Sep 09, 2020, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New to this RC Hobby - Regarding Massachusetts laws

Hi All,

I am very new to this hobby and I would like to buy a 800mm wing or a med sized plane but regarding laws?? I am from Massachusetts are there any laws regarding flying a plane over that 250g weight? What are some of the typical laws I should be aware of? I did do a quick search here and got a little overwhelmed. If anyone can give a little guidance about this I would appreciate it. Looking at the basic 2.4gHz receiver and maybe going into FPV but not right away.

Thank You
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2020, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ Rob _
Hi All,

I am very new to this hobby and I would like to buy a 800mm wing or a med sized plane but regarding laws?? I am from Massachusetts are there any laws regarding flying a plane over that 250g weight? What are some of the typical laws I should be aware of? I did do a quick search here and got a little overwhelmed. If anyone can give a little guidance about this I would appreciate it. Looking at the basic 2.4gHz receiver and maybe going into FPV but not right away.

Thank You
welcome!
i am a newbie as well. from what i understand, if you're over the limit, you need an ama license. as far as laws are concerned, the first thing is that you need permission to fly anywhere but your own property.
and you can't fly near airports.
if you can find a local club, that's the best thing.

i have been trying to teach myself with a 500mm sport cub with gyro. very easy in beginner mode, not too bad in intermediate after some practice, and impossible in advanced mode (no gyro)

you might want to consider something like the mini apprentice.
Sep 09, 2020, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
Thank You!

Good to know, I guess I need to look into that ama license and clubs too. Yeah the other wing I was looking at did have a gyro for beginner mode made by ZOHD Orbit Neon. I do plan on crashing and taping stuff back together as I learn though because it does look tricky to manage, and I was never a good gamer. Now that I think about it maybe a better buy a cheaper one first.
Sep 19, 2020, 09:05 PM
Electron Whisperer
You need to register with FAA - go to faa.gov for details, only $5. AMA is not a license, it's an organization that provides benefits like a club- Insurance, magazine, national organization that promotes education and safe modeling as well as advocacy for modelers with the FAA - www.modelaircraft.org. Local clubs will require AMA to join as it provides insurance for landowners as well.
Oct 04, 2020, 04:39 PM
FAA requires RC flyers to register with FAA and label their models with FAA registration numbers. Most clubs require members to have membership in AMA to assure they have AMA liability insurance and agree to follow AMA safety groundrules. The AMA is trying to get FAA to drop the idea of requiring models to carry some form of electronic transponder identification device like full scale aircraft. Decisions on the transponder idea are probably going to be a couple of years from now. We don't want to add the weight of a transponder device to our model planes. Try to find a club that welcomes beginners and has a good ground and flight training program.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:14 PM
One way out of the registration requirement if that matters to you is to stay under the 255 gram weight limit with one of the very small foam airplanes like the UMX size that Horizon Hobby sells, or the micro size Tundra that Hobby King just came out with.

The others are correct in that almost all clubs do require AMA membership if for no other reason than the insurance that membership brings with it. There is a page on the AMA site to find the club(s) closest to you and get contact information. AMA membership also comes with an informative monthly magazine, either hard copy or digital. I do tend to drool on the advertisements though....

Quick Reply