How much elevator to flap mixing is a good starting point? - RC Groups
May 14, 2005, 04:18 PM

How much elevator to flap mixing is a good starting point?

What % would be a good place to start with a foamie? Use JR radios. Have used this function lightly over the years in gas (just to cancel out pitch when putting down flaps for landing) and new to the 3D foamies.Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2005, 05:35 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I can't imagine why a foamy 3D plane would need flaps. Elevator/flaperon mixing perhaps, but not plain ol' flaps. But if you insist, try this:

Get the plane a few screwups high, lower the flaps, and pay attention to how much elevator input you have to use to keep the plane flying level. Then land and adjust the mix to give you roughly the same elevator deflection.

Pete
May 14, 2005, 06:13 PM
Quote:
I can't imagine why a foamy 3D plane would need flaps.
Sorry for the confusion. I have flaperons on the bird not separate flaps. Figured mixing some flap with elevator will result in tighter loops and slower but steeper descents. It is not one of those small flat foamies like a shock flier but a larger EP full fuse/sym wing modified from a UCanDo kit to brushless, some extra CF reinforcing and other upgrades. Thanks for the tips.
May 16, 2005, 12:30 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I have elevator/flaperon mixing set up for my Lil' Banshee. I'm running 26% in the opposite direction of my elevator travel and the plane will basically loop in it's own length.

For steep descents (like what I believe they call the Elevator or Falling Leaf) I have my flaperons mixed to go the same direction as my elevator at around 30% mix. I can power off, yank the elevator back to the stop, and the plane will float almost straight down.

The mixes on other planes or even the same plane with a different CG will vary.

Pete
May 16, 2005, 01:41 AM
Quote:
For steep descents (like what I believe they call the Elevator or Falling Leaf) I have my flaperons mixed to go the same direction as my elevator at around 30% mix. I can power off, yank the elevator back to the stop, and the plane will float almost straight down.
I'm looking at this with the Twinstar I'm currently finishing (been sitting in a cupboard for a couple of years, finally decided to get it flying), because my flying field (7 acres of rolling land out back) has a limited landing area (fine for the Tipsy I usually fly but probably a bit short for the Twinstar based on comments I've read here) I was intending to use spoilerons (I'm using separate aileron channels and have a T9CAP Tx).. to slow it down when landing.. what arrangement would be most effective for tight landings? spoilerons or flaperons?

Any advice appreciated!
Bruce

Quick Reply