Sep 11, 2020, 10:44 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Discussion

2nd Annual North/South F5J Challenge - Oct 24-25 in Visalia

NorCal Electric Soaring is pleased to announce the 2nd annual North/South F5J Challenge in Visalia CA. The Challenge is the brainchild of Fred Weaver. Fred wanted to rekindle the annual North/South competition, fun, and camaraderie that existed for TD pilots many years ago.

Name: fred-weaver-373px.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 66.7 KB
Description:

Fred "Mr. North" Weaver aka The Weav

The North/South F5J Challenge is open to ALL USA PILOTS and is all about bragging rights. You join the North or South team when you register–you get to pick your team regardless of your geographical location. This 2-day contest is an F5J USA Tour event that counts toward season points. No fly-offs, one discard spanning both days. The top pilot scores from each team will be combined at the end to determine the winning team (details below). A perpetual trophy will be given to the winning team to be held for the season as proof that their team is The Best!

So how did last year's event turn out? It was a squeaker! Details starting HERE.

Name: north-south-F5J-logo-250px.png
Views: 6
Size: 16.3 KB
Description:

Event Dates: October 24-25, 2020 The field will be open all day Friday for practice and a Low Launch Challenge for an hour starting around 1:00pm.

Location: Visala, California. Home field of Central Valley RC (CVRC). Field location here

Hosting Club: NorCal Electric Soaring (NES) is an electrics club based in Northern California. NES chose to rent the field from CVRC and hold this event in Visalia because the CVRC field has become a very popular venue for F5J. Note that NES is not retaining any contest fees that are collected. All money will be used to cover expenses and the field rental fee.

Staff: CD- Sandy Smith, Event coordinator- Chris Bajorek (NES)

Contest fee: $50 seniors, $30 juniors. Fee includes Subway sandwiches, chips, and water both days.

Goal is 25 pilots, minimum: Thanks in advance for signing up early if you can!

Registration: Register and select your team at this link. Registration cutoff is noon Fri Oct 23. All pilots must be AMA members.

Pilots list at this link --- Team rosters are here

Awards:
Tour awards: 1st - 5th Tour award plaques. These awards will reflect the Tour rankings for the event (single flight matrix for all pilots).
Team award: The winning team will take possession of the perpetual trophy for the entire upcoming Tour season.

Name: N-S-Trophy-250px.png
Views: 4
Size: 32.2 KB
Description:

Contest affiliation: F5J USA Tour

Name: F5J-USA-Logo-150px.png
Views: 3
Size: 11.4 KB
Description:

Contest rules here.

FAI rules clarifications and deviations:
1. Motor restarts - Per Tour rules emergency motor restarts are allowed in exchange for a zero flight.
2. Altimeters - Altimeter hardware is allowed but the use of altimeter telemetry is forbidden during the contest.
3. Landing direction - Barring unusual field conditions we will allow landings from any direction per FAI and Tour rules.
Event rules and processes here. The only deviation from this list is the pilots meeting at 8:00am and first flight 8:30am both days.

FAI F5J limiters required: Your planes must be outfitted with an approved limiter, listed here.

Contest Teams: You pick your team (North or South) when you register. You can view the current team pilots list here. PICK YOUR TEAM WISELY! Once you have made your choice that is your team for this year’s event. Note there is no geographical requirement for signing up for a particular team–you pick the team you want to compete with.

Each team is encouraged to select a team bandana/neck rag and design a team t-shirt. Designs can be posted at no charge as shirts for online ordering at the F5J USA shirts store.

Contest format and Team scoring: The field will be laid out with 8 lanes. Our goal is 14 rounds with one discard spanning both days. No fly-offs, everyone flies all rounds. A normal FAI F5J flight matrix will be used for all pilots without regard for which team a pilot is on. Scores from the top 5 pilots from each team will be combined to determine each team score. The F5J USA Tour scores will be computed as normal without regard for which team a pilot is on.

GliderScore and smartphone scoring: We will use GliderScore and smartphone scoring. Each pilot will enter their own scores. Smartphone scoring also allows pilots to view the overall results in real time. Install a QR Code scanner before you get to the field so you can scan your scorecard. If you do not have a smartphone your timing partner can enter scores for you.

Camping and Lodging: Dry camping is permitted on the field, no hookups. No open campfires. BBQ is okay on your grills. There are many motels and hotels nearby.

Food and Fri BBQ: Subway sandwiches, chips, and water are included in your contest fee for both days. We also hope to have an on-field BBQ on Friday evening. Details will be provided on this when available.

We are looking forward to seeing you at our event!
Last edited by SoaringDude; Sep 14, 2020 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2020, 10:46 PM
Thread OP

The Teams

This is the current lineup for each team, listed in order of signing up:
R = Registered

NORTH - 11 pilots
Chris Bajorek (R)
Dale Olstinske (R)
Jon Carter (R)
Bill Malvey (R)
Mark Browning (R)
Chip Hyde (R)
Bob McGowan (R)
Lou Fox (R)
Skip Miller (R)
Tim Johnson (R)
Dale Thompson (R)

SOUTH - 12 pilots
John Armstrong (R)
Tom Watson (R)
Manny Tau
Josh Freund (R)
Steve Condon (R)
Mike Smith (R)
Darwin Barrie
Robert Burson (R)
Brad Juntunen (R)
Rick Johnston (R)
John Snider (R)
Randy West (R)
Last edited by SoaringDude; Sep 25, 2020 at 08:49 PM.
Sep 12, 2020, 10:51 AM
over it
Sep 12, 2020, 05:14 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
I plan to attend. South for me. I tried to sign up in f3x events. .....
Sep 12, 2020, 06:28 PM
I’m in. South.

Tom
Sep 12, 2020, 06:29 PM
Subliminal User
I'll be signing up for South; looking forward to this. Last year was a blast!
Sep 12, 2020, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
All these South guys--geez! Registration will go live soon.
Sep 12, 2020, 09:49 PM
Team Futaba
Add me to the south list!!
Sep 12, 2020, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Okay Bill, you're in!

Registration is now live at f3xevents.com (thank you Jim Monaco for hosting the registration website).
Sep 12, 2020, 10:59 PM
over it
In! Hope it balances out but I registered South as I'm from Los Angeles so it seemed appropriate
Sep 12, 2020, 11:22 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Lookin like someone’s out numbered
Sep 12, 2020, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
yeah John, looking that way. I see I need to re-explain how it's honorable to join the NORTH team if you live in the south. All it takes is one brave soul to break ranks, then the rest will flood to the NORTH. Just watch!
Sep 14, 2020, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Just saw Steve Condon signed up--another one for the South. Thanks for signing up Steve. Looks like I gotta get on the phone to all those north guys...
Sep 14, 2020, 06:05 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
yeah John, looking that way. I see I need to re-explain how it's honorable to join the NORTH team if you live in the south. All it takes is one brave soul to break ranks, then the rest will flood to the NORTH. Just watch!
Fine. I will switch sides. I am an honorary NORCAL guy any how having actually lived in the REAL northern California (not this silly mid-state stuff calling themselves NORCAL).

So I consent to have my team affiliation officially changed to NORTHERN!!
Sep 14, 2020, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Okay Bill, just this one time The rules in post #1 say once you choose that's it but I have to admit it's in fine print. So welcome to the NORTH. However, I see Mike Smith just signed up for the SOUTH to counter your move. Welcome Mike!

Quick Reply