Sep 13, 2020, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Airplane-like bicopter

I know that this is not technicaly an airplane, but it lacks hovering capability (the rotors are fixed) and flies very much like one as it relies on aerodynamic stability for both pitch and yaw.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2020, 12:13 PM
Are the same propellers responsible for forward movement?

Is there some way to affect lift and forward speed separately? It needs the speed for the tail surfaces to be effective.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
Rotors are for both lift and forward propulsion. How fast it flies in level flight is controled by the elevator.
Sep 13, 2020, 01:11 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Both motors appear to be angle slightly forward.

Are you using differential throttle for steering control ? as there appears to be no rudder.

Sep 13, 2020, 01:13 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
How about a video of it actually flying ?

Sep 13, 2020, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Here is its predecessor in action! The new one is just fancier bodywork and a bit more high quality motors.

Bicopter plane hybrid (1 min 12 sec)

Sorry about the shaky camera...
Sep 13, 2020, 06:54 PM
Cool flying machine Aero
Sep 13, 2020, 07:30 PM
Retired CAD guy
Nice short field , almost VTOL operation.

Will you be sharing details ?

Current presumptions are ...
1. Contra rotating props
2. Aileron mixed with differential to the ESC's controls for Roll
2a. possible mix with rudder for yaw as well ?
3. CG at or near the Leading edge stubs.
4. _____________________ other stuff if necessary.

thanx
Sep 14, 2020, 01:10 AM
Cool!
Flight controller or gyros involved here?
Sep 14, 2020, 05:08 AM
Thread OP
Contra rotating props yes, connected to a GTPower multicopter flight controller in hexcopter mode so the side rotor motor ports used are decoupled from pitch, and yaw damping turned down.

I'm not yet 100% sure how to calculate where to put the CG as there is no wing chord, I suspect the real reference should be the relation between distance to rotors and distance to tailplane... So far I've been placing it fairly close to the leading edge of the rotor discs.
Sep 14, 2020, 07:57 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiA
Contra rotating props yes, connected to a GTPower multicopter flight controller in hexcopter mode so the side rotor motor ports used are decoupled from pitch, and yaw damping turned down.

I'm not yet 100% sure how to calculate where to put the CG as there is no wing chord, I suspect the real reference should be the relation between distance to rotors and distance to tailplane... So far I've been placing it fairly close to the leading edge of the rotor discs.
the rotors are the wing !
think as fixed wing vs. rotary wing
Latest blog entry: Alula-EVO
Sep 14, 2020, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiA
Contra rotating props yes, connected to a GTPower multicopter flight controller...
Ah, thanks.
Now I understand why roll is controllable. I tried something similar without a flight controller. Roll control was all over the place
Sep 14, 2020, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Ah, thanks.
Now I understand why roll is controllable. I tried something similar without a flight controller. Roll control was all over the place
My first prototype was built with the same optimism, it was always on its back after one second or so!
Sep 15, 2020, 06:20 AM
You did a very impressive job getting it all working. I like it. It turned out good. Congratulations.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Sep 15, 2020, 04:28 PM
DFS#000178
That's actually really freaking cool!

Now sit back and wait for Banggood to start selling it's clones.

Quick Reply