aerobatics so I'm hoping they'll be the same here.

All of my servos are Hitech HS 225 apart from a Turnigy TGY-225MG for the nose leg steering. A YEP 60amp ESC is in place. Motor-wise I made a change from those suggested. The Cessna is recommended as either 30E (using a Hacker A30-10 and 3S) or 50E using a 50 size Hacker with 5S but me being me I decided to go half way with a Himark 5020-670 matched to some 4S 4500 that I have to hand.

I leave it here but add in a few details as I go but see what you think. Sorry, haven't maidened yet.
Last edited by David Hipperson; Sep 30, 2020 at 10:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2020, 02:15 AM
Very pleased to see the models progress David. I think the 4S set up will be perfect.

Looking forward to the post maiden report.
Oct 01, 2020, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Everything (well almost everything) on the Cessna is easy to handle and mine was accurate throughout however I'll make these few comments.

I have a couple of Hacker A30-10XL in my motor selection but I felt that with 3S this might be a little low on power but I do think that as a pure trainer that may well be perfect. Having had a 50E Sukhoi which I'd flown on both 5S and 6S I thought that for some it might be a bit over the top hence my choice of 4S plus, of course, a degree of laziness on my part.

If you are very lucky you may either wish to buy or have in stock the suggested A5060 servos and they weren't in my stuff but I know and trust the HS225s and they fitted perfectly plus the leads are long enough to stretch out of the wings without extensions. The minor problem although it did cause some cursing at my end was that the nose servo is well buried and so it may take a bit of fiddling before you get it fitted in place and set up.

I'll do a photo but I did not glue the rear window in place but used some tiny screws so that if I did need to get to the rear of the fuselage or access to the Rx I would not have any hassles.

Seb always gives very good recommendations for throw set ups so if you can please use them as you will find they will work well.

We are due for high winds and rain over the course of this weekend so it is unlikely I'll be flying PLUS due to Covid we have not been able to fly until recently and up to now I haven't gone to the field (it's been several months!) so before I do anything with the Cessna I'll fly one of my existing models and see if I can remember which way the sticks work.
Last edited by David Hipperson; Oct 01, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
Oct 01, 2020, 06:14 PM
A man with too many toys
Too bad it does not have flaps or it would be a good STOL airplane. These days I don't buy airplanes unless they have flaps - so much more fun to fly.

Oct 01, 2020, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
Well, equally bad that you have not flown a Sebart fitted with slats. They can be flown at ridiculously slow speeds even to the stage of holding it in a hover if you can handle the throttle well. Having said that my Sebart Sukhoi 30E could also be brought virtually to a standstill in the slightest breeze.

I agree that flaps can be fun but having tried a number of models with poorly designed flaps I no longer consider it to be a priority.

STOL flying really comes down to design, weight and, to some degree, power. If you have those in place most can be flown in a STOL like manner.
Oct 25, 2020, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson
This model follows on from the Shark, Stev series which are sort of sport trainers by moving now to a Sport Scale Trainer. I'm just doing a few shots with some comments. The quality is is well up and nothing to disappoint. However, I fly off grass fields and while the small wheels and spats might look good they made me worry a little about trip overs unless the grass is always well trimmed.

I had plenty of spare wheels so I fitted larger diameter wheels and because of that I also replaced the nose wheel leg.

You'll notice Sebastiano has designed in the slats as has been usual with the Shark and Stev and they worked brilliantly on them with no damage to aerobatics so I'm hoping they'll be the same here.

All of my servos are Hitech HS 225 apart from a Turnigy TGY-225MG for the nose leg steering. A YEP 60amp ESC is in place. Motor-wise I made a change from those suggested. The Cessna is recommended as either 30E (using a Hacker A30-10 and 3S) or 50E using a 50 size Hacker with 5S but me being me I decided to go half way with a Himark 5020-670 matched to some 4S 4500 that I have to hand.

I leave it here but add in a few details as I go but see what you think. Sorry, haven't maidened yet.
I like it.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
Finally, the wind and rain finished and here was a calm morning.

I'd done a couple of things before hand the most notable being a shift to a Scorpion 710kv motor with a 13 X 6 prop.

As I said the weather was fine with a breeze so light that take off direction did not matter. Take off was really just a matter of opening up the power and I let it lift off the grass surface after about 15 meters. I must have got it right as after the first circuit no change to trim was needed. Straight and level is rock steady and after another couple of circuits I could let it run hands off.

I may be extra cautious but after trying the model a couple of times I called it quits so I could take it home and check over everything. Note each flight used 30% out of the 5000 4S packs.

I may change the ESC as it seems to have bigger steps than I like at each click of the throttle. Plus I think a change of prop to a 14 X 7 may be a bit better in the climb.

Landing was a piece of cake other than realising it does glide very well so the approach is better from a lower altitude than I'd started. All it all good though.

Quick Reply