Sep 12, 2020, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Monokote Trim Solvent

Does anyone have a bottle of Top Fliteís Monokote Trim Solvent they would consider selling? Iíve used it for years and finally running out of my last bottle. Any replies are appreciated. Even the ones telling me itís liquid gold and you also have a Unicorn for sale...... Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2020, 12:37 PM
There are some things a man just can't sell. Have you tried ebay?

I saw somebody selling empty cans of fuel and dope there once.
Sep 13, 2020, 08:35 AM
Oxford Panic
It may be the same stuff that was sold a long time ago for Solarfilm and now not available. The bottle said it was MEK, methylethylketone a similar compound to acetone. I tried acetone and it doesn't work well. It could be that MEK is on some kind of restricted list these days.

A.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:00 PM
Scott
Isn't polyester resin catalyst MEK?

Scott
Sep 13, 2020, 02:05 PM
If you check the threads at the bottom of this page the formula has been talked about several times.
Sep 13, 2020, 02:12 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Isn't polyester resin catalyst MEK?

Scott
Nah, that's different stuff. MEK is methyl ethyl ketone, and the catalyst is MEKP, the 'P' is for peroxide, which changes how things work.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Sep 13, 2020, 02:49 PM
Oxford Panic
I remember reading a warning about organic peroxides, don't get the stuff in your eyes as it can cause progressive blindness.

A.
Sep 13, 2020, 05:55 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Unfortunately true. Non-reversible
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Sep 14, 2020, 10:56 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird
Nah, that's different stuff. MEK is methyl ethyl ketone, and the catalyst is MEKP, the 'P' is for peroxide, which changes how things work.
I knew it was one or the other, couldn't remember. Thanks.

Scott
Sep 14, 2020, 06:33 PM
Think people have luck using windex to apply Monokote as trim. Seems safer.
Sep 14, 2020, 07:39 PM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Think people have luck using windex to apply Monokote as trim. Seems safer.
Using Windex is not luck, it is a great way to apply trim colors on Monokote, been doing it that way for decades.
Just finished this one a couple of months ago by floating all trim colors and graphics on with Windex.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Sep 14, 2020 at 08:18 PM.
Sep 14, 2020, 10:07 PM
Scott
Bob, do you iron down the edges or just squeegee out the windex and let it dry. I have heard both ways.

Scott
Sep 15, 2020, 04:23 AM
Oxford Panic
IIRC the solvent was only for applying film as trim over film as it is not sticky enough without heat and applying heat would just result in too many bubbles.
Sep 15, 2020, 06:18 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Bob, do you iron down the edges or just squeegee out the windex and let it dry. I have heard both ways.

Scott
I squeegee all the Windex out as much as I can and allow it to dry two or even three days, followed by ironing everything down. Even then in some areas you can have small bubbles, so I have a sharp exacto blade I pop them with and run the iron over.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Sep 27, 2020 at 09:26 PM.
Sep 15, 2020, 10:33 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
I squeegee all the Windex out as much as I can and allow it to dry two or even three days, followed by ironing everything down. Even then in some areas you can have small bubbles, so I have a sharp exacting blade I pop them with and run the iron over.

Bob
Thanks

Scott

Quick Reply