Oct 17, 2020, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliegenbargmbh
I used xps to build the wing with kevlar and carbon fibre coverd.my xps is 32kg/cmb.its a little hard to recover if distoried or crash.its toughness is weaker than eps foam.
Hey fliegenbargmbh, that's good to know. I might try a full wing of it first to compare the weight and structure of the two foams. The eps is a lot easier to dent than the xps but maybe due to it being so much lighter it may be more resilient and bouncy on impact.

Thank you for sharing that, it helps me a lot.
Last edited by emilanton; Oct 17, 2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Misspelled
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2020, 12:27 PM
Thread OP

Xps/eps wing cores.

I went and cut 2 cores with the pw75 airfoil and it turned out very light which is ideal since it's a thicker airfoil (is 1"/25mm thick at the root).

I slightly changed the plan form of the wing this time so it has a very slight forward sweep at the trailing edge. Not sure how it will fare in terms of performance but we will see!

I had to add a balsa trailing edge as the eps was thin and a little flimsy at the end since I'm using the 11kg/m2 stuff, and it is only about 4mm at the TE.

I used an orange xps this time, easier to see the imperfections and looks cool without colouring the wing.
Oct 24, 2020, 08:11 AM
Thread OP

New hotwire templates.

I bought some aluminium sheeting to make some more accurate airfoil templates. Makes all the difference going from grained wood to smooth metal. Here are the pw75 foils.

I put them next to the wooden foils and found out how inaccurate they were haha, still worked well none the less.

I'll be experimenting with more wing cores next week, still waiting on my receiver to get the v2 up and running.

No decent flying weather here at the moment either

Will keep you all posted soon.
Nov 01, 2020, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

Slim receiver

I got my side pin receiver in the mail today, super happy about that. I can now set up the v2 with the slimmer airfoil.

And other news we just got our 2nd quarantine, so no flying fir the next 2-4 weeks.

I guess it's time to build more prototypes for when I can actually fly.

I finally have a weekend without work coming up so will get some serious building done
Nov 02, 2020, 12:24 AM
it seemed that the following month we have to stay at home,but have enough time to do something ,waitting for your new progress :-)
Nov 02, 2020, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliegenbargmbh
it seemed that the following month we have to stay at home,but have enough time to do something ,waitting for your new progress :-)
Hey fliegenbarggmbh, What part of the world are you in? Germany?

Yeah, I might sneak out of the city one weekend to the farm house to have a fly. I'll have both my prototypes ready to fly and compare then

Luckily I can still work as I am in construction and self employed.
Nov 02, 2020, 06:04 AM
I am in Germany, today Germany lock down.
Nov 05, 2020, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Welcome to lockdown friend!
Nov 05, 2020, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
I've had to take a few days off work due to my health, so I slept a lot and got to spend a few hours trying out the new hotwire templates.

They work really well, I get a much smoother and more even cut, and also a much more accurate airfoil.

I'll spend a bit more time tomorrow working on the newly cut V1 cores. And also cut some more v2 cores.

Also! I've finally sourced some reasonably priced epp in europe, so I have an order on the way to start my first epp version of the v1 and v2.

More posts tomorrow
Nov 06, 2020, 02:47 PM
Thread OP

V2 is nearly ready!

I decided to gut the v1 (decided to call it the Chubbee!) Because I am remaking the wing with the new cores, and making a much better quality build this time.

I'm making a build video of that now so will post it here soon. I am super amateur at making these videos so it will be a laugh!

Here is the v2 with all the radio gear installed and just needs some lead to balance it out. Apart from that we are pretty much ready for our first flight!

Lighting is super poor since I've moved to the garage underground, so you'll have to bare with the poor visuals.

This thing is much slicker than the Chubbee (V1) and will be 15 to 20 grams lighter too.

Being a slimmer airfoil I imagine it won't like the weight as much as the PW75 does. But we will see on the D-day.
Nov 08, 2020, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
So I've remade the V1/Chubbee with fresh new cores and recycled the old parts - spars, elevons, pushrods...

I sanded down the old elevons to make them lighter and thinner so they are closer to the V2 elevons now. Just needs a paint job then I can cover it and reinstall the radio gear. And I've made all the parts higher quality and more detailed like the V2 so it will be a much more refined machine!

I'm excited to peice it together and have them both ready for testing.

You can already see the difference in the finish of the wing compared to the original. So much smoother and even.
Nov 11, 2020, 03:04 PM
Thread OP

V2 is good to go for a test flight friday!

I started a job in the country which is perfect for me to test my creations at work! On my break ofcourse...

Heres the new flying pad for the next 3 months

There will be some sweet early morning flying to be had here! Windless sunrises most mornings, too cold for morning thermals but ideal maiden weather.

Will post flight videos friday.
Nov 14, 2020, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
So I got delayed for the test flights, classic.

But Tomorrow is the day, I have the whole day off and I plan to get up for sunrise and test fly the V2. Its forecasted for rain but the morning should be perfect for a few spins

Will post videos tomorrow morning.

The new Chubbee is nearly ready to go too.

You can see the two side by side, I'm getting the hang of the build now.
Nov 15, 2020, 06:50 AM
Thread OP

V2 (Sparrow) Maiden Flight

Well as promised, I took the liberty of having the maiden flight on a terrible day for flying

And here's the footage, with a stellar plunge into the ground at the end! It's still in one piece though so no worries there.

I can't wait to test it out in calm conditions and see how well it thermals, it felt great to launch, but I really couldn't tell how it performs in the windy and turbulent conditions.

Sparrow 32"/800mm SAL Glider Maiden and CRASH! (3 min 2 sec)

Enjoy!
Nov 15, 2020, 09:27 AM
Hit me with your rhythm stick
Braveaux!

My flying sessions usually end the same way

Quick Reply