Sep 13, 2020, 09:49 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

Have a look at this!

I found this posted on RCG. He should not be running that engine in that condition!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=68

to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2020, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I found this posted on RCG. He should not be running that engine in that condition!

He really shouldn't, but meanwhile it actually IS amazing what that old design can handle in the way of mechanical imperfections... Lots of designs out there that would have catastrophically failed long before...
Sep 13, 2020, 09:57 AM
Well, the engine belongs to him. He can do anything he wants with it. Why should we be telling him what to do or not to do. I am amazed that it still runs good even with all of the problems it has.
Last edited by earlwb; Sep 13, 2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
Sep 13, 2020, 10:13 AM
I saw that video a while ago. The engine is wore out. So what? Many people run engines until they break or won't run anymore.
Sep 13, 2020, 10:23 AM
My first concern would be that shaft may break loose at any time and could hurt some one. If so, then it becomes a huge issue....
Sep 13, 2020, 10:42 AM
I think it is a testament to how reliable a OS four stroke engine is. I remember running my Fox Hawk ,60 engine in a Atlas pattern plane and it started being like that too. I was flying it like three to four flights every day for three to four days a week practicing. One day at a pattern competition, I noticed after a flight that the crankshaft was very loose like that OS engine shown in the video. But it was my only working pattern plane that weekend, so I kept on flying it for the rest of the meet. When the engine was cool, the crankshaft was tight and smooth turning. But when the engine got heated up the crankshaft and bearing s were very loose. Later at home I swapped out the engine for another Hawk ,60 and put the worn one in the rebuild pile. I rebuilt the engine years later and it is still a good runner today.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Sep 13, 2020, 01:19 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Looks like it would be simple to replace the bearings and it would be good for quite a while longer.

Looks like the bearing is just sliding forward out of the crankcase.

Sep 13, 2020, 01:27 PM
Whats that drip ? 🤭
I've seen that video before, the front bearing support broke off the front of the crankcase. I believe his intentions were to fly it till it died. It needs a replacement crankcase, probably hard to find, and not worth the effort, other than replacing the entire engine complete.
Sep 13, 2020, 01:57 PM
I love it. Fly it til it explodes. That poor thing's rebuild left the station a long time ago.

carl
Sep 13, 2020, 09:07 PM
Yeah I forgot that his poor engine must have been in a crash or something as the front bearing section of the crankcase appeared to be broken off. You are correct in trying to get a crankcase would be like finding hens teeth.
Sep 13, 2020, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man

haha.... yeah.... as the guy picks the plane up after it's running... using ALL 2 rubberbands that are holding the wing on.... and they're loose as well.

Oh well... just another hacker with a scabby plane... just having fun I guess. LOL.
Sep 13, 2020, 09:42 PM
Let 's see:
No one is around..... check
Excellent control of the plane.... check
Aerobatic maneuvers with no ailerons.... check
Engine works.... check although bang like a bansheee...
Safe landings.... check...
Fun factor... check..

Sooo... what was it. We shouldn't let him fly... WHAT.?.???
I've seen a lot more dangerous flying with $$$$'s of dollars of "perfect" equipment and people are oo'hh and aaah' just because it looks good......
Sep 13, 2020, 11:24 PM
The most fun Ive had in rc was when stupid stuff is going on . I tip my hat at this guy and I bet everyone loves it when he brings it out . We used to have a after dark club where all sorts of shenanigans went on after all the straight kill joys went home . I miss those days . cheers
Sep 14, 2020, 06:14 AM
I would have been having too much fun and laughing hysterically about the engine still working. I would have crashed for sure from all of the laughing.
Sep 14, 2020, 08:29 AM
I always think of that video when the guys talk about changing bearings once a year, or if they see a spot of rust. I have hundreds of motors and only needed to replace a handful of bearings. That is not counting my thumb. I am pretty sure that motor would not be running if it was a two stroke, and doubt that the timing gears will hold out too much longer. Pretty sure that the guy got his moneys worth from the motor. I have planes that are almost as rough looking. Well not quite, I use the colour matching Tuck Tape. Not the Red Green duct tape..

Quick Reply