F5J Video Explanation with FPV Footage

Here's a fun video from YouTuber RC-flying & more with some F5J footage from the 2020 Samba Cup.

Splash

F5J Soaring with FPV

Here's a fun video from YouTuber RC-flying & more with some F5J footage from the 2020 Samba Cup. He flys his Explorer and gives a synopsis of the F5J competition format and how it is scored. The FPV footage is interesting and shows the Explorer flying in a thermal. Finally the landing approach is shown and he nails a 50 pointer. If you are interested in F5J, this video is worth a watch and if you really want to dive into more details on the contest format, you can check out the F5J Primer at the link below.

Click Here to Visit the F5J Primer Page

Sep 24, 2020, 09:14 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Is that a typical F5J landing? It seemed pretty hard on the plane to me.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Sep 24, 2020, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Is that a typical F5J landing? It seemed pretty hard on the plane to me.
No it is not.
Sep 24, 2020, 09:48 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I thought the same thing. Much harder than I do mine.
Sep 24, 2020, 12:06 PM
Beautiful video
Sep 24, 2020, 05:04 PM
DS Junkie
Got the spins watching the fpv footage of the thermal!
Sep 25, 2020, 12:06 AM
If it flies I like it.
He must have a stout gearbox shaft to withstand such landings. Not to mention a stout motor mount.
Sep 25, 2020, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
He must have a stout gearbox shaft to withstand such landings. Not to mention a stout motor mount.

Occasional fast landing is not a problem if you have Schambeck or Reisenauer motor. One might do it for an example because of being late and coming in fast, with no time to slow plane down.

But there are other problems. Already light lamination F3J wings are easy to damage in overly hard landings, and F5J even more so. Delaminations at 45 deg direction appear sometimes surprisingly easy to center panel especially close to wing joiners and wing leading edge. Also wing joiners, nose cones etc. are easy to damage.

The opening picture is slightly misleading because it shows F3J style landing circle. And plane lands exactly to center - obviously because it looks good. However, in F5J one gets full 50 points from 1m radius. It is mostly very easy to achieve unless one comes in grossly too late or plane gets badly upset by turbulence in final approach.
Sep 25, 2020, 11:21 AM
Great video. On light models I prefer the “flop” which is a stall over the spot. Heavy models can be lightly dorked.
Sep 25, 2020, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Great video. On light models I prefer the “flop” which is a stall over the spot. Heavy models can be lightly dorked.
Yes, that is also my style. Emphasis on "lightly dorked" :-)

I would say that most common F5J landing mistake is a "gentle" full size style flaring that is extended to the point that pilot hits his legs with wing leading edge. Auch On wet grass plane can also slide surprisingly long distance.
Sep 25, 2020, 12:42 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
That's pretty cool, Jason, thanks for sharing.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons

Quick Reply