Apr 14, 2002, 08:13 PM
I got three flights in this evening....

The spoilers REALLY do the trick with landings. My dads plane requires a large glide path. My version with the spoilers will make spot landings a peice of cake.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2002, 05:31 PM
Thread OP

Butterfly, electric power options

Geff,

I am glad to hear your flights went ok.

I have been advised that a good power option would be a speed 600 with a belt driven olympus gear box, so I guess this is the route I will be taking.

A couple of questions:

1) Would you advise me to fit the undercarriage, remember I am a novice, but I do want to become a profficient flyer.

2) Would fitting spoilers help me or is this best left untill I am proficient?
Apr 15, 2002, 06:39 PM
Groundloop World Champion
Jeff,

WOW, I'd say those are spoilers !! How are they actuated ...single servo or ??? Would you say landing in a typical scoccer field is possible (safely) with your setup ??

If I remember, those spoilers are a few $$$....right????
Thanks again for the update and info.

AMA 213751
Apr 15, 2002, 09:25 PM
Kevin,

I am confident that a geared Kyosho Endoplasma Motor mated to a MP Jet Planetary Gearbox would be a real nice system and easy on the budget. I'm not too familiar with the belt drive systems. I guess just about any kind of gearbox would work if you left the fuse stock as it is just a square block up front. Personaly, I like the rounded fuse that comes flush with the spinner.

I would recommend that you ditch all the plywood used in the kit to make the fuse and replace it with balsa. The stock fuse is WAY overbuilt and very heavy for e power. Have you ever built an rc airplane before??

The spoilers are not needed. My dad does just fine without them. He flys his just because he likes to.

For me...I consider them necessary for this plane to be competiitve in limited motor run events. It really helps with spot landings...this is where you try to land the plane on a target. I really do like them...I got about 5 more flights in this late afternoon...landed right on top of the spot 3 out of 5 times. Not too bad for the first day of practice.

Kill the landing gear...not needed...I assume that's what you mean by the undercarriage.

Hey Old Dude,

The spoilers are about $45 or so...worth every penny in my book. There are many less expensive alternatives...I just think these are too cool.

Each spoiler is controled by a Hitec HS 55 servo. Installation is pretty simple. You build the wing panel...when done. Cut out notches in the ribs to accept the spoiler unit. The servo is mounted one servo bay over from the spoilers. They are connected with a Z Bend / Pushrod / Clevis.

Yes...soccer field is all that is needed for flying with this setup.
Apr 19, 2002, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Geff,

Thanks for all the advice, which I will certainly make good use of as I construct the butterfly.

Up to now my rc experience has mainly been in boats and limited flying of gliders.

Stepping up to E powered aircraft is a progression that I have been contemplating for some time, at times I feel as though I am fumbling about in the dark, hence my questions.

Kevin

Quick Reply