This thread is privately moderated by Cox PT-19, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 25, 2020, 02:47 PM
Kim
Thread OP
Discussion

More "Old Days Babble": Midwest's Profile AD-1 Skyraider

So, there I was, MINDING my own business, when one of those vagabond visions of days long-gone slides through my tired brain.

In the mid-1970's, a couple years before getting my first reliable radio control system, we were still cranking out a fair number of control line model airplanes. Sunday flydays weren't what they'd been just a few years earlier, with girls and motorcycles having taken the lead interest, but we still managed to get some flying done.

Midwest Model Co. had released several profile control line model kits featuring (as I remember): a P-51 Mustang, P-63 Kingcobra, BF-109, and my AD-1 Skyraider. All were scaled to about the same physical size, with the intent of clubs and individual flyers staging aerial combat matches.

I sorta wanted the Kingcobra, but the Skyraider was sitting on a shelf in the hobby store, so that was it. My budget was WAY too tight to risk a plane like this to combat flying, though I think I may have flown it in the same circle with Kevin's Midwest P-51 a few times.

I built it on an overturned dresser drawer in my tiny apartment on North Park Street in Cape. So if you happen to purchase some antique furniture, and find glue blobs, pencil marks, and X-ACTO scrapings on the underside of a drawer, CONGRATULATIONS!...you've also purchased an antique control line building board!

The Skyraider was a large model for my well-worn .35, but still flew OK, with scale-like loops and horizontal 8's, AND, with the lower speed allowing me to do full-circle touch and goes on the paved ramp at the airport---running it's Perfect Brand wheels totally bald in the process.

I eventually sold it to a guy I now occasionally fly with, who still talks about what a great plane it was (sometimes even going so far as to giving me credit for building it). So maybe it's his fault that I ordered a set of plans (kits are pretty rare, and REAL high-dollar when they do appear) for my old Able Dog.

Don't know if it will ever get built, but as the builders here will probably agree, it can be immensely satisfying to just look over a set of vintage plans, and daydream about the time we first laid eyes on them.
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Sep 25, 2020 at 02:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply