Sep 13, 2020, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum signal loss - Apprentice STS

Back to the hobby after 30 years.
Flight number 10 on an Apprentice STS, flying in beginner mode. Preflight, including a range check from the rear and sweeping to the side was all good. Went upwind, made my turn and climb to about 100 feet. The plane was about 120 feet away then made a sudden turn to the left. Wind was calm at ground lvl. I gave it some right stick - no response. I then noticed it was losing altitude. No response to throttle or elevator, and it's headed for the trees!!! I tried right stick again - still no response. I fought it until I saw it get taken down. Then came the"crunch" sound . Found it 40' up in the trees. For the heck of it, I blipped the throttle and it responded. 8 hours later, I had my plane back.

I've done some bench testing, and most of the time things check out fine. I sim sig loss by turning the tx off. The rx/tx have bound quickly all but one time.

Tx battery voltage was 5.98v (Dxe). Flight pack voltage was full (fresh charge), and after being in the tree for 8+ hours, was 11.56v.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2020, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Just did some range checks this morning. I wanted to prove to myself that the Tx was actually reducing power, and try to determine at what range I would loose communication.

Did not see any lack of response until I was about 150 yards away. It was sensitive to Tx antenna position in reduced power, but at full power antenna orientation did not seem to matter.

Jim
Sep 25, 2020, 09:08 AM
Must make sure receiver is in the clear, not close to ESC or close to motor and antennas should be in the open and not jumbled in with servo wires and such. At these higher frequencies, things are different than 72mhz. Just use good RF practices, and do not point the antenna of your transmitter at the aircraft. Better luck next time
Sep 26, 2020, 10:36 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Did you happen to notice if there were any large antennas in-line with you and the aircraft? We have one of those nasty zones at our field, several including myself have found if you fly towards or from the towers keeping the aircraft aligned with the towers something happens with the receiver. The antenna farm is about two miles away on a hill.

We now warn users at our field about this and advise them to fly across.
Oct 19, 2021, 07:21 PM
I know this thread is a little dated. I think you will want to read this.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...entice-warning
Oct 22, 2021, 05:55 PM
Buddy and I pretty much determined there was one of these affected areas where we flew. Only affected the old AR6000 on the original DX6. Never had a crash, but you knew something was happening.

Quick Reply