This thread is privately moderated by Floatdog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 14, 2020, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Plane Parts Procurement

Not quite going along to plan but I'm not too concerned.

I suspect I can run the HiTecs off that very small receiver, will confirm that prior to more purchases.

Off to compare what specs I can find.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2020, 02:40 PM
Looks good for a nice and light plane!
What are you gonna build with it?
Sep 16, 2020, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
It's coming together reasonably well, thanks!

Something along the lines of a larger UMX Radian.

I've got one of those and I really like it.
Being a foamie it's got some drawbacks.
But it's a very nice plane that will continue to be nice if I quit 'improving' it and just let it get me heaps of stick time.
If I can build the fuselage light enough I'll maintain the wing interface that I did on the Radian and just fly with that wing for a bit.
My current rough estimate has my AUW of the fuselage is ~60g, and my Radian is ~38g.
It's a rather severe wing loading increase but I think it'll fly around OK.
I'll build my own wing anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I enjoy this sort of motorized glider flying and it's within my skill envelope.
I'd dearly love to have and fly one of the slope rockets but at the moment it would be a very brief flight that likely would result in injuries to innocent bystanders.
So for the short term I'm going to pursue this buzzing around searching for free lift.

But the biggest problem is someone else built and designed it and therefore it has several glaring deficiencies.
So I will substitute my own work and we shall see!
Sep 16, 2020, 05:25 PM
Thread OP

Watch your fingers

Moar bits!

HiTecs not reportedly operational off of this board as far as I know now.
But no worries, I'll try to make friends with these tiny little ones.

Those'll run off my standard Rx, so all good.
Last edited by Floatdog; Sep 17, 2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added title
Sep 16, 2020, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
I'm probably blowing it on the blog structure but whatever.

Current rough layout has the complete fuselage just a bit under 500mm overall length.
Radian is 410 or so, so TLAR for "I want a bigger plane, but not too big"
It will fit in a not-so-large 'box' with just the wing off and disassembled, and if I'm clever the radio can go in there too.

Folks that hang around me long will realize I do not embrace the 'large and impossibly delicate' nature of most of our chosen craft.
I did a bit of surfing in my youth and surfboards have the same sort of drawbacks.

That said, I can do a 3-piece wing of ~1.5m within that packed length.
If that's not enough wing then I need to start over.
Sep 16, 2020, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

So so rough

Very rough layout with lots of hand waving.
Wings and empennage are little more than placeholders.

I've squeezed the fuselage down to 20mm wide and 30mm tall, and that's likely too far.
I think a 25x35 is going to be more practical.
Last edited by Floatdog; Sep 17, 2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added title
Sep 16, 2020, 11:19 PM
Thread OP

Battery aggro

Explored 2s battery options, seems units smaller and larger than my 300mAh unit are poor performers on mAh/g

I can run 1 or 2 of the 300mAh, battery box is long enough to balance it out.
Seems as good as it's going to get.
Last edited by Floatdog; Sep 17, 2020 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added title
Sep 17, 2020, 05:59 PM
Thread OP

Trying to fit 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag

With 2 of 300mAh 2S I'm laying them on the side and stacking and they're nearly as far back is possible.
I'm still going to have some room aft of design position to cope with CG changes.
With one battery, it'll be full forward plus some room for CG adjust.
That pretty much determines my battery box length.

With the batteries stacked seems a good fit at 35mm tall cabin.
Width can be 25 but.... that forces me into having the brick and servos standing on end.
The brick may retain the AS3X stability package as used in the MIG and apply it 90 degrees out which means it's automatic crashing.
I'm going to save myself some potential frustration and KISS, make it as wide as it needs to be for comfortable install.
I'll build more than one plane I think so this one can be less than perfect
Last edited by Floatdog; Sep 17, 2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added title
Sep 17, 2020, 08:33 PM
Thread OP

A Brief Diversion

I'm sorry, were you saying something?
No I wasn't staring at those planes with my mouth hanging open.
That was someone else.

Super Sinbad explained (3 min 24 sec)

Beautiful 1946 Champion Glider. Free-flight design converted to RC. (2 min 3 sec)
Sep 17, 2020, 10:38 PM
Thread OP

Sanity has prevailed

I've given in, by the time it's big enough to slide in all that stuff with some breathing room....
.... I can make it a bit bigger and then my HS-40s fit, and a small ESC and a full size Rx and my Park 370 with Aeronaut 7x4

Time to detail out the wings and see if i can hit my weight target.
Sep 19, 2020, 02:09 AM
Thread OP

Much more pleasing to the eye....

Made some significant progress, empennage quality is markedly improved, wing's a lot better too.
Still a lot of hand waving involved, and I'm a bit concerned with the size of the servos vs the rudder and elevator bits.
More work there for sure, rudder balancing etc.

Not sure I'm going to keep that fully exposed rudder, looks great but not so durable.

Will look at the section thickness out in the curved zone on the wing, may just sheet the bottom, do holes and a couple riblets and a doubler for a 'spar'.
I've got intentions for a longer set of outers, but I've got to get a better handle on the wing structure.
~~~EDIT~~~
After thinking about if for quite a while today and liking the idea...
... then writing it down...
I spent a minute looking at my drawing and realized that's a bad plan.
One set of outers, and a short middle and a long middle. Hrmmmm.
Last edited by Floatdog; Sep 19, 2020 at 02:28 AM. Reason: changed_my_mind
Sep 25, 2020, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Brief moments of excitement upon discovering Mark Drela's Apogee had a solid wing.
Bit of concern at the spec of 4 pcf for solid and 6 pcf for a solid D with ribs and TE.
Reality is 8-10 for normal availability wood for me here now, and that means 60% of my wing volume is fresh air just to get a built-up wing close.

Quick Reply