May 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
Thread OP

TM 400 Float Plane with GWS Floats

Thought some might be interested in flying their TM 400 on floats.

I just finished this one and it flys great! I'll try to post more details in the coming days.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2005, 10:20 PM
Hey that looks like a nice pond to fly at,I will be at the air races at STEAD AFB in mid sept. is this place anywere near there.
I'm thinking of putting floats on my formosa.
May 15, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Hi,

This lake is about 50-60 miles from Stead. (lake Lahontan)

It is a nice lake, but often quite windy. It's pretty good if you hit it early before the wind is up and before the Ski boat crowd gets fired up.

I flew it this morning 2 times and it was a bit scarey. The wind was blowing lightly, which in itself, would be ok, but it was constantly changing direction. Landing a float plane down wind is not a good thing.

I love the plane and it's a great flyer. It's a little on the porky side right now,(about 31ozs) but I plan on lightening the load a bit by changing battery packs. I'm running a 10 cell 12v NI-MH battery that is 1000mah and 8ozs. Even with this heavy battery all the way forward, I still had to add 3ozs weight to the nose to get it to balance out. I'm going to switch to a 2200mah 11.1v lithium pack that will weigh 3ozs less and its size will allow me to have the weight of the pack even further forward so I may be able to dump off a little of the lead weight that was added.

Hope you enjoy the races. I've never been, but I've heard it's a blast!
May 15, 2005, 06:03 PM
Bummer,I guess it,s a little to far when you have a motor home that gets only 7 miles to the gallon.
By the way nice TM you got there.
What length of floats are those,and what is your motor setup. -WBF.
May 15, 2005, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliment on my Moth. I'll do a few things differently on the next one, but for now, it's keeping me entertained.

The floats are GWS. They are 21" and are suppose to weigh 4.6 ozs. I covered the topsides with fiberglass cloth so I suppose I may be closer to 5-6ozs on my float weight.

I have a 400 brushless outrunner motor that I adapted to the stock 400 gearbox. If you put floats on your Formosa, I would recommend going brushless if you're currently using the stock brushed motor. The water is a lot of resistance to overcome when trying to transition from water to air. With the battery fully charged, it takes a good 20-30 feet to get airborne. I'm looking forward to those lithiums. It should really help things.

Have you ever flown off the water before? It's quite a kick. I'm looking forward to those early morning summer flights. It's relaxing to be out at the lake first thing in the morning as the sun is rising. Put those floats on your Formosa, you'll love it!

Keep me posted.
Last edited by microrcflyer; May 16, 2005 at 12:14 AM.
May 15, 2005, 11:24 PM
Nice floatplane! I keep on threatening to convert one of my planes to a float plane.
May 16, 2005, 12:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I highly recommend flying off water. It's two ways to enjoy your local lake or pond this summer. It also adds another level of challenge to the mix.
May 16, 2005, 02:52 AM
Yes,I have brushles on 3 planes.
Formosa-2015-4100 hi-max MPI GB 5.33 to 1. 1320 tp 3s
ME-109 -2015-4100 hi max MPI GB 5.33 to 1. 1320 tp 3s
Mustang-2812-0850 hi max outrunner 1320 tp 3s
I get 14 min. run times before LVC.
I was told i need the GWS 24'' floats for the formosa.
Once you go lipo you may never go back.
I've never flown off water before,But i have flown over water once.
By the way,is that a water rudder i see?.
I used to race nitro hydroplanes for about 2 years,I need to get my ears wet again i guess.
May 16, 2005, 09:05 AM
Try foamfloats.com. Their floats are less than 2 oz and work great. Apologies to Mr. Lin!
I use em on my GWS beaver and its the most fun I've had in rc when I can find water.
May 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
You should be good to go since you're already flying brushless. I do still have some brushed motor airplanes and I still believe they are good for some applications, but I really do enjoy my brushless motors too.

Yes, that is my own little design for a water rudder. It works great and turns on a dime, but it is really too much weight. I made it out of brass and some spring rod with a piece of aircraft cable inside a length of plastic tubing. I think I could shave off some weight by making the rudder and shaft out of carbon graphite.

I was not aware of GWS having two different lengths of floats. If you can get 24" floats it might be better. The 21" set that I have seem to support weight pretty well. Just sitting in the water, the waterline is at the seam of the two halves of the floats. Keep in mind, my Moth is a bit porky at a little over 30ozs.

Quick Reply