Nov 19, 2020, 09:50 PM

Habu STS RF9.5 DX8 G2

I have a DX8 G2 2.07 and RF9.5. I am using my DX8 to fly a Habu sts at my RC field. I want to use my DX8 with RF9.5 to fly the Habu sts on the sim. His can I set up the sim so the same SAFE switch B operates the SAFE settings for the Habu sts on the sim?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2020, 07:57 AM
MSgt USAF Ret.
I would think so, you would need to go into the channel assignment in RF and choose the right channel/switch.
Nov 21, 2020, 08:44 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
To get the DX8G2 to work with RF9.5, the first thing you'll need is a Spektrum WS2000, which is a USB receiver that will make your transmitter appear to Windows as a game controller.

You bind a model setup on your transmitter to the WS2000, just as if the WS2000 was a real airplane and receiver.

Over in RealFlight, you'll then want to set up your controller profile to map the transmitter's channels to channels in the RealFlight software.

I've tested the following details with RF8 HHE and a WS1000, but I believe the newer versions still work the same way. Apologies if they do not. Maybe HH made this easier with 9.5???

The translation from Spektrum channels to Windows game controls works like this:

Throttle (Spektrum channel 1) = Y-Axis (DirectX Input: Y)
Aileron (2) = Z-Axis (Z)
Elevator (3) = X-Rotation (Rx)
Rudder (4) = X-Axis (X)
Gear (5) = Y-Rotation (Ry)
Aux1 (6) = Z-Rotation and Button 1 (button is pressed when channel is at -100%) (Rz)
Aux2 (7) = Slider and Button 2 (GetSlider(1))
Aux3 (8) = Dial and Button 3 (GetSlider(0))

In RealFlight, you then want to map Windows game controls to RF Channels like this:

Channel 1 - Aileron = Z-Axis (in RF8.5, I also had to select "Reverse" on this channel)
Channel 2 - Elevator = X Rotation
Channel 3 - Throttle = Y-Axis
Channel 4 - Rudder = X-Axis (I had to "Reverse" this one too)
Channel 5 - Dual Rates = Unassigned
Channel 6 - Flaps = Z-Rotation
Channel 7 - Smoke = Unassigned
Channel 8 - Mode = Y-Rotation

So you can see that throttle, elevator, aileron, and rudder all get connected through from the controller to RF. The Flaps channel on the transmitter, Aux1, goes to Channel 6 in RF. The Gear channel on the transmitter, most commonly used to control the SAFE flight modes, is Channel 8 in RF.

That's how you would set up the controls in order to make RF work like your Habu.
Nov 21, 2020, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
To get the DX8G2 to work with RF9.5, the first thing
Thanks much for that great post!!

All those gyrations for sure underscore what the biggest "challenge" (PIA) is with RealFlight!!!

Gene K
Nov 21, 2020, 09:34 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Thanks. I hope all of that is still accurate with RF9.5. I don't see why it wouldn't be, but anything can happen.

I'd upgrade if HH would ever get the Apprentice S to fly correctly. I know I've whined about this for a long time, but nobody seems to want to fix what's a very simple thing. In RF8 HHE when they added support for SAFE, they set up the Apprentice S like a Mini Apprentice. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is because the Mini Apprentice has settings for SAFE that are totally different. The Mini Apprentice has an AIL>RUD mix that the Apprentice S doesn't have, and the SAFE THR>ELE mix is also different. What's horribly frustrating is that these things would be VERY easy to change within the configuration for the RF virtual flight controller - I'm not talking about redesigning the model or changing programming. Jason M, if you're reading this, PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!!! This is a big deal to me because I have several real planes that have the Apprentice S receiver installed, and the RealFlight versions can't fly the same way. RF is fine otherwise, but I'm still using Phoenix because the Apprentice S works properly on that one.
Nov 23, 2020, 11:36 AM
MSgt USAF Ret.
Nice thorough guide flightengr. Thank you...I needed that too!
Nov 30, 2020, 02:07 PM
i want to buy real flight, and need a compatible laptop. horizon can tell me the requirements, but i can't find those detailed specs on any laptops i'm looking at.
can anyone guide me?

thank you!
Nov 30, 2020, 02:21 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
The requirements aren't too high. There was another version of RF that used the latest-and-greatest video card and other stuff you'd find typical for gaming, but it's not RF9.5. It was called "RF X", but that seems to have disappeared from the Web site. it didn't go over very well.

From the RealFlight site:

https://www.realflight.com/support/k...=RF8&q=19-1002
Nov 30, 2020, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
The requirements aren't too high. There was another version of RF that used the latest-and-greatest video card and other stuff you'd find typical for gaming, but it's not RF9.5. It was called "RF X", but that seems to have disappeared from the Web site. it didn't go over very well.

From the RealFlight site:

https://www.realflight.com/support/k...=RF8&q=19-1002
thanks!
if i linked the laptop, do you think you could tell if it would work?

the issue i read about is direct x 9 being required, and 12 not working, which comes with windows 10 now.

and not being able to load 9 onto windows 10

i asked horizon, but they just resent their required specs.

i don't evenknow what 'administrator access required' means

btw, i'm going to purchase from steam.com, i can't see paying for a dvd player on a laptop. they are expensive, and few and far between.
Dec 08, 2020, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
I've played RF9 in VR with a Rift and Quest 1 (with Link and wireless with Virtual Desktop). With either the Rift or Quest w/Link there really is not much difference. That is, colors are still very washed out and you get a lot of sky color banding at night. I doubt that the Quest 2 will do any better (I have also preordered one).

Using my Quest Wireless with Virtual Desktop (google how to do this) is better color-wise and not so washed out, but you still get night sky banding.

Actually, RF9 in VR looks best with my Vive Pro. Much better colors and no night sky banding.

I think the problem with Oculus headsets is that their screens are only 8-bit and the RF graphics engine is still dx9. Some developers have gotten around this ok but unfortunately RF has not.
When using the Quest2, are you actually seeing the airfield in vr, or just watching on the desktop, through the headset? The latter is all I’ve figured out. Not much of an upgrade from just using computer. I’m hoping it has potential to fly in actual VR!
Dec 08, 2020, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattroth54
When using the Quest2, are you actually seeing the airfield in vr, or just watching on the desktop, through the headset? The latter is all I’ve figured out. Not much of an upgrade from just using computer. I’m hoping it has potential to fly in actual VR!
No, it shows up in VR if you are already in VR. If you just project it to a desktop window it will look flat-screen 2D.
Dec 09, 2020, 07:36 AM
Quote:
No, it shows up in VR if you are already in VR. If you just project it to a desktop window it will look flat-screen 2D.

What do I have to do to get it into VR? The RF manual suggests it automatically senses headset is plugged in and changes itself to VR mode. I’m not seeing this happen.
Dec 09, 2020, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattroth54
What do I have to do to get it into VR? The RF manual suggests it automatically senses headset is plugged in and changes itself to VR mode. I’m not seeing this happen.
I always find it best to startup the Oculus Desktop app first and then start RF9 from my PC desktop shortcut. Your headset need to be on your head during rf9 startup in order to sense VR btw. Try a a few things yourself and if you cannot get it to go into VR I suggest you contact RealFlight support and ask them for help. Good luck mate.
Dec 09, 2020, 08:25 AM
Quote:
I always find it best to startup the Oculus Desktop app first and then start RF9 from my PC desktop shortcut. Your headset need to be on your head during rf9 startup in order to sense VR btw. Try a a few things yourself and if you cannot get it to go into VR I suggest you contact RealFlight support and ask them for help. Good luck mate.
You’ve laid out the simple stuff. Just want to make sure I’m not missing the simple stuff like “did you turn it on?” I tried the above and a few other things. Still no dice. Tech support, here I come! Thanks much!
Dec 17, 2020, 01:12 PM
Flying with a "higher power"
Is there a link to a list of all of the models included in the RealFlight RF9.5 or 9.0? Could someone post the list?

I found it https://www.realflight.com/products/...einfo=aircraft
Last edited by rarner; Dec 17, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply