Sep 08, 2020, 03:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Yes , many things can be home made .... often out of materials found around the house . For example : control horns can be made out of popsicle sticks , plastic bread bag clasps , or old CD discs . A lot of good information in this thread :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ap-and-or-free
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2020, 06:39 PM
treefinder
Bisco, BoC has you on a good track with two simple planes to get you into foam building and learning to debug and fly your own builds. But, like EflightRay, I suggest you also do a bit of browsing some future builds. It will get or keep your juices flowing and help you determine what types of planes you will mostly like. Try browsing the 600+ planes sticky thread at top of this forum. Just browse through and look at all the types of planes guys have built and flown. There are over700 there now I think. All different types and complexity levels.

On the TX issue, on the one hand, you can use your bnf radio systems for most any simple 3 ch planes you build. (Just be careful, to use full range ones, not "parkflyer " systems. I had a friend swap out a bnf radio to his new foamie, and loose it as a flyaway, once we found it and range tested it, found range was like 500 ft) my 2cents worth is to look at a flysky fs-i6 . For about $20 more than the fs-i4 already mentioned (an ok radio if you weren't sure you really wanted to dive in) you get a true computer radio with multiple memory slots, 6 channels (good for 90% of the planes in the 600+ thread) full range, telemetry capability, and many available receivers in both the original FlySky AFHDS2 protocol and the AFHDS2a (telemetry) protocol. Binds are easy and instant, range is great, connection link rock solid. The least expensive best value around to my mind. Setup is easy for simple planes, so don't worry about electronic complexities.
Last edited by springer; Sep 08, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Sep 08, 2020, 07:30 PM
treefinder
Lots of guys like the snap knives, I prefer an Xacto #11. Sharp point. I keep a pocket sharpening stone on hand and a few swipes refreshes the blade before I use it. Blade lasts for years like this. The round handle is easier for me to control. As others have said use multiple strokes and hold blade at low angle. First stroke cuts the skin (or top paper), second cuts the thickness, third stroke finishes, cuts bottom skin / paper. Even with straight edge, but especially on curves the three cuts give best edge and most precise cuts. Sounds tedious, but goes fast once you get into it. I prefer paper off, lightest weight, bends when I crash vs paper kinks. Boiling water poured over a bent part will "re-inflate" the foam. Hot melt glue is fast, self fixturing and great for the entry planes you are looking at. Once you get into scratchbuilding, try Gorilla Glue white, it is my fave for more complex planes.
Sep 08, 2020, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
The least expensive TX with model memory I know of is this one :

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-..._2_group_0_asc
moderate learning curve .
wow, that's cheap. 'learning curve', that makes me nervous. i'm okay if the directions are okay. i can't color outside the lines.
Sep 08, 2020, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
One potential problem for the first time scratch builder, all the little bits and pieces needed once the basic airframe, the foam and glue bit is done.

e.g. hinges, piano wire, push rods, end links, control horns, all the small screws and bolts, odd short pieces of hard wood and ply, covering material,tape, plasters, antiseptic, bandages etc.

A lot of the bits can be 'hand made' if you have the know, but then you're a first timer ........

It's the things that if you haven't got a local hobby shop to get them from, can end up with load of online purchases. You really want to buy just one washer ?. Also knowing what every thing is called just so you can actually look them up online.

But, remember it's FUN, don't scream and rant when you've just placed an order and then remember you also wanted a .... xyz.

It's fun, it's a hobby.It's something to help you relax

Ray.
i'm in covid lockdown, so anything i can't make myself, i'm at the mercy of online shopping. but the resources here are amazing, and hopefully, i will be able to get what i need.
i like building things, and since we won't be traveling to warmer climes this winter, hopefully, i will enjoy building planes. i have built a few balsa kits in the past, but they came with all the parts.
Sep 08, 2020, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Lots of guys like the snap knives, I prefer an Xacto #11. Sharp point. I keep a pocket sharpening stone on hand and a few swipes refreshes the blade before I use it. Blade lasts for years like this. The round handle is easier for me to control. As others have said use multiple strokes and hold blade at low angle. First stroke cuts the skin (or top paper), second cuts the thickness, third stroke finishes, cuts bottom skin / paper. Even with straight edge, but especially on curves the three cuts give best edge and most precise cuts. Sounds tedious, but goes fast once you get into it. I prefer paper off, lightest weight, bends when I crash vs paper kinks. Boiling water poured over a bent part will "re-inflate" the foam. Hot melt glue is fast, self fixturing and great for the entry planes you are looking at. Once you get into scratchbuilding, try Gorilla Glue white, it is my fave for more complex planes.
thanks, i appreciate all the advice and ideas. when i get down to it, i will review all these posts. i was looking at flysky on amazon, and they even have recievers with gyros. prices seem very good.
Last edited by bisco; Oct 13, 2020 at 03:46 PM.
Sep 08, 2020, 08:24 PM
treefinder
FlySky is the best bang for one's buck as far as I'm concerned. I should add that the hobbyking turnigy i6 is a re badged Flysky i6, so whichever site gives best price and shipping . . . I use banggood.com more than hobbyking nowadays, although since Covid their shipping times have doubled from 14 days to as much as 2 months. If you can find stuff from US warehouse shipping is typically week or less.
Sep 08, 2020, 08:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
wow, that's cheap. 'learning curve', that makes me nervous. i'm okay if the directions are okay. i can't color outside the lines.
FYI : Many of the Turnigy radios are identical to and manufactured by FlySky , and re-branded by HobbyKing as "Turnigy " .

Several of my flying buddies use FlySky/Turnigy radios , never any problems .
Sep 08, 2020, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
...For example : control horns can be made out of popsicle sticks , plastic bread bag clasps , or old CD discs ....
...old credit cards, and such.
A plastic card, cut to a suitable width can be great for spreading glue, other than hot glue.
Sep 09, 2020, 09:01 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
...old credit cards, and such.
A plastic card, cut to a suitable width can be great for spreading glue, other than hot glue.
Yeah! Save all those old cards, great for many uses. I was always tempted to send a thankyou note to American Express for the clear plastic fake cards they used to send out. Cards made great control horns, and paper was good fire starter. I developed a technique to cut two horns from a 1" square piece of card. Took about a minute to do. Used that #11 Xacto to "drill" the rod holes. I guess I should make a short vid, vs try to explain. Of course now I 3d print my horns (yeah, I know, $150 machine to print $.10 parts, but all part of the hobby).
Sep 09, 2020, 09:11 AM
treefinder
Bisco, don't worry about the i6 learning curve. It is pretty intuitive, and we can easily help with screen print pics if you get hung up. The i6 is a surprisingly versatile radio, but for simple planes the setup is straightforward. For a later time when you get bored with only 6 channels, qba667 (rcg member here) has "enhanced" the firmware, and got 14 channels, timer, expanded telemetry and more model memory slots. Flashing the new firmware is easy. You dont need this now, but nice to know it is out there.

I should note in a general comment that FlySky after purchase OEM support is basically nil (as opposed to big companies like Spektrum, Futaba, etc where you can send them in for service). But in my experience (and many others) I have never needed to send any of mine in, they just work. Plus at the price, you can buy a second radio for less total outlay than a single equivalent big name radio (and have one for spare parts!)
Sep 09, 2020, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
55 bucks on amazon, how can you go wrong?
Sep 09, 2020, 02:52 PM
treefinder
$42 @ banggood, but delivery times iffy, although if amazon comes from China too may be no difference. Just make sure you get mode2 version (left stick throttle).
Sep 09, 2020, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
8 day delivery, comes with receiver, doesn't say what mode
Sep 09, 2020, 03:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
8 day delivery, comes with receiver, doesn't say what mode
Sometimes they put it in the title "M2" .

Quick Reply