Sep 14, 2020, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Airtronics Stylus experts needed how to perform "factory reset"

I have an Airtronics Stylus, (one of three) which I recently acquired. The issue I am having is that no matter what I program, only the first approximately 50% of the stick movement has affect on the servos. It is only this one transmitter that has this issue. The servo gets full deflection on that early movement and than the rest of the stick movement is dead. This is on all channels and any aircraft setting or model selection. It is just this one transmitter of the three I own.

EDIT;
It looks like I may have caused a software crash by improperly removing the glider card which was in the radio. There is a procedure which I did not follow therefore I must have caused the computer to crash. So according to the "WARNING" in the card instructions, The radio now requires a factory reset. hard to do when Airtronics is No More. So instructions for this procedure would be appreciated.
Last edited by Otakar; Sep 15, 2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: update information
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakar
I have an Airtronics Stylus, (one of three) which I recently acquired. The issue I am having is that no matter what I program, only the first approximately 50% of the stick movement has affect on the servos. It is only this one transmitter that has this issue. The servo gets full deflection on that early movement and than the rest of the stick movement is dead. This is on all channels and any aircraft setting or model selection. It is just this one transmitter of the three I own.

Check the VTR (variable trace ratio). Make sure it's off. VTR acts like a EXPO setting. Another possibility could be that when the coin 3v battery was changed out, the TX wasn't re-calibrated.
Sep 14, 2020, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Two very good suggestions. First of all, where do I find the VTR? I can't find it in the menu. Second: can I calibrate the system myself? I did not change the battery but if this is the case I can do it at this time since it takes calibration anyway. I did change the battery in one of my other radios and this did not happen. I did check the manual and can't find the VTR.

EDIT: !!!! OK I just checked it. I did replace the memory battery. Just like I did in my others. It is replaced with a 1000MAh Prismatic Li-Ion rechargeable. It is a BlackBerry cellphone battery. I have a few hundred of them since I used to work for RIM (BlackBerry) Checked the voltage on it and it is at 3.82V. This is still good but I put it on charge anyway to top it off. I normally do this about once a year. I also replace the modular main battery with 6x 2200MAh 18650 cells 3s2p. This gives me 4400MAh of battery.
Last edited by Otakar; Sep 14, 2020 at 04:43 PM.
Sep 14, 2020, 04:41 PM
Dash till Puff
Quote:
I have an Airtronics Stylus, (one of three) which I recently acquired.
used ? I loved it when I was a teenager but I would not pay anything for it right now.

if we compare the Stylus and the 9Z to the junk that it's made now by Horizon Hobby and others.... pffff
Sep 14, 2020, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
I bought my first Stylus a year after they first came out. Cost a fortune back than. Just like when I bought my first Vision back in the late 80s ( know it was before the first Gulf War) It also cost a fortune even with my huge military discount. I hated the Vision. Not user friendly at all. The Stylus is much better but the RD8000 is the Best. I always bought the top of the line Airtronics radios one year after they first came out. I figured that the bugs were worked out by than. The only radio I did not buy was the Infinity-10. It was just too ugly for my taste. I started this tradition with the Championship series back in the early 80s when Airtronics first started importing Sanwa radios. Since I got hooked on Sanwa when I was stationed in Iwakuni Japan in 79 and bought my first Black Custom H radio. My first store bought radio. The only thing I had before was my Hethkit GD-19 5ch which I built in 1973 when I was in 8th grade.
Sep 14, 2020, 06:45 PM
I always wanted the Stylus
Sep 14, 2020, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
I really like the radio not for this one issue. There are a few on sale on eBay at this moment. I think there are three including one brand new one for $200 complete in box. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtronics-...AAAOSwfEVe8fYf I noticed you are a neighbor. I live in Burr Ridge. I am also selling a good one converted to 2.4GHz DSSS Corona.
Sep 14, 2020, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I work in Burr Ridge. I will keep you in mind but not ready to pull the trigger on one yet
Sep 14, 2020, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
They are being sold for next to nothing nowadays considering they used to sell for almost a Grand when they first came out. Airtronics used to sell a 2.4GHz conversion for them way back when which was sold for more than the complete radio is being sold for today. Unfortunately it was their first generation 2.4GHz and the receivers are no longer available for those. Good thing about the Corona DSSS conversion is that the receivers sell for around $20 depending on where you buy them. I have converted around thirty radios to the Corona system and about 12 of those are mine. I've converted everything from the Championship to the Module, Vision, RD6000/8000, Radiant, Caliber, Infinity, VG6000 and Stylus. The radios that worked well before the conversion work just as well or better after conversion. I started with the conversion of the Radiant transmitters first. Did a bunch and then started doing the others.
Sep 15, 2020, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Two very good suggestions. First of all, where do I find the VTR? I can't find it in the menu. Second: can I calibrate the system myself? I did not change the battery but if this is the case I can do it at this time since it takes calibration anyway. I did change the battery in one of my other radios and this did not happen. I did check the manual and can't find the VTR.

EDIT: !!!! OK I just checked it. I did replace the memory battery. Just like I did in my others. It is replaced with a 1000MAh Prismatic Li-Ion rechargeable. It is a BlackBerry cellphone battery. I have a few hundred of them since I used to work for RIM (BlackBerry) Checked the voltage on it and it is at 3.82V. This is still good but I put it on charge anyway to top it off. I normally do this about once a year. I also replace the modular main battery with 6x 2200MAh 18650 cells 3s2p. This gives me 4400MAh of battery.
Go to edit in the TX and keep pressing arrow key until you come EXP/VTR. To make VTR off all settings should be set to 0%. To calibrate the TX system procedure is very complex. You have to take the TX apart, remove coin battery. and short out the mother board with a paper clip. Then answer 5-6 questions. LOL. I've done it once. I have the instructions someplace. bought battery from Digi-Key. None of this procedure needs to be done if the Coin 3volt battery voltage reads no lower than 2.6 volts.

Maybe you might not have EXP/VTR if you don't have a added Glider or Aero card. You've got to have a card otherwise the Stylus sucks. What kind of planes are you flying?
Last edited by Rich Speroni; Sep 15, 2020 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Added info
Sep 15, 2020, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
OK, mine is just EXP but no VTR. It is set to all 0% When you say "short out motherboard" are you saying where the coin battery was? This is easy for me because the coin battery was replaced with a rechargeable, plug in prismatic. Do you think you might be able to find those calibration instructions? The EXP setup is where it is supposed to be so it must be the calibration or something else altogether.

I fly almost exclusively scale. This radio did have a glider card at one time which I still have but removed. My other radios never had any cards and work very well. Never has any issues with those. As mentioned before, this transmitter was bought relatively recently on eBay.
Sep 15, 2020, 07:47 AM
Thread OP
I just looked up the AERO/ACRO card instructions and noticed on page two or three something about "factory" reset by Airtronics being required if card is removed while system is turned on because of the system crashing. Is this what I am looking at? As mentioned, I never had use for a "card" therefore I must have removed the card improperly and caused a "system crash"
Sep 15, 2020, 04:18 PM
Quote:

EDIT;
It looks like I may have caused a software crash by improperly removing the glider card which was in the radio. There is a procedure which I did not follow therefore I must have caused the computer to crash. So according to the "WARNING" in the card instructions, The radio now requires a factory reset. hard to do when Airtronics is No More. So instructions for this procedure would be appreciated.
Here's how to re-calibrate. Which may also reset settings. Scroll down to find it.

http://www.raysmodels.ca/Technical%2...eplacement.doc
Sep 15, 2020, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the link. I downloaded it into my Airtronics manuals database.
Boy ja-aint -kidn when you say that it is complicated. There are a lot of intricate steps to do. I'm going to have to read this a few times through to make sure I understand the wording correctly. Fortunately I need not do most of the mechanical steps for disassembly and reassembly. All the battery guts are already gone since I replaced it with the 18650 pack. It's just the proper positioning and repositioning of the sticks, sliders and knobs.
Last edited by Otakar; Sep 15, 2020 at 06:23 PM.
Sep 15, 2020, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
This is what the guts of my particular radio look like since I converted it to Corona 2.4GHz and Lithium batteries. I used an old "Module Series/Spectra" module to install the Corona conversion kit into and the antenna is installed in the same spot as the original antenna. Unlike the conversion module from Airtronics which has the antenna sticking out of the back of the module. I am pointing at the SVC contact points with a toothpick. I will make myself a little jumper which I can insert into the holes so I don't have to hold anything in them and I can lay the radio down on it's back while I am doing all the "knob twisting, stick juggling and button punching".

Quick Reply