Sep 09, 2020, 11:49 AM
v/r "Sub" Ed
Thread OP
Build Log

Rebirth: K.432 Refit 2020-09-09

The younger "Sub" Eddie gets a free refit of his K.432 Soviet ALFA Class w/new MSD250 courtesy of Dad.

I now earned that "World's Best Dad" coffee cup I received years ago.

All that's left is final trim, Sea Trials this weekend, and she's ready to debut at SubFest 2020 in Cohutta GA next weekend (18-20SEP2020).

SPECIFICATIONS:

K.432
Project 705K, LYRA I Class, NATO "ALFA" 1/96 Scale R/C Sub

General
Boat Name: K.432 Hull No: Factory # 106 Scale: 1:96
Keel Laid: 03MAR01 Launched: 08JUL01 Scratch/Kit: Kit
Kit Manufacturer: Scale Shipyard
Dimensions:
Length Over All: 33.75" (857 mm) Draft: 3.25" (83 mm) Beam: 4" (102 mm) Weight: ~6 lbs (2.5 Kg)

Construction: Fiberglass Hull w/Cast Resin & Brass Control Surfaces (Sub Accessories).

Propulsion
Battery(s): 1x GN3 2S 5C/10C 7.4V 3000mAh (22.2WH)
Main Engine(s): 1x MTroniks DS2833 1100Kv Brushless Motor
Transmission: Direct Drive (8,140RPM @ Nom 7.4V NO LOAD)
Propeller(s): One 5 Bladed 1 5/8" RH (Sub Accessories).

Mechanical
Ballast Type: Gas/Low Pressure Blower (LPB) Diaphragm Pump
Hull Fitting(s): Stock 1/16 Brass Pushrods, MSD2.5 from Nautilus Drydocks
Stuffing Box(s): Stock 3/16 SS Shaft, MSD250 from Nautilus Drydocks
Other: Mod 2 Refit 09SEP20 MSD SubDriver - 250 Series

Electronics
Radio: VEX 6 Channel (CH85)
Throttle(s): Makerfire BLHeli-32 32Bit 35A ESC Brushless ESC Dshot1200
Angle Keeper: AD2 (K. McLeod)
Fail Safe(s): BLM, 7s Delay (K. McLeod)
Other: Nav Lights

Conn
Channel 1: Helm
Channel 2: Stern Planes w/AD2 in Series
Channel 3: Throttle
Channel 4: NU
Channel 5: Ballast-Vent/GAS Blow w/Failsafe BLM in Series
Channel 6: Ballast LPB
Other:

Remarks:
This model was won at a raffle during the 1999 Annual SubRegatta in Groton Connecticut. Graciously donated by Lee Upshaw of the Scale Shipyard. I decided to give her to my son as his first RC Submarine Project. Though only 7 at the time, he played an active part in the design, assembly and finishing of the model. He is competing alongside adults at the 2001 Annual SubRegatta in Groton Connecticut. Not only is this his first such competition, but he is the youngest ever at this event at that time.

My reason behind building an ALFA Class (besides winning it!) was that I actually assisted tracking one during one of my patrols at sea. We tracked her for 6 hours. I, as a QM, was the GEOPLOTTER. Instrumental in the Fire Control Tracking party by performing TMA (Target Motion Analysis) with an officer. There is nothing like hearing Sonar yelling "Sierra 17 is classified as a Soviet Alfa Class!". I can still feel the hairs on my neck rise!!

Why the K.432? For those of you who've read Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red October", one of the ALFA submarines mentioned in the book was described as having hit a whale during her sea trials. A bone (jaw?) from the whale was displayed in her Wardroom. She was then subsequently destroyed by an accident onboard involving a valve coming loose and causing a core meltdown. Personally, that miniplot in the book is my favorite part. Of course it was left out of the movie. You can search Google to see how the real K.432 was damaged at sea trials by hitting a whale!

Note: At the time Ed and I built her, little was actually known about the ALFA Class. Though SSY’s above waterline details are fairly close, the reactor coolant scoops as well as stern plane mounted auxiliary motors for slow speed maneuvering were virtually unknown. Of course the propeller isn’t correct either. Also, Ed also decided to go with a grey hull color as opposed to the eponymous black due to an error in a color photo we saw, but it does make the model more visible in a dark pond. We went with green antifouling paint as well. Like I said, details were sketchy during the late 90’s.

So now we euphemistically call her Project 705 LYRA Class, “Scale Shipyard Variant”. What might be an odd color scheme we chalk up to her being assigned to the Soviet Pacific Fleet.

Builders Artistic choice. Maybe one day Ed will do a refit to bring her more inline with the true ALFA.

His choice.
Last edited by Quartermaster; Sep 09, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2020, 06:24 PM
She's a beauty for sure ! Best Dad Mug ??? Nice !!! You are !!! Hope the subfest is awesome and problem free !!! Good sailing sirs !!!
Sep 22, 2020, 08:09 PM
Amateur Radio Station N4GKS
I've seen this sub somewhere before. Oh yeah, last Saturday. Enjoyed meeting you and your son. Hope you had a safe trip back.
Casey
Sep 23, 2020, 03:01 PM
v/r "Sub" Ed
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Fan
I've seen this sub somewhere before. Oh yeah, last Saturday. Enjoyed meeting you and your son. Hope you had a safe trip back.
Casey
Thanks Casey!

It was great to finally meet you after all these years!

Wish I captured Video, it ran like a champ!! The speed of a sports car, and it's maneuverability (no rudder extensions) wasn't half bad considering it's an ALFA.

What I did do was modify the lower rudder by changing it from an "unbalanced rudder" (rudder enclosed in the fwd portion) to a "horn balanced rudder" by removing the tip from the fixed part and fixing it to the moving part like those old style WW1 Planes. Seemed to work fine!

Ed

Quick Reply