What the Heck Wednesday - RC Warbird Crash

In this weeks installment of What the Heck Wednesday I present you this RC warbird crash video.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

In this weeks installment of What the Heck Wednesday I present you this RC warbird crash video. This plane was tough enough to survive several crashes and I'm not sure it ever got to properly feel the air for more than a few seconds each flight.

In the first "flight" you can see the battery fall out of the bottom and dangle by its wires. The plane pitches up sharply into a stall and crashes. The carnage continues for two more flights and it never really seems to want to fly. Could it be the CG is off? Controls backwards? Overweight? What do you guys think is going on with this airplane?

RC Plane Warbird Crash (0 min 48 sec)

Sep 23, 2020, 09:23 AM
Smish-smash
Which Hurricane is that? Easy Sky? If so, good luck!
Sep 23, 2020, 10:53 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
First 2 looked tail heavy. Last one, who knows?
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Sep 23, 2020, 12:10 PM
DFS#000178
I flew one of these for a buddy who spent a very long time detailing it. Didn't handlaunch it but flew it with the gear. CG checked out and everything.

It was hands down the sketchiest thing I've ever flown. It was a nightmare. I got it back down in one piece with the right side up and breathed a sigh of relief and quickly declared I was never flying it again..
Sep 23, 2020, 01:27 PM
Smish-smash
Hey, Rampage, if it had gear it was the TopRC or Weekender Hurricane. I had one of those and put over 100 flights on it in just over a month. Fun little plane.

But as I mentioned above, if it was the Sonic/Easy Sky 680mm Hurricane, it's a little devil. I haven't read a single review of that plane in which it flew successfully. Which, of course, makes me want to get one to see what all the fuss is about. I have the 680mm FW190 and it flies fine. Flies even better now I've turned it into a D-9!

Either way, I agree that Jason Cole's Hurri is (was?) quite tail heavy. As for that last launch? Who knows! Let go too late?
Sep 23, 2020, 08:59 PM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Looks like a combination of two, maybe three things.

First, those were all horribly weak throws. Horrible as in 9yo girl horrible.

Possibly one, or both of two much throw resulting in too much pull up and stall, or lack of experience with a plane meant to go at a higher rate of speed that was moving slow and giving too much control input.

There is my .02. Give a refund if you wish.
Sep 23, 2020, 09:09 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I flew one of these for a buddy who spent a very long time detailing it. Didn't handlaunch it but flew it with the gear. CG checked out and everything.

It was hands down the sketchiest thing I've ever flown. It was a nightmare. I got it back down in one piece with the right side up and breathed a sigh of relief and quickly declared I was never flying it again..

LOL! Wow, I can remember a plane or two like that.
Sep 30, 2020, 09:42 AM
Broke college student & nerd
That thing is unbalance, underpowered, and unstable.
Sep 30, 2020, 02:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
He'd be better off having a girl throw it.
Sep 30, 2020, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
First 2 looked tail heavy. Last one, who knows?
Yes agreed, last one maybe something was broken from one the previous crashes.

Launch it with your dominant (right?) arm as if it were a javelin, slightly up with elbow straight and plenty of power. Then get your hand onto the control stick as fast as you can, and best of luck.
Oct 02, 2020, 08:13 PM

To Much elevator throw!!

His rates are to high. He should set up low rates and use 75 percent throttle.
Oct 07, 2020, 09:36 PM
Couldn't find any more info on the Youtube page. Everyone's talking about the plane, I wonder about the pilot's experience, or lack thereof. His tosses are obviously really weak, maybe he doesn't know how to fly at all?
Oct 08, 2020, 08:09 PM
Broke college student & nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Couldn't find any more info on the Youtube page. Everyone's talking about the plane, I wonder about the pilot's experience, or lack thereof. His tosses are obviously really weak, maybe he doesn't know how to fly at all?
Or maybe he's just used to high-winged trainers that don't need airspeed.

Quick Reply