Sep 17, 2020, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Having problems with DS2 staying bound to a DX8 DMSX transmitter. I have a bunch of

Having problems with DMS2 staying bound to a DX8 DMSX transmitter. I have a bunch of AR6200 DMS2 and with a satellite staying bound, receiver goes to safe mode for 3 to 5 seconds before recovering. Lost 2 planes to crashes do to loosing signal. Has any one else have this problem? I have less problems with the Hobby King receivers. thanks WaltHaving problems with DMS2 staying bound to a DX8 DMSX transmitter. I have a bunch of AR6200 DMS2 and with a satellite staying bound, receiver goes to safe mode for 3 to 5 seconds before recovering. Lost 2 planes to crashes do to loosing signal. Has any one else have this problem? I have less problems with the Hobby King receivers. thanks Walt
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2020, 02:46 PM
Gen1 (silver) or Gen2 (black) DX8? There were some issues with the early Gen1 DX8's.
copied from the old bulletin:
"Spektrum and JR DSMX Transmitter Bulletin
DSMX transmitters operating in DSM2 mode

The Spektrum Team has been investigating sporadic reports from DSMX transmitter owners using their products in DSM2 mode. We have discovered that in some rare instances, DSMX equipped transmitters with the Product ID (PID) within this bulletin, may have a backwards compatibility issue that could cause a "hold" with the following superseded DSM2 receivers: AR500, AR6100, AR6100E, AR6110, AR6110E, AR6200 and AR6300.

Note: This bulletin does not apply to DSM2 ONLY transmitters.

If you have a DSMX transmitter with one of the following PIDs, please complete the Transmitter Service Request Form to receive a prepaid shipping label to send your transmitter to Horizon Hobby for a free firmware update.
Click HERE to complete the Transmitter Service Request Form.
Horizon will pay for ground shipping within the United States and Canada.
If you purchased your product outside the US and Canada, contact your local retailer or distributor. A list of International distributors may be found HERE.
If you have further questions in the United States, please call Horizon Hobby Product Support at 877-504-0233.
The PID is located in the battery compartment of your transmitter.

DX6i/DX5e/DX4e:
PID: HS010, HS011, HH011, HT011, HT012, HE012, HE101, HA101, HA102, HA103, HA104, HA105

DX8:
PID: HS008, HS009, HH009, HH010, HT010, HE010, HE011, HA011, HA012, HA101, HO102, HO103, HO104, HO105

My Gen 2 DX8 has no issues with staying bound to DSM2 or DSMX receivers.
Sep 21, 2020, 02:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
When did you buy the AR6200's?

If it was any time in the last 6-7 years, they're probably fakes and thus suspect in and of themselves.
Oct 27, 2020, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Hi the receivers are about 7 to 8 years old but have had no issues with the DX6 and DX7S transmitter until I purchased the DX8! Horizon hobby replaced the original Transmitter, they worked on it until they gave up and sent me the new DX8S DX 8 SPM8015 DX8G2 HO004x. I have had all kinds of issues with it from the start of unbinding from receivers. Would have to rebind the next time I wanted to fly the plane I flew the day before!! As I stated that was a new plane I was flying in the prosses of trimming I lost the signal to the plane!! The receiver went into "SAFE mode" for about 4 to 5 seconds before in reconnected I was able to get it to the field DEAD stick. I was very LUCKY that I had the altitude to do that. Since I have gone true all my Spektrum DSM2 receivers and all have failed staying connected!! Get disconnected from the Transmitter for 1 to 2 seconds before reconnecting. I flown the AR500 with the transmitter with no problem until the other day the transmitter disconnected from the receiver and I was not that lucky this time!! So far I have not had any problems with the Hobby King DSM2 receiver. I don't feel comfortable flying with the Transmitter. Since I had all the problems with the transmitter I purchased a used DX6 G2 from a member of the RC Groups and it is wursce then the DX8. So I have 2 transmitter and I'm scared to fly with eater one. So how do I get some one to return my calls?? Any one know the number of Spectrum? So I can talk to them to get this resolved. Thank you any Help or advise would be appreciated!! Walt
Oct 27, 2020, 01:52 PM
It sounds like the problem may be in your receivers, not your transmitters.

Do you have any Spektrum receivers purchased from a reliable source, such as direct from Horizon Hobby or from a hobby shop known to be purchasing from HH?

Almost any “Spektrum” receiver purchased on EBay, or from overseas or from certain mail order shops since about 2011 is likely to be fake. This goes especially for DSM2 receivers like AR6200, which were discontinued by Spektrum soon after DSMX became standard.

These receivers emulated DSM2 or DSMX, but not perfectly. So as Spektrum tweaked the implementation of DSMX, many which had previously worked stopped doing so.
Oct 27, 2020, 02:38 PM
Julian T
Last edited by juliant; Oct 27, 2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Not worth bothering...
Oct 27, 2020, 02:49 PM
If your looseing controller for a few sec. Could be a bad connection in the power line. What are you powering your receivers with?
Oct 27, 2020, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
All the receivers where purchased from member of RCGroups and also Club members. If the receiver went into Safe mode is it working and it's powered!!! My understanding is for the receiver to go into SAFE mode it lost the signal from the Transmitter. Is that not correct?? So the Transmitter got unbound from the receiver. It's very frustrating to be scared of the Transmitter when you have other things going wrong besides Pilot error equipment problems. I'm very discouraged it's not very much Fun crashing planes. I'm scared to death of going out to fly and crashing another plane. thanks Walt
Oct 27, 2020, 03:33 PM
What receivers are we talking about? None of the ones you mention has any SAFE capability.

EDIT: I suspect you are confusing SAFE with Failsafe. The former is a specific capability that provides self-leveling and other kinds of stabilizing behavior. The latter simply describes what happens when signal is lost (the most common action is to reduce the throttle to a preset position — should be low — and hold other channels wherever they happen to be).

Losing signal is not a result of the receiver becoming “unbound”. It’s just that the receiver is no longer “hearing” the transmitter.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Oct 27, 2020 at 03:43 PM.
Oct 27, 2020, 03:46 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
To get a failsafe requires loss of connectivity between the transmitter and receiver. (Safe is something else entirely these days, it's an auto-stabilization mode)

That is not loss of bind. If you power the receiver off, power it back on and it starts talking to the transmitter again you have a good bind.

What you are seeing is loss of link, ie the conversation between the receiver and transmitter is being interrupted.

That means that either the transmitter stopped transmitting, something external interfered with the signal or the receiver stopped listening.

Note the AR500 is known for occasional loss of link issues, it was replaced quickly by the AR600 in part due to that issue.

The AR6200 is widely counterfeit. Unless bought directly from HH or a known good LHS, they may be fake (even if bought used from a trustworthy seller, they may have not known it was fake).

Typically the fakes have more issues with the more recent transmitter models than older ones. The DX8G2 is known to have issues with counterfeit DSMX receivers as well as OrangeRX DSMX receivers in particular as they do not properly compute the hop pattern for many DX8G2's.

Also worth checking is whether or not your orange spektrum logo on the transmitter is on & solid.

The fact that two newer Spektrum TX's are both showing issues with this set of receivers is why folks are suggesting potential counterfeit issues. The AR500 failing is no real surprise, but the AR6200's, if legit, are pretty solid RX's. But the issue you are seeing is normally seen with counterfeit DSMX receivers, not DSM2 receivers (they work differently)

Because you're on DSM2, what you're describing sounds more to me like an intermittent RF hit than anything else. That's possibly caused by a new 2.4GHz RF source nearby.

DSM2 is weak against intermittent interference, as it only uses 2 channels and locks on to 2 clear channels when the radio powers on, if some interference pops up on one or both of those channels, you'll see loss of link.

DSMX is decidedly more robust, as are most other protocols, when it comes to this sort of interference (DSM2 does just fine with other TX's, but a strong 2.4GHz wifi or video signal can cause all sorts of issues)
Oct 27, 2020, 03:56 PM
What results do you get when you perform a reduced power Range Check with each of the transmitters and 2 or 3 receivers. You should have full control at 30m and beyond. (The model should be on a wooden table or similar.)

Try walking around the model at a distance of about 30m (100ft) in Range Check mode while moving the controls. Any dropouts?
Oct 27, 2020, 06:58 PM
treefinder
Big Walt said:"Would have to rebind the next time I wanted to fly the plane I flew the day before!! "
By this do you mean that after an incident, you put the plane away, and the next day you took it out, turned on TX, plugged lipo into plane and it showed unbound behavior?

Elsewhere you said that the RX seemed to disconnect , go into failsafe mode, then reconnect within a few seconds. (This sounds pretty obviously like a loss of signal) Is that a different problem than the "next day" one? Have you set the failsafe? If so, does the plane behave like you set for failsafe? (e. g. Throttle to off)

It is odd that so many pilots think that rebinding is the universal fix when all the experts insist that a correctly bound RX will not come unbound.
Oct 27, 2020, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Ok let me rephrase the receiver is going into Failsafe!!! So we all understand each other when I lost control of the plane the receiver cut the engine and their was no response from the plane for 4 to 5 seconds before regaining control. Also to let you know I range checked the plane before flying and it was fine! As far as the Nicads batteries where checked with load meter and wiring also in good condition no broken or damaged linkage.It is defiantly eater the receiver or the Transmitter!! The rebinding problem is flying a plane today and the next day I would have to rebind that plane so I could fly it again!! Not a crashed plane!! Also a plane that was flown today and was trimmed next day it needs to be re trimmed. I have been flying all the "new" that includes Orange and Hobby King DSM2 receivers in a foamy before sticking them in a nice plane with no problem so FAR!!?? I have some real expensive planes that I'm scared to fly. So it sounds like I have to say a prayer before each flight!! Or sell all my Spektrum and buy a Futaba radio that is what my friends suggest. I hope that I explained every thing the best I could. thanks Walt
Oct 27, 2020, 08:44 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
OK,

that's two separate problems, the failsafe/loss of signal and the re-binding are completely different issues.

For the failsafe, that still sounds to me like there's some new RF interference at the field. Do a full range check & ground test. Also try a DSMX receiver, DSM2 is more sensitive to intermittent RF interference.

For the loss of bind

Are you using a different model memory for each model? The only thing that comes to mind as causing both loss of trim and a rebind is if you are using the same model memory for every model. On Spektrum bind sets receiver type and if you are using a variety of receivers with one model memory, yuo'll eventually run into bind breaking issues as you will have different class receivers and the transmitter only remembers the class of the most recent receiver.
Oct 28, 2020, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
When I did the range check the plane it was on a wooden stand that we have and I went a good 100 meters from the plane with no problem the surface of the aileron continued to work!!! That is the plane that I lost contact with for 5 seconds!! And no I program each plane individually no copies. If it was constant then I could figure what it is maybe, but it's intermittent so I don't know when the next glitch will happened. I will check if their are any power tower like phone did not think to check. We are about 1/4 mile from Electric transformers for electric company power station!!!???? But why are not my friends with Futaba radios having any glitches with their equipment then if that is a problem??Thank you for all the advice and info!!!

Quick Reply