Sep 07, 2020, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
decisions, decisions...

a lot to think about, thank you. in the meantime, i'll get an order in for the electronics. i can always get the 4-6 channel tx you linked for $25.-30., and a spectrum down the road if i go that route.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2020, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
foam cutting knife: simple retractible blade box cutter?
Sep 07, 2020, 08:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
decisions, decisions...

a lot to think about, thank you. in the meantime, i'll get an order in for the electronics. i can always get the 4-6 channel tx you linked for $25.-30., and a spectrum down the road if i go that route.
Nothing wrong with eventually having two transmitters , if one fails for some reason .... you'll have the other one for back up .
Or pass it on to a friend , neighbor , kid or grandkid who may be interested in flying RC .
Sep 07, 2020, 08:03 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
As long as the blade is very sharp . A dull blade will tear the foam .
Sep 07, 2020, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
easy enough, i have a pack of 100
Sep 07, 2020, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Nothing wrong with eventually having two transmitters , if one fails for some reason .... you'll have the other one for back up .
Or pass it on to a friend , neighbor , kid or grandkid who may be interested in flying RC .
sounds like a plan. any reason to get the 6 over the 4? will i need 5 or 6 channels in any of my scenario's?

anything else on the 6 that would be helpful?
Sep 07, 2020, 09:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
sounds like a plan. any reason to get the 6 over the 4? will i need 5 or 6 channels in any of my scenario's?

anything else on the 6 that would be helpful?
A 4 channel TX will fly a basic plane with throttle , rudder , elevator and ailerons .

A 6 channel TX will fly a plane with throttle , rudder , elevator and ailerons ...... and have two extra channels for things like flaps , retractable landing gear , etc .

The three simple planes I listed above ( Super Easy , NutBall & Smart Dart XS ) are all 3 channel , and do not need a TX with more than 4 channels .

I have always preferred simple planes , the only time I have ever personally used more than 4 channels is :
1) on a plane where I mixed flaperons ( ailerons that also function as flaps ) .
2) on a plane where I used a 5th channel for LED lights that could change color & flashing pattern .
Sep 07, 2020, 09:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
One nice feature of the 4 channel TX from Value Hobby is : it has servo reversing switches right on its face .
Sep 08, 2020, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
if you can get that for $25., can you get something with model memory for a hundred or so?
Sep 08, 2020, 12:36 PM
Quote:
That will work as long as you make sure to use a sharp blade on foam. And even then, cut gently, ensuring that you are "slicing" the foam, not crushing it. Two gentle passes is often much better than one forceful cut.

I'd get a bigger one and a small one. A wide blade can increase stability for long straight cuts but may get cumbersome for curves and tight areas.
Sep 08, 2020, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
thanks! where are these knives available?
Sep 08, 2020, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
cutting mat, glue gun and extra glue on the way!
Sep 08, 2020, 01:30 PM
Quote:
thanks! where are these knives available?
Hardware store, crafts store.

A while ago, looking for something else at a hardware store, I remembered that I needed a new small knife. There were several 9mm knives there, and I picked one that didn't look too bulky and had the possibility to lock the blade in position.
Sep 08, 2020, 02:54 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
if you can get that for $25., can you get something with model memory for a hundred or so?
The least expensive TX with model memory I know of is this one :

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-..._2_group_0_asc
moderate learning curve .
Sep 08, 2020, 03:16 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
One potential problem for the first time scratch builder, all the little bits and pieces needed once the basic airframe, the foam and glue bit is done.

e.g. hinges, piano wire, push rods, end links, control horns, all the small screws and bolts, odd short pieces of hard wood and ply, covering material,tape, plasters, antiseptic, bandages etc.

A lot of the bits can be 'hand made' if you have the know, but then you're a first timer ........

It's the things that if you haven't got a local hobby shop to get them from, can end up with load of online purchases. You really want to buy just one washer ?. Also knowing what every thing is called just so you can actually look them up online.

But, remember it's FUN, don't scream and rant when you've just placed an order and then remember you also wanted a .... xyz.

It's fun, it's a hobby.It's something to help you relax

Ray.

Quick Reply