Sep 22, 2020, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help IDing plane

I got this plane as part of a trade and Iím looking for some info. It flies ok but needs a lot down elevator trim to fly and I canít run above 1/4 throttle or it gets squirrely. It has a Magnum .30 four stroke that runs great. The fuse is about 36Ē from the tail to the firewall The wingspan is about 71Ē. It flies super slow and Iíd really like to find out what kit itís built off of.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2020, 10:06 PM
Aeronca C-3
Sep 23, 2020, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, thats what I was thinking but I wasnt able to find any info on any kits for this plane.
Sep 23, 2020, 06:35 AM
Kits that I am aware of for the C-3 were larger than your model, likely what you have is a plans built C-3. Its been published many times over the years, C-3's came in two basic fuselage shapes, the older "razorback" fuselage and the more rounded fuselage Collegiate, yours appears to be a razorback.

My best guess is you have one built from Bill Effinger plans. Bill's long deceased but was a well known modeler & designer from the 30's through his passing.

Scott
Sep 23, 2020, 11:24 AM
Send lawyers, guns and money
RCM published a 1/6 scale, 72" wingspan version. Rudder is more rounded than yours, tho'.
Sep 23, 2020, 01:05 PM
IIRC, the pointy rudder originated on C-2, a single place which had straight axel sprung thru fuselage. Fin and rudder carrie dover to C-3 , which added side x side seating. and outrigger split type landing gear . Final development of C series was "Collegiate", which had smaller, very rounded fin /uudder and close spaced stringers to round-out/refine fuselage aerodynamics

Earliest C-3 plan for RC i'm aware of is John Northrops 72" (1/6 scale), from Model Airplane News, mid to late 60's. IIR C, engine was .15 fox. That's really too much power for scale like operation. A .10 would be much better suited, especially if scale-like structure and wing loading were achieved. A .30 is way over the top, as indicated by the throttle setting and nose down elevator!
Sep 23, 2020, 01:20 PM
The Sig 1/6 scale Piper J-5 is a good example of scale like structure achieving scale like wing and power loadings. IMHO a heathy OS .15 would be adequate, in this situation. However a .19 or-,40 is what most would use. the real aircraft flies, with authority, on 65 hp. and is not capable of vertical performance.

I owned/ flew a 1937 Aeronca KCA for 3 years. It had (still has) 50 hp. No authority whatsoever! But I loved it.
Sep 24, 2020, 06:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the info. When I was at the field last weekend several others also suggested a smaller engine. I don’t have anything smaller than the 30 so I think I’m going to stick with that for now and use my radio to limit throttle travel and maybe go down in pitch a little with the prop. It’s got a 3-4 oz tank and 5-6 min barely drops the fuel level so as it sits now I should be good for 15-20 min flights. I had a rc car with a .12 and it used a lot more fuel than the .30 does.
Sep 24, 2020, 07:20 PM
Whoops! Turns out I didn't remember correctly. /here's the plan from MAN. Text only was by Northrop and span was 54"(1/8 scale). https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4693
Given my recent memory performance the RCM plan and another C-3 type might precede and follow the linked plan!
Sep 24, 2020, 08:21 PM
Brighto?
I think Joy Products sold a C-3 kit back in the day.
Oct 11, 2020, 06:11 PM
Thread OP

Ailerons

Iíve flown this plane a few times now and it continues to be a handful. Iíve adjusted my elevator linkage and added a little down thrust to my engine. That has helped a little bit todayís flights brought a new challenge. It was a little windy and I was having trouble maintaining level flight. The first flight was fine. The second flight seemed a little worse but I was able to keep it under control. On my last landing I cut the throttle as I came in and a gust of wind sent me from about 5 feet off the runway to 10. I landed but it wasnít pretty. It bounced pretty bad and nosed over and broke a blade off the prop. When I was carrying the plane out to my car I noticed a tear in the covering. Further inspection revealed a crack in the wing. Itís not bad but needs attention and means the wing needs recovered which isnít bad since the fuselage already needs it. I noticed that my aileron linkage has a lot of play and Iím thinking while the wing is uncovered it will be a good time to address that. Right now I have a standard servo in the center with bell cranks on each end. Iíd like to add 2 smaller servos on each end of the wing to eliminate the long linkages and all the pivots and slop. Any suggestions on this or should I just fix what I have?

Quick Reply