What the Heck Wednesday - RC Gas Trainer Crash

In this weeks installment of What the Heck Wednesday we have a high wing trainer style plane with a gas engine showing us an epic crash.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

In this weeks installment of What the Heck Wednesday we have a high wing trainer style plane with a gas engine showing us an epic crash. The take off was a little, well let's just say unconventional. The plane never really looked happy, but then the pilot yells out "I've got nothing!" Man that is one of the worst feelings you can get as an RC pilot when you realize you've lost control of your model and are helpless to do anything but stand there and watch. The plane "lands" with quite a thud on a vertical trajectory that pretty much destroys the entire thing.

So loss of control seems to be the culprit on this crash, but do you think it was a simple case of radio link failure, loss of power to the receiver, or something else? Was it builder error or just plain bad luck? Let me know what you think about this one in the comments below.

Sep 16, 2020, 12:40 PM
I would guess loss of receiver/servo power because the controls appear to have all frozen in place but nowhere near neutral positions. Low voltage? Battery not secured and moving around? Who knows. He looks like the type of pilot that causes me to become very nervous each time they go up.
Sep 16, 2020, 01:08 PM
yep, there's a plane that just picked the wrong guy to fly it. what a moron. Any guess as to the cause of the crash is exactly that and there's no point in speculating.
Sep 16, 2020, 01:12 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
there's no point in speculating.

That's part of the fun of What the Heck Wednesday. No one has to be right or wrong, just having fun talking about what we think happened and having a good laugh.
Sep 16, 2020, 02:01 PM
A man with a plan
I'm glad the bird didn't get hit by the plane.
Last edited by Balsaworkbench; Sep 16, 2020 at 08:00 PM.
Sep 16, 2020, 03:15 PM
Bruce allready showed the broken pin on the reciever so this one is known,
Sep 16, 2020, 03:16 PM

power failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1980
I would guess loss of receiver/servo power because the controls appear to have all frozen in place but nowhere near neutral positions. Low voltage? Battery not secured and moving around? Who knows. He looks like the type of pilot that causes me to become very nervous each time they go up.
Broken pin on the reciever so no power anymore.
Sep 16, 2020, 04:18 PM
There was a trim or balance issue as that plane looked to be handfull. It was all over the place. A trainer is suppose to be easy to fly.

Broken pin or not that was definitely builder error. The loss of control due to broken pin just shortened its inevitable destruction.
Sep 16, 2020, 05:35 PM

No offense...

No offense to you guys but that is why I wouldn't build something and fly it. I remember those projects in art class where you had to glue pieces and build something, I was such a failure. I was actually watching videos last night on youtube and a recommended video was worst rc plane crashes and the people were literally crying and here I am feeling guilty now cause I was laughing about how these people were acting. Don't hate the messenger and make me feel more guilt especially you cmulder, but I didn't know it was so costly. I'd hate to spend my money on something and it crash and burn just like that. Does wind or weather not play a role in this hobby cause in reality, it does sometimes?
Sep 16, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer256
No offense to you guys but that is why I wouldn't build something and fly it. I remember those projects in art class where you had to glue pieces and build something, I was such a failure. I was actually watching videos last night on youtube and a recommended video was worst rc plane crashes and the people were literally crying and here I am feeling guilty now cause I was laughing about how these people were acting. Don't hate the messenger and make me feel more guilt especially you cmulder, but I didn't know it was so costly. I'd hate to spend my money on something and it crash and burn just like that. Does wind or weather not play a role in this hobby cause in reality, it does sometimes?

There is always a chance of a fluke failure or accident you can't predict. But if you prepare properly I think you can fly with very little worry about a crash caused by anything other than pilot error. I have several planes with hundreds of flights on them. Things do go wrong but they are generally not catastrophic failures if you prepare properly.
Sep 16, 2020, 05:56 PM
Yeah I agree that some people should just not build AND FLY! If you can't glue two pieces of wood together then yeah your lacking some skills or IQ.

Both of those can be solved though, The prior through education and training the latter with education, training and a longer lifespan.

Everyone can learn to be a Doctor, the only caveat is it may take 2 or 3 lifetimes for someone with a low IQ.
Sep 16, 2020, 07:35 PM
Ignoring the way the carb was adjusted at the start, Tim had that baby cooking right up to the time when it landed. I love that xjet channel. I never miss a video.
Sep 16, 2020, 07:46 PM
That was the most uncoordinated flight I’ve seen in a long time.
Sep 16, 2020, 08:35 PM
worth doing = worth overdoing
Looked like it had quite a bit of right rudder in the whole time. Loving the what the heck wednesdays keep them up!
Sep 16, 2020, 09:24 PM
AMA 537620
Get that man some sunglasses!

Quick Reply