May 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
Thread OP

Dumas Wellcraft’s 38 Scarab KV

I'm thinking of getting the 55"Dumas scarab, does anyone know about this kit, and how the build goes? It will be my first gas boat, thinking of a 25cc homelite engine from prather. Or would i be better off with a OS 81 nitro engine?

Derek
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2005, 05:40 PM
Derek;

I have this hull. If you are looking for speed its not the perfect hull. Mine completed wieghted in at 16 lbs. I used the Dumas hardware which was a mistake. The stuff is junk. On the upside the boat is solid as a rock on the water. I used an A100 PIP glow engine which puts out about 8 HP (tuned perfect). I am working my way up to a Prather S275 prop. I am hoping to get around 40+ MPH when setup properly. The kit complete with good instructions.

As far as your choise of engines, I would say to go for the best power to weight ratio. This hull can handle lots of power.

Jim
May 16, 2005, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
How easially does the build go on this boat?

is there a better hardware kit to use than the dumas kit? what were the un-satisfactory things about the dumas hardware kit?
May 19, 2005, 11:22 PM
As mentionned earlier, it is pretty much straight forward
This hull present itself as a good candidate to scale.

Here is the stern of my Scarab 45 while it was still under construction.
Last edited by aeronavale; May 19, 2005 at 11:28 PM.
May 21, 2005, 08:26 PM
The build had no real surprises, from memory the only thing that I did not like was that there was a lot of work involved in building up the hatch frame and the hatch itself. Getting it to fit and look good took a lot of time.

The Dumas running gear (strut and 1/4" flex shaft) is typical to a lot of others available. The strut does not look as good as some others but it works the same in the end.

The dumas rudders are made from a stainless rod silver soldered to a stainless blade. You could make it yourself. I have swapped it out for one made by PIP with a built in water pickup.

If you are starting a new build get a running gear package from another supplier. Here are a couple of typical links. I can not recomend most since I have not used them.

http://www.insaneboats.com/
http://www.mhzusa.com/xtdoc/
Mar 28, 2010, 04:37 PM
Running jokes into the ground
I may be getting a Wellcraft Scarab from a friend, but I am not sure about the engine. What kind of engine would I use? Would electric be a possibility?

Quick Reply