May 16, 2005, 06:28 PM
Ruby Child
I powered mine with a Park 370-4100 (same as a Himax 2015-4100) geared at 6.6:1 and using a 11x7 APC prop.
I was amazed at how much farther the take off roll was and in fact had messed around on the street in front of the house a few times just lifting off a few inches or a foot. I believe that helped in letting me know what to expect when I hit the grass, crossed my fingers, and got the big grin!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
RubyChild,
I forgot to add; as far as power goes the current system should provide adequate power. However, upgrading to lipo or perhaps brushless should definitely enlarge your envelope.

As a rule of thumb,(Watts = Volts * Amps)
~40 Watts/lb = gentle performance
~60 Watts/lb = peppy sport performance
~100Watts = hot aerobatics

For example, if your setup pulls 8 amps at 8.5v (under load) that equals a healthy 68 Watts

Have Fun,
Sam
May 16, 2005, 11:46 PM
Ok, as promised I put together my maiden flights (er, crashes) of my Slow Stick. Enjoy.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371904#post3761121
May 18, 2005, 02:20 AM
Just maidened my Slow stick today. Actually I'm on the maiden #4. #1 maiden, ROG, did a couple circuits, hit a tree and dropped out of the sky.

#2 maiden, hand launched, wouldn't fly fast enough to get out of it's own way.

Next day, #3 maiden, hand lauched, started out good then lost power. Came down and set up for a nice landing only to realize that I was in the way. Hit myself.

When I was reinstalling the prop back on the prop saver, I realized that the prop saver was loose. Fixed it. #4 maiden, The Slow Stick took off from my hand like a homesick....er.....bubble. Anyway, had a great flight and a nice landing.
May 18, 2005, 12:44 PM
I would suggest what the others suggested along with very slight stick movements. Use the stick slamming for aerobatics. You only need slight up elevator depending on your control surface throw setup.
May 18, 2005, 02:14 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Ahh that wasn't that bad of a maiden!
May 18, 2005, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Ok ok, sorry for disapointing all of you hoping to see a plane getting totally ruined

Seriously, I want to thanks everyone for all the great feedback I got from this video. I had absolutely no clue of what happened during my maiden. Now I can blame it all on myself

Can't wait to try it again with a new approach .

Thanks!!

.fs.
May 19, 2005, 01:57 AM
Film your second maiden!
May 19, 2005, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight
Film your second maiden!

y0u bet !!!

*she flies!! she flies!!! ..... oops...*

.fs.
May 19, 2005, 10:44 AM
Maybe a dumb question, but did you take off into the wind? I've had light planes flip over like that when ROG with a cross wind. Light planes love to weather-vane, that is they tend to point themselves into the wind.
May 19, 2005, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
I flew on a no wind day. Even the Slo-V wasn't affected by the occasinal slight brease so wind wasnt a problem and I know about taking off and landing facing the wind. At least, I had this part right

.fs.
May 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
How am I not myself?
Hey Rubychild,

Did you get the chance to try the Tiger Moth again? The weather was nice in Montreal today.

Samuel
May 24, 2005, 04:47 PM
Thread OP

Salut!

=deleted=

!!

Quick Reply