Sep 08, 2020, 07:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Experimental EzFly

I have 3 Grand Daughters and 2 airplanes. When I returned to RC I made a SPAD airplane named for GD #1. Now I got into foamies and built my first foamy named for GD #2. When I sent the pictures for them to see, GD #3, the little one, asked Where is my airplane? I knew I was in big trouble and so I build this airplane.

After reviewing several models I settled on the EzFly. It is an Experimental EzFly in that Iím using white styrofoam, not easy to work with. Also foam is all new to me. Iíve been testing glues, finishes and how to cut this foam.

One thing I do is hand draw the plan. Iím making it a little bit larger, moved the wing a bit and made the nose a bit longer. Iím using a table saw, radial arm saw and a hot wire cutter. Cutting this foam with a sharp knife does not work for me.

Iíve had to make adjustments in how I cut. My hot wire cutting was running too hot. I had to cool the wire some. Progress has been good and not too bad. Iíve started assembling the wing. I need a motor before I can continue work on the fuselage. Weight so far is 99 grams with top fuselage cross piece and top fuselage backbone missing.

Here are a few pictures.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2020, 01:45 PM
Cutting foam dulls the blade quickly. Keep a small sharpening stone handy. A few swipes on the stone every few feet of cutting. Very fine sandpaper works, too. Around 600-800 grit.
Sep 12, 2020, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggin'Tail
Cutting foam dulls the blade quickly. Keep a small sharpening stone handy. A few swipes on the stone every few feet of cutting. Very fine sandpaper works, too. Around 600-800 grit.
Thanks. Iíve been practicing cutting on waste foam. Iím getting better at it but I like the hot wire cuts as it seals the foam. Foam beads do not fall off. Iím going to make a jig to hot wire cut the angle cut for hinging control surfaces. I have my wing completed and it is pretty strong. My LHS has very little airplane supplies. So Iíll have to order the motor and ESC for this airplane. This is my second foamy so Iím learning as I go.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Here are some pictures of progress so far. My wing is completed except for the prop slot. I may sand and shape the LE. I used bamboo for the wing spar attached to the KF wing doubler. I also put bamboo in the wing tip slots. Wing should be pretty strong. WS 37Ē at the tips

I made my jig for hot wire cutting 45*. I used junk wood in the shop so I had to fill in some areas. Works Good. I align the foam with the bottom of the top angled wood piece. Clamp in place. I run the wire hot for a fast cut. Then I just slide the jig along the wire. I keep my eye on the wire riding along the bottom wood piece. If the wire rides away from the wood, the foam gets a little deformed cut. You can see that on the left side of the long test piece. Then I cut the rudder and elevator. If I want a thick LE on the surface. I just raise the foam 1/16Ē or ⅛Ē on the jig.

I need a taller and probably larger vertical hot wire cutter. Iíll have to build one someday. I also need to make better clamps for this jig.
Sep 13, 2020, 08:39 PM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETpilot
Iíve had to make adjustments in how I cut. My hot wire cutting was running too hot. I had to cool the wire some. .

a practical way to control the hot wire current is to use a brushed motor ESC and load it with the the hot wire instead of the motor.

You may control it with a servo tester , or if not , add a TX and RX.
Latest blog entry: Ahi, by Dream-Flight
Sep 14, 2020, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
a practical way to control the hot wire current is to use a brushed motor ESC and load it with the the hot wire instead of the motor.

You may control it with a servo tester , or if not , add a TX and RX.
Thanks, Iíve read about using those devices to control the heat. I use a converted computer power supply I made. I control the heat by selecting varias voltages. Then fine tune using a wire resister. I vary the heat by sliding one alligator clip on the resister wire. Pretty simple and works good. Scrap pieces are used to test the heat.
Sep 20, 2020, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
I have not done much with this build. Iíve been waiting on a motor and other supplies. With luck I get those tomorrow then I can continue. I put together what I have to see how she looks. Definitely tail heavy for now. Just a few more parts to cut. This is the Prototype, the next one will be easier. If the granddaughters desire to fly they will have the chance. Only one, so far, shows good interest.

They will have a good playground. For my first few flights I will launch into the tall grass. Hopefully it will help save me if any mishaps occur. Also, hopefully I get more than one test flight. LOL.
Sep 20, 2020, 08:36 AM
Sokol
depending on how tail heavy it is, you could add length ( 2 inches ) to the nose , and sandwich two foam cheeks to the sides to secure this longer nose.
This way it will be easier to balance by moving the battery forward , and adding minimum weight.
Last edited by JureZ; Sep 20, 2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add sketch
Sep 22, 2020, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I still need to cut those fuselage doublers. Plus the fuselage top pieces. I just got my order from fancy foam so I can continue with this build. Iím studying the ESC regarding programming. I may need help here, not sure. Iíve only programmed one ESC when I was learning about electric flight. A few rainy days ahead so will have time to finish soon.
Sep 23, 2020, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Rainy day today so I got some more work done. I tested the motor and ESC. All turned out good. I cut the fuselage doublers then shaped them with the hot wire. Test fit the motor. I made this primitive hot wire knife and plunge cutter to square the cuts for the wing. Will probably use it to cut the prop slot. Wing and fuselage have a tight fit. A little fuselage sanding needed.
Sep 24, 2020, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Almost there. Major construction is over. I just have to attach the VS/Rudder and the fuselage top piece. As it sits CG is 2.5Ē aft of the normal CG. Then on to the electronics and some paint.

It has been a fun build.
Sep 25, 2020, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Well, sheís done. Needs some paint and a name. Then the electronics. Then the biggie, will it fly? Can I fly it? How about itís longevity?

Quick Reply