Thread Tools
Apr 10, 2002, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

Aileron Torque Tube plug-in

Byron Originals have (had) a neat fitting that allowed you to use a torque rod on your ailerons which had a square end that plugged into a receptical in the fuselage when you plugged in the wings. The aileron servo was linked to an arm on the receptical.

I am looking for such a fitting but the Byron one is too big and anyway, they are tits-up!

Do any of the sailplane mfgs have such a piece of hardware? I could make something, but I am trying to find an off the shelf solution first, as it is for an airplane that might be kitted.

Any advice appreciated.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2002, 07:47 AM
Registered User

Aileron driver

You might use the RDS if there is enough width in the fuselage for horizontally mounted servos. See:

If there isn't enough room for a horizontally mounted servos you can still use the bent rod into the slot in the root of the servo but with an arm on the rod inside the fuselage with a clevice and pushrod to a vertically mounted servo located at any convenient place in the fuselage.

The dominant practise today is to mount the servo in the wing instead of the fuselage. Simpler is beter.
Apr 11, 2002, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
This is a plug-in wing, with an aileron that only reaches inboard about 50% span. So the usual torque tube link certainly won't work. Also, it is 8% thick so too thin at the aileron for a servo.

I have considered the RDS but you still need a servo in the wing and I have a full depth spar smack in the middle of the thickest part of the wing, which is still pretty thin.

I am well aware of the standard aileron actuating methods. This particular model calls for something a bit different
Apr 11, 2002, 08:27 PM
Registered User

Aileron coupling

There are 10mm thick servos available. Even if the servo sticks above the surface a bit, a wing mounted servo is superior to a fuselage mounted aileron servo and its linkages, in my opinion.

There was a Swedish device that was called a Swingee. It translates longitudinal motion into rotary motion and would allow a pushrod along the length of the wing. The Swingee is about 3/16 of an inch thick at the hinge line, has an actuating arm which swings in the plane of the wing that projects forward of the hinge line, will take a ball link and has a plastic tab that fits in a slot in the aileron. I haven't seen them marketed for about 10 years but, maybe you can find a pair in someone's junk box.
Apr 11, 2002, 09:07 PM
Registered User
I believe an item very similar to the Swingee is still available from Hobby Lobby
Aug 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Did you ever find what you needed?

I need to find the same thing - would like to know what you ended doing...

Aug 15, 2006, 02:37 PM
Registered User
rogerflies's Avatar
The swingee-like item is: CH901 Hidden Control Horns, pair ..... $ 6.90

It's under glow accessories.


Quick Reply

Thread Tools