Sep 14, 2020, 11:56 AM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
Thread OP
Discussion

Moving The LSF NATS IN 2021

This thread is going to blow up...I know it will... so here goes...

On July 30th 2020 I got an email from the AMA which contained the 2021 NATS schedule. I have included the schedule as part of this thread. As luck would have it the schedule was non-negotiable after multiple pleas, by myself to the AMA, a more or less take it or leave it scenario. I am guessing that none of the SIGS were included in the input phase which is sad.

In the background, and none of you were aware, for 2020 I reached out to Smoky Hill ANG range just north of Wichita to see if they would host us. Logistics aside it was centrally located but the bottom line was it was way to windy there to hold a NATS. I have spent an inordinate amount of time over the range, so why not ask.

The 2020 NATS, during a pandemic, went off smoothly thanks to Gil Gauger, the CD's and volunteers. The sailplane brotherhood is amazing. I sat from afar and read what I could about the daily happenings. I received NO HATEMAIL... except for one phone call from some amigos that were half in the toilet so to speak and the alcohol was helping, about one person. I consider that a good NATS.

Now on to the purpose of the thread.

I reached out to Jeff Carr and asked him to request permission from the Triple Tree Aerodrome (TTA)Board of Directors to hold the 2021 NATS at their field. It took a few weeks but they have responded in the positive and have blocked out 17-25 July 2021. In addition, Boy Scout Troop 3 from Woodruff has accepted our request for support for cooking and golf cart driving.

While this may seem retaliatory in moving away from Muncie, I only asked TTA as result of losing flying days at Muncie, having no input into the AMA schedule, and trying to make sure those folks going to a NATS have all the flying days they request.

With that said this is formal notification that we are heading to TTA in July 2021. Their website: https://tta.aero/

V/R,
Wally
Last edited by wadasczi; Sep 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2020, 01:06 PM
Sounds good to me; nothing in the book says the soaring nats has to be about Muncie.
Sep 14, 2020, 01:40 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
For clarity, the AMA is offering to the LSF the same number of days and type of days as they had originally offered last year, correct? A Sunday through the following Sunday for 8 total days? The attached calendar doesn't list number of sites. Did they give details on that?

As an FYI the F3K World Champs is listed as July 10 through the 17th.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Sep 14, 2020, 01:53 PM
JimN8UAY
Running the NATS concurrent with Free Flight, and now Helis, has always been a mixed bag of issues. Out of 8 days, 6 are with other events side-by-side next year. With less support than in the past,(only one shower, no on-site food) and anticipated crowded venue (camping spots, RVs) I'm all for trying a new site. As a past attendee of the MidSouth at Triple Tree, I can attest the facilities are very nice, the flying fields pristine and plenty of space to hold multiple, concurrent soaring events if needed. Although the drive is twice as far for me I still am planning on being there! Looking forward to further talk about this!
Sep 14, 2020, 01:59 PM
Wow
Sep 14, 2020, 02:01 PM
Team Crunch Brothers
And Muncie is hosting not one, but TWO FAI World Championships next year? And they will not even consider hosting an F3K or F3J WC? Yup, I know exactly where the soaring disciplines rate in the AMA pecking order....
Sep 14, 2020, 02:36 PM
Hey Wally,

Thanks for all that you do to organize the Nats, run the LSF, etc. Can I try to summarize what you posted for clarity sake?

1) The 2021 RC Soaring Nats will definitely be held July 17-25, 2021 in South Carolina. This is a done deal, folks can put it in their calendars, the AMA has given the blessing on this, etc.
2) The attached PDF was what the AMA was offering to the LSF and should not be confused with the 2021 Nats dates. It should in fact be disregarded by anyone lest they be confused about what the dates for 2021 will be.
3) Support has been negotiated from a local Boy Scout troop for winch line retrieval, food, etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
Sep 14, 2020, 03:05 PM
duplicate
Sep 14, 2020, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude
And Muncie is hosting not one, but TWO FAI World Championships next year? And they will not even consider hosting an F3K or F3J WC? Yup, I know exactly where the soaring disciplines rate in the AMA pecking order....
Not to hijack Wally's thread but your comment requires an answer:

The AMA does not put on a WC, they make the venue available but an outside organization must run the event. We looked at trying to run an F3J WC in Muncie over a decade ago but there was not enough expertise available to take the reins and do all the work to create the proposals, lobby the FAI and all the assorted other things that need to be done to bring off a WC. Lots of guys wanted to attend, not so many were willing to give up their time and effort to make it happen.

Your comments are completely disingenuous.
Sep 14, 2020, 03:23 PM
How is the weather in SC in late July?
Sep 14, 2020, 03:36 PM
Balsa breaks better
Just my thoughts . . .

We are moving half way across the country to the east making an already long journey for the West coast folks longer to hold the NATs a week earlier?
How many from the Rockies west this year?
Will there be more folks from the East coast?

Sharing with Free Flight as we have done on more than one occasion is a problem?

Doesn't 2.4 make the one day with helis a non issue?

The weather is hotter and stickier, been there, done that, than Muncie . . . Have family 50 miles NW of TTA . . . ;>)

Joe

Who's plans to move to Muncie to sleep in my own bed for the NATs seem to be kicked in the Na . .

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Sep 14, 2020, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Hey Wally,

Thanks for all that you do to organize the Nats, run the LSF, etc. Can I try to summarize what you posted for clarity sake?

1) The 2021 RC Soaring Nats will definitely be held July 17-25, 2021 in South Carolina. This is a done deal, folks can put it in their calendars, the AMA has given the blessing on this, etc.
2) The attached PDF was what the AMA was offering to the LSF and should not be confused with the 2021 Nats dates. It should in fact be disregarded by anyone lest they be confused about what the dates for 2021 will be.
3) Support has been negotiated from a local Boy Scout troop for winch line retrieval, food, etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
1. The AMA has not been notified and I have no idea I needed a blessing. I will check on that aspect.
2. The email that came out from the AMA had all the SIG POCs in the header. As far as I am concerned that is the schedule for the 2021 NATS.
3. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Sep 14, 2020, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
For clarity, the AMA is offering to the LSF the same number of days and type of days as they had originally offered last year, correct? A Sunday through the following Sunday for 8 total days? The attached calendar doesn't list number of sites. Did they give details on that?

As an FYI the F3K World Champs is listed as July 10 through the 17th.

Ryan
Yes 8 days - Site 5 only
Sep 14, 2020, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757
How is the weather in SC in late July?
Your underarm deodorant will run out 10 minutes after you leave the hotel to get to the field....
Sep 14, 2020, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadasczi
2. The email that came out from the AMA had all the SIG POCs in the header. As far as I am concerned that is the schedule for the 2021 NATS.
What I was trying to clarify was the dates in the PDF have "Soaring" being ran from July 25 to August 1 and that if people look at your post and open that document they could be confused and think those are the 2021 RC Soaring Nats dates when that isn't the case.

Ryan

Quick Reply