Sep 10, 2020, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flying in the smoke

You probably know, the west is on fire. Or so it sounds from the news. Well there are a LOT of fires burning. My brother and niece have evacuated. We are on the "good" side of the valley. We just have smoke, lots of smoke.

But I did get out to our field this morning. This is located halfway between the fires in the Cascades and coast range. The smoke came and went for three hours, then I gave up when the field maintenance crew decided conditions were good enough to mow the grass beside the runway.

Here is a shot of the conditions. My plane is white, not cream colored. You could smell the smoke but it wasn't too bad.

At 10:00PM, I've just heard that 10% of the people in Oregon are under an evacuation order.
Last edited by SplashCrash; Sep 11, 2020 at 12:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2020, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
A little bit of an update.

The fire situation is a little better but the smoke is worse, much worse. We are all staying inside because of hazardous air quality. So I'm rebuilding an old airframe.

Here's a current screen capture from our field camera.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:23 PM
Sokol
have you seen the air quality index site ?

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Portlan...OR&country=USA

this bad air thing is keeping me indoors.
Last edited by JureZ; Sep 13, 2020 at 05:08 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:55 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I don't dare to go outside or even open a door or window , gonna have to survive on the oxygen that's already inside my house .

My poor dog is dying to go for a walk , maybe Tuesday or Wednesday if the forecast rain shows up .
Sep 13, 2020, 06:48 PM
awful! praying for you folks, rain and no wind!
Sep 13, 2020, 06:52 PM
I wish you guys all the best out there in the west. No fun at all breathing in all that toxic smoke.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too

Quick Reply