This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 15, 2020, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite UMX Waco Golden Age Fantasy Monoplane Racer Test Flight

I got bored with my slow and lackadaisical UMX Waco and was about to sell it as it is just never flown enough in my fleet. That is, until I saw a few 1930s Air Racers and got a modding idea to give it a new lease on life. 😈

Eflite UMX Waco Golden Age Fantasy Monoplane Racer Test Flight (3 min 49 sec)

The top wing was gently removed. An 8 .034 x .121 flat carbon fiber flat spar has been inserted in the main wing for rigidity. All of the detailing is complete. All of the old carbon fiber connection wire bits have been sanded and painted over to match the scheme. The old connections to the interplane struts and fuselage joiner have been covered with their original plastics which I sanded so it looks like it was made that way.

The Test Flight was more than successful with the stock Eflite BL180 3000KV Motor. I placed the Turnigy Nano-Tech 2S 300mAh 35C lipo (16 grams) as far back in the internal compartment (just a half inch in front of the AS3X RX) to account for the lack of lift and CG compensation, and it balanced well for neutral handling.

Flight characteristics are quicker and much more responsive, with basic aerobatics, knife edges, inverted flight, and even flat turns. This is now one awesome plane with a unique Gee Bee-esque feel!

Plans to upgrade to an Eflite BL180 3600KV Motor and 120mm X 70mm Tri-Blade Prop are a go.

The UMX Waco Golden Age Fantasy Monoplane Racer is born. ⭐️

(To all the doubters who thought that this wasn't going to work, or thought that it wouldn't fly well.. thank you. You pushed me to innovate and succeed. And this plane now flies even better than it did stock.)

Thanks for watching!
Last edited by Blaze0021; Sep 15, 2020 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply