Sep 13, 2020, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Andrews Aeromaster Too

Hoping some of you guys can help.

I wanted to know how you installed a four stroke on an Andrews Aeromaster Too. There does not seem to be much room without hacking off the front or letting it hang out the front by more than an inch. Do you have any build pictures with a four stroke?

My 16 year old son wanted his own biplane. A good friend of mine heard that and practically gifted him an Andrews aeromaster kit for him to build. He will be doing the build with my help.

We need to pick up an engine for it, but were undecided on if we wanted a 2 stroke .61 or 4 stroke .91. He like the idea of building with a 2 since the original was designed for it. However I know the goal is to fly it and I think the quieter 4 stroke would also be able to spin a bigger prop and perhaps give him better performance. I think the deciding factor will be how complicated it will be to add a 4 stoke to this plane. I wanted to make it as close to as-built as possible for his first kit build so I can teach him how to use the plans and guide.

I would love some pictures of the engine installations.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2020, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by herreraa
l0

l0 0

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think Tapapalk is spamming this thread.
Sep 13, 2020, 11:24 AM
Four stroke installed, but the picture isn't going to help much. Not my model.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:08 PM
Slow Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxus812
I think Tapapalk is spamming this thread.
Sorry about that i already requested to be deleted. It was not me.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by herreraa
Sorry about that i already requested to be deleted. It was not me.
No worries . I thought it was an accident.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:00 PM
Use the Great Planes Super Aeromaster plans and manual for information on how to mount a 4 stroke. see link

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10240

The plan PDF also has pictures of how to mount a four stroke. Think it's the 4th page.

That website doesnt allow direct links. The owners a control freak so u have to load the page so he can get ad revenue.

Anyway there is also a Build Manual that has directions for installing a 4 stroke.

Regards
Last edited by Roguedog; Sep 13, 2020 at 04:09 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 07:05 PM
Fiberglass Specialties has cowling for the SuperAeromaster... I'm sure some people have retrofitted them to this original Aeromaster. There's a few styles available... with blisters, and without.

A round cowling would probably fit over that whole engine mount area, cheeks and all. These planes take on a whole different look when a cowling is added around that engine. Some are also built with a wooden cowl/engine enclosure too. Just a few thoughts there.

There's also a few threads that were going on quite a while back, with some active building going on.... I'm sure I posted in those somewhere along the way. You might do a search on it, as there was some talented builders that finished their Aeromasters nicely.

I'm a fan of this plane, and actually have 2 kits(one GP's version, one Andrews version), and these are on my bucket list to build(somewhere in the line anyway)... I nearly started one a few years back, but the giant scale bug bit my again, and it bit really hard.

These are all great builders kits, as well as great collector kits. Good luck with your project.
Sep 14, 2020, 09:47 AM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
In my opinion the Aeromaster is perfectly suited for a 2 stroke engine. The power from a good K&B 61 is more than adequate! I am using a 40 year old small case ST60 in mine - perfect! The extra weight of a 4 stroke up front would most likely require ballast at the rear.

Sep 14, 2020, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
In my opinion the Aeromaster is perfectly suited for a 2 stroke engine. The power from a good K&B 61 is more than adequate! I am using a 40 year old small case ST60 in mine - perfect! The extra weight of a 4 stroke up front would most likely require ballast at the rear.

So I did all kinds of research figured out how to add the four stroke. I also found out that the newer 4 stroke engines are actually lighter with more horsepower than the older 2 stroke engines with mufflers. I then even calculated what engine would work best in this model. Wrote it all up and I then sat down with my son to discuss what power plant He wanted to use.

He looked up and said dad, I really would like to go vintage. I showed him you picture and his eyes lit up. That is cool! I think it would be so cool flying it.

So now I’m going to hunt down an Enya .60 or ST .61 .

Lol
Sep 14, 2020, 09:38 PM
AMA 32832 - SPA L27-VRCS 1138
That's a good one! I approve!

Sep 16, 2020, 08:16 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Since you are hunting for a classic engine, ST 61 Blue Head or Lee Custom Veco 61.

Which wing configuration did your son choose? I always liked the swept upper and short lower.

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Sep 16, 2020 at 08:22 AM.
Sep 16, 2020, 11:26 AM
Modeling Retread
The Aeromaster Bipe was designed back when the 60s had smaller cases. Those engines were about the same power as modern 45. I had one of these with a ST 61 and it was a great flier. The STs were not as small at the K&B or the Veco 60s but the are smaller than some others. Check the dimensions of any motor you're thinking of using. You can get a great version of the K&B from Clarence Lee (see Model Aviation classifieds) and it would be perfect for this airplane.
Latest blog entry: Why Do A Build Log?
Sep 16, 2020, 12:18 PM
c/f
c/f
I built two of these, one swept with 2 ailerons, one non swept 4 ailerons this bipe definately needs 4 ailerons. Both where powered with ST Bluehead .6o with Macs Flo Thruu mufflers, stock mufflers still NIB.

I also have small case ST 60. and Blue head ST 60. PM if interested, Even got a bluehead that did not have a blue head as new from hobby shop. If I where to do it today a YS 63 would be my choice for some low end grunt versus high rpm powerband of a 2C
Latest blog entry: Times up,,......
Sep 16, 2020, 09:05 PM

4 stroke conversion

there are many ways to get a 4 stroke to fit, one is move the firewall back,
another would be to open up the firewall and let the engine slide back since it mounts to wood rails, jus make sure there's enough air for the carb or just let it hang out there
Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
there are many ways to get a 4 stroke to fit, one is move the firewall back,
another would be to open up the firewall and let the engine slide back since it mounts to wood rails, jus make sure there's enough air for the carb or just let it hang out there
This, really, modifying the kit a little is just part and parcel of building. I have a scratch built one currently awaiting covering. I put a normal ply firewall in, about 1" back from the original location, and used a regular glass/nylon mount to mount an OS81a. That engine weighs about the same as a .60 two stroke anyways.

That said, if you're going for a vintage 60 size 2 stroke... just build it as plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
Those engines were about the same power as modern 45
Give or take, yes. I'd say a 45 is a bit less power, maybe the newer 52 or 55 sizes are equal, but your point stands.

Quick Reply