Jun 09, 2021, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2do
Forgive me, but that doesn't make sense, there needs to be some way to set the scaling value for the voltage to read the proper voltage. Other wise you could never use a voltage divider, and have AIN2 display/react to the voltage that you intend too? Unless there is suspicion that this is a receiver firmware issue with the R8 Pro? I should get to try a GR8 maybe this weekend, when I get a voltage divider figured out.
I think what you want is a ratio setting to adjust the displayed voltage level so it matches the actual level at the source.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jun 09, 2021 at 06:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2021, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
No, I have not. The main reason for my recommendation is the lack of LUA support as it relates to telemetry back to the radio which the average park flyer or foamie pilot most likely won't need to have.

For an aircraft using a Pixhawk, if you are not using a ground control station (a computer or tablet running Mission Planner), having telemetry back to the radio is critical. When I am flying my Pixhawk quad the only telemetry data I have is Lat/Long and RSSI. I must rely on a timer, or fly until Pixhawk goes into a low battery fail safe which triggers Return To Launch (RTL). Definitely not an ideal situation.

However, when i am flying the 250 racer, I have all of the flight data I need right in my goggles.

Excellent. Iíve transitioned to FrSky just now - so whole new receivers, X20s, escís etc. just received the lot and programmed up 3 planes so far- all pretty much a-ok.

Have 1 issue and think Iíll start again on the model as Iíve tried several receivers, checked and double checked. 1 aileron (dual channels used) stops moving when the stick still has around 10/15% movement left (only on 1 side) have checked calibration etc too. Iím stumped. Sr8pro Rx.

Once itís sorted will do rf tests.

One more question- I purchased a pile of the tiny receivers for redundancy- looks bound and ok how how do I tell for sure? Is there a sep. rf link indicated?

Mike.
Jun 09, 2021, 07:46 AM
Some absolutely non scientific feedback but realworld experience.
I've converted my largest model to the X20. At 4.3m wingspan this DG 800 is the model I fly the farthest away. I use a simple X8R Rx + SBUS board on this one.
I had absolutely no range problems and I am a big fan of the new sliders on the sides to control the spoilers.

Sadly the used FrSky FAS100S is kinda pointlesswithout consumpt calculation still. I know - I keep mentioning the same thing but I want it so badly.

Jun 09, 2021, 07:57 AM
Anyone using APD 120F3 ESC with Frsky receiver? I ask because the ESC has telemetry output if this works fine.
Jun 09, 2021, 08:13 AM
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus157
Anyone using APD 120F3 ESC with Frsky receiver? I ask because the ESC has telemetry output if this works fine.
Haven't tried that one. However, I have tried the Neuron ESC's, which also output a range of very usable telemetry (including current consumption) and works great.
Last edited by d_wheel; Jun 09, 2021 at 08:22 AM.
Jun 09, 2021, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I think what you want is a ratio setting to adjust the displayed voltage level so it matches the actual level at the source.

Mike
Yes precisely, a ratio or scaling factor, just a multiply number, as long as its just a divider in there you shouldn't need an offset, I've only seen OMP telemetry need the offset value in opentx so far and that obviously doesn't apply.
Last edited by 2much2do; Jun 09, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Jun 09, 2021, 08:41 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
2 things to check out -

1) Recalibrate your sticks ( move them slowly and fully)

2) Double check the servos you are using will respond to the servo frame and positioning limits presented. I literally found a few servos that when presented with US positions that were above the expected threshold , the servo reversed direction...a smarter response would be no movement when out of Us band but my money is on a poor calibration - I just had the same experience with my X10S where I could not arm my motor which required 100% down and left on the right stick , but it wasnt seeing the whole travel. Once I recalibrated - perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr
Excellent. I’ve transitioned to FrSky just now - so whole new receivers, X20s, esc’s etc. just received the lot and programmed up 3 planes so far- all pretty much a-ok.

Have 1 issue and think I’ll start again on the model as I’ve tried several receivers, checked and double checked. 1 aileron (dual channels used) stops moving when the stick still has around 10/15% movement left (only on 1 side) have checked calibration etc too. I’m stumped. Sr8pro Rx.

Once it’s sorted will do rf tests.

One more question- I purchased a pile of the tiny receivers for redundancy- looks bound and ok how how do I tell for sure? Is there a sep. rf link indicated?

Mike.
Jun 09, 2021, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandflight
The software is still in development with some features missing and yet to be implemented. It has the making of a great system but still work to be done especially in relation to the telemetry system. The latest update fixed some if the telemetry issues e.g. delayed data from the esc, but still missing the ability to adjust the poles to give you a correct rpm, calculated sensors missing so no consumption sensor, minimum cell voltage don't work etc. Great hardware though and I'm sure these missing features will come shortly.

Thanks for sharing that information.
Jun 09, 2021, 09:15 AM
Quote:
The hardware itself is fine. ETHOS is still being worked on.

I would not recommend using the radio to fly anything very expensive. I'm testing with a small 250mm class FPV racer with an F4 flight controller running Betaflight and a bare bones 600mm class quadcopter with a Pixhawk flight controller running ArduCopter.
Thanks, I will take that into consideration.
Jun 09, 2021, 09:36 AM
Quote:
LUA support will be in the "final release." Exactly when that will happen is anyone's guess.

I use Lua telemetry scrips for my aerial photography aircraft.
LOL "final release" I sure hope not as I am hoping there will be "upgrades" for for ethos for years to come.
Jun 09, 2021, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianda217
To get your models into alphabetic order, you need to re-number the models in a file manager. Also, once a model has been re-numbered, Ethos will no longer allow you to clone it but this can also be overcome by copying and pasting in a file manager.
Thanks for your response - but not sure how to implement it! Could you explain what needs to be done/where the file manager needs to be placed etc? By re-numbering the models, do you mean the Rx number?
Jun 09, 2021, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Release 1.0.9 candidate 3

https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Fee...0.9-candidate3

1. New widget for Timer Logs (see screens below)
2. FLVSS telemetry fixed
3. Translations fixes
4. Text overlap on HORUS in Special Functions
5. Switch Edge option improved

Note: There are no changes to bitmaps or sounds other than French sounds since 1.0.6. Boot loader is the same as 1.0.1.

Flashing X20 ETHOS Firmware Updates

1. While holding Enter down press power on.
2. System displays "Bootloader".
3. Connect system to Windows PC using data USB C cable.
4. System displays "USB Plugged" and two File Explorer drive windows open on PC
5. Copy the ETHOS firmware.bin file to the SD card root. Name must be firmware.bin.
6. Eject both drives.
7. Disconnect USB cable.
8. System displays flash progress bar.
9. When flash complete power system OFF and then ON.

See "How To" video linked at bottom of the ETHOS website https://ethos.frsky-rc.com/

Without using USB connection

1. Remove SD card and copy firmware to the SD card root. Name must be firmware.bin. Install SD card.
2. While holding Enter down press power on.
3. System flashes firmware update.
4. Power system OFF then ON

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Jun 09, 2021 at 11:12 AM.
Jun 09, 2021, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus157
You would need something like an Arduino microcontroller and someone to modify a version of the MSRC open source project to translate from the APD telemetry protocol into the SmartPort protocol. MSRC is used in a similar way to translate Hobbywing and Castle ESC telemetry into SmartPort.

Since the APD protocol is openly published, it is possible that if you kindly asked the creator of MSRC he might add the protocol for you: https://github.com/dgatf/msrc#9-support
Jun 09, 2021, 10:52 AM
I bought a X20, my history with Frsky is not the best. I have had not one, but 3 Horus X10 and they all failed me big time. TX modules failed in all of them...

So here i go again, after a year of flying the TX16s and OpenTX i was expecting Ethos to be easy and that the basic functions was in place. I love OpenTX and my TX16s by the way, it just works.

After turning on my X20 i bind it to a RX in one of my planes and then the problems started. I had set AETR in the X20, but the radio decides to change the channel order from what the rest of the world is using!

I know this can be fixed manually, that is not the point. The thing is why are Ethos trying to change this? The first 4 channels need to be AETR when the wizard is used, end of story.

Jet Flyer Mike are the Ethos boys planning on fixing this or is this something we got to live with?

I know this might be a small thing, for me it is really annoying to say the least...

My general impression of Ethos is that it is not very intuitive even coming from OpenTX witch is not intuitive at all, there is just like OpenTX a lot you need to know to find what we are looking for and there is no real manual for the system so it is a game of google, youtube and hope some one else has done it before you and posted it some where online...

For now i wish it was possible to get OpenTX on the X20, what a Jeti killer it would be!!!

Simon
Jun 09, 2021, 11:30 AM
Just came back from the field flying my Sbach with X20, I only used the 900 mgz no 2.4 I have been flying a few times already , and the X20 works flawlessly,

Also the sbus receiver Slim is going to the AR Smoothflight, never had an airplane fly so smoothly

Quick Reply