May 16, 2005, 10:36 AM
I JUST want to FLY!
Thread OP

Beaver on floats, won't turn on water!

Well I made a GWS Beaver on GWS floats. I flew it and landed great. Then when I tried to turn, because I was to far away, the plane wouldn't turn. So I added more throttle, and went full rudder, still the plane wouldn't turn enough, it turned very little. So I gave it even more throttle, and when I did that, the plane's wing tiped the water, and the plane nosed over.
Please help, and what should I do?
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
I guess it doesn't have water rudders does it? Try either giving short bursts of power with the rudder or try turning at a speed that just allows the plane to get up on the step.
May 17, 2005, 02:27 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Make sure you have max throw on your rudder servo. I set mine for 75% on flying and 100% for water taxing. Dual rates are a must!

Pete
May 17, 2005, 04:32 PM
I JUST want to FLY!
Thread OP
I don't know how to do that yet on my radio.
May 17, 2005, 05:15 PM
How windy was it? With little or no wind you shouldn’t have had a problem. As the wind picks up these lightweight planes want to weathervane into the wind. When this happens it’s best to let the plane weathervane into the wind, float backwards until you can take off land closer. A water rudder helps a lot when the wind picks up but light wing loading models on floats are still going to be prone to tipping over.
May 19, 2005, 02:15 AM
jimsp is right on...my son and I have GWS Beavers with modified GWS floats,each has two water rudders and all the air rudder movement possible...and either will blow over if it encounters ANY cross wind while taking off.The long take off runs look nice,but the quick take off is still the best bet.We use 5 degrees of dihedral and that helps somewhat over the stock 10 degrees.
Flying boats have the advantage in cross wind take off conditions as their C.G. is closer to the water. FWIW..
May 19, 2005, 12:27 PM
Seaplane Nerd
If you just put a plane with no water rudders in the water, it will weathervane and point into the wind.

If you pull full UP elevator and add about 4 clicks of power, it will mush along trying to climb its bow wave, and it will weathervane downwind because there is so much of the float in the water behind the lateral center of pressure.

If you want to go crosswind, hold the upwind wing down with aileron and steer with the throttle. If you cut the power a little, the plane will weathervane upwind with low power, and downwind with more power, but you can find the balance point of an intermediate power setting if you are careful. It takes a little practice. OR you can taxi real fast and go crosswind like a speedboat (still hold the upwind wing down with a touch of aileron)

If your motor is running you can steer with the air rudder. If your motor is not running all the water rudders in the world won't matter.
Last edited by JimCasey; May 19, 2005 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply