Sep 15, 2020, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

suggested airplane

I have a BL-2212-6 Motor and a matching speed controller. What would be a good starter aircraft for me to build. I built a blue baby many years ago. But never got around to learning to fly it. Life got in the way. I am now retired and prolly can find the time. Lol
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2020, 08:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by apburner
I have a BL-2212-6 Motor and a matching speed controller. What would be a good starter aircraft for me to build. I built a blue baby many years ago. But never got around to learning to fly it. Life got in the way. I am now retired and prolly can find the time. Lol
If you want to build a beginner trainer for learning to fly RC airplanes by yourself , there are two approaches :
1) more complicated : build a plane from downloaded/printed/tiled plans ( like the Blu-Baby )
2) simpler : build a plane that doesn't require downloading/printing/tiled plans

If you want , I can show you planes for both categories .... and I'll be happy to help you make one .
Sep 16, 2020, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
I was looking at the blue baby. Fan fold foam is no longer a thing though is it? Also what size would the 2212/6 motor be good on. Thanks for your help

I built one many years ago but never flew it. Life got in the way. Retired now and looking for hobbies.

I hope you and all yours are safe with the fires. My Daughter live just north of you. South East of Seattle about 40 miles
Sep 16, 2020, 03:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I was looking at the blue baby. Fan fold foam is no longer a thing though is it? Also what size would the 2212/6 motor be good on. Thanks for your help

I built one many years ago but never flew it. Life got in the way. Retired now and looking for hobbies.

I hope you and all yours are safe with the fires. My Daughter live just north of you. South East of Seattle about 40 miles
Yes , the Blu-Baby would be a good choice . If your motor is about 300 watts , you could make a Blu-Baby that weighs up to about 3 pounds for very good performance . Although if it's 2200kv , that's not ideal for a slow flyer ..... a lower kv motor swinging a bigger prop is better suited for a slow flyer .

I know nothing about fan fold foam since I have never used it , but I do know that foam board from the Dollar Tree store is available almost everywhere in the USA ..... $1 for a 20" x 30" sheet . If you check on the Blu-Baby thread , I'm sure you'll find that Blu-Babies have been built using Dollar Tree Foam Board ( DTFB ) .

Are you interested in starting with a simple disposable ( sacrificial ) build ? There are several , and they can be built in an hour or two without having to download , print , assemble tiles , etc .... plans . Once you have learned to fly with a sacrificial ( likely to be crashed ) plane , then build a more permanent Blu-Baby . Another advantage of building a sacrificial plane : if it is a pusher or has bumpers , your motor/prop will be protected if crashed nose first .

Do you already have a transmitter/receiver , batteries and charger ?
Sep 16, 2020, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Yes to batteries transmitter and charger. And yes the transmitter is the new type. Digital wide band. Also I have about a case of dollar tree foam board from other crafts that have happened in this house over the years. It's cheap and easily available. Lol
Sep 16, 2020, 07:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Yes to batteries transmitter and charger. And yes the transmitter is the new type. Digital wide band. Also I have about a case of dollar tree foam board from other crafts that have happened in this house over the years. It's cheap and easily available. Lol
Are you interested in first building a simple disposable sacrificial plane for the purpose of learning to fly an RC airplane ? Or do you want to jump right in and build a Blu-Baby ?
Sep 16, 2020, 10:53 PM
You could build a "paper airplane" style delta to get in the air soon, and fly that while you build something that takes a little time.

Are your old battery packs still good? I had to recycle some LiPo packs after many years of not using them.
Sep 18, 2020, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
I will need to test my batteries. They are pretty old. But ya i really want a new blue baby. I didn't have 1 inch foam for the mono block. But I have bunches of 2 and 3 inch foam. So I got it my hot wire and spices it down to 1 inch then cut out the block.
Sep 18, 2020, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Well just got a new motor combo from amazon. A 2212/10 1400KV. It came with two 8 x 6 props. Also Probably going to build the Blu-Baby 33. Will the 9 gram servos work an that large a plane.
Sep 18, 2020, 06:54 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Well just got a new motor combo from amazon. A 2212/10 1400KV. It came with two 8 x 6 props. Also Probably going to build the Blu-Baby 33. Will the 9 gram servos work an that large a plane.
That motor is much more suitable for a slow flyer plane , should work well .

To keep wing loading low ( for slow flight ) , I recommend building the 42" Blu-Baby .

9 gram servos should be OK on a Blu-Baby . To keep the stress on the servos as low as possible :
1) Connect the pushrod to the inner hole on the servo arm .
2) Connect the pushrod to the outer hole on the control horn .

If you don't feel you have enough control surface travel , move the pushrod connections one hole at a time .... until you feel like it's enough travel .

For a beginner learning to fly , minimum control surface travel can be advantageous ..... since beginners usually tend to over-control at first .

Quick Reply