Sep 30, 2020, 11:18 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco
the new battery charger is complicated. or should i say versatile?

trying to understand the instructions: plug the battery in and plug the other plug into the correct jack for the number of cells.
plug the charger into the wall, and select lipo.
charging begins automatically? wait for it to finish?

is there more to it for charging a battery?
After selecting all the correct info for the battery you will be charging , you long press the start button to begin the charging . When the battery is fully charged it will beep and tell you on the screen , then press the stop button .

Probably the only two functions you will be using are lipo charging , and lipo storage . Don't use the discharge function , because that will completely discharge the battery .... which should only be done to prepare a battery for disposal .

Charge a lipo battery just prior to use , and if you end up not using the battery ( flying cancelled due to rain , etc ) ..... use the storage function to reduce the voltage to storage level .

A fully charged lipo battery is 4.2v per cell , storage level is 3.8v per cell . The number of cells are indicated : 1S , 2S , 3S , 4S , etc . The "S" stands for "Series" , since the cells are connected in series ( not Parallel ) . Some batteries indicate "1P" for "Parallel" .
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2020, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
Same mAh, S, and C don't guarantee that size and weight are quite the same. Weight will probably be pretty close but some packs are narrow and long, or wide and short.

S is important because it tells you the pack voltage.
mAh is how much water you have in the bucket
C tells you how fast the water can flow out of the bucket.
thanks!
so how do i get the same size, are there usually measurements?
Sep 30, 2020, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
After selecting all the correct info for the battery you will be charging , you long press the start button to begin the charging . When the battery is fully charged it will beep and tell you on the screen , then press the stop button .

Probably the only two functions you will be using are lipo charging , and lipo storage . Don't use the discharge function , because that will completely discharge the battery .... which should only be done to prepare a battery for disposal .

Charge a lipo battery just prior to use , and if you end up not using the battery ( flying cancelled due to rain , etc ) ..... use the storage function to reduce the voltage to storage level .

A fully charged lipo battery is 4.2v per cell , storage level is 3.8v per cell . The number of cells are indicated : 1S , 2S , 3S , 4S , etc . The "S" stands for "Series" , since the cells are connected in series ( not Parallel ) . Some batteries indicate "1P" for "Parallel" .
thanks!
do i have to watch it, or can i leave it connected for awhile after it stops charging?

how do i measure cell voltage, or is it just division of total?
Sep 30, 2020, 12:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
thanks!
do i have to watch it, or can i leave it connected for awhile after it stops charging?

how do i measure cell voltage, or is it just division of total?
It's always recommended to be present when charging lipos .

You can get a lipo cell checker , it will tell you the total voltage of the battery ..... and also the voltage of each individual cell . This is the one I use :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6s-hobby...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also get one from Amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/GTP1007-GT-Po...485916&sr=8-16
Sep 30, 2020, 12:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
thanks!
so how do i get the same size, are there usually measurements?
Most online sellers will list specs for lipo batteries , including dimensions and weight .
Sep 30, 2020, 01:45 PM
If anything goes wrong with a LiPo, results can be spectacular. You don't want that. When a pack is charging, it is best to remain nearby.

Charging is one of the times when incidents are more likely to happen. Discharging too fast is another. If a LiPo gets hot for any reason, it is at risk of catching fire. Mostly, nothing unpleasant happens with LiPos but you should baby them a bit. You most definitely do not want to short a pack, unless you WANT it to burn.

------------------
Some chargers will show you the voltages of the individual cells.
Sep 30, 2020, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It's always recommended to be present when charging lipos .

You can get a lipo cell checker , it will tell you the total voltage of the battery ..... and also the voltage of each individual cell . This is the one I use :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6s-hobby...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also get one from Amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/GTP1007-GT-Po...485916&sr=8-16
thanks, i'll get it with the 4 aa battery holder
Sep 30, 2020, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
If anything goes wrong with a LiPo, results can be spectacular. You don't want that. When a pack is charging, it is best to remain nearby.

Charging is one of the times when incidents are more likely to happen. Discharging too fast is another. If a LiPo gets hot for any reason, it is at risk of catching fire. Mostly, nothing unpleasant happens with LiPos but you should baby them a bit. You most definitely do not want to short a pack, unless you WANT it to burn.

------------------
Some chargers will show you the voltages of the individual cells.
thanks,
i meant nearby. i just don't want to stare at it forever
Sep 30, 2020, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Most online sellers will list specs for lipo batteries , including dimensions and weight .
great. i'll look at hobby king again, and compare to the 2 i bought from value hobby
Sep 30, 2020, 03:57 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
great. i'll look at hobby king again, and compare to the 2 i bought from value hobby
Are you referring to the 2200mAh 3S batteries for your AeroScout ? The Value Hobby batteries are slightly shorter and slightly heavier than the recommended Spektrum batteries , shouldn't make a noticeable difference when flying .
Sep 30, 2020, 05:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
A few tips when you order from HobbyKing :

Make your entire order from one warehouse . The USA warehouse is in Portland , so shipping doesn't take too long .

Make sure every item you order is in stock at the warehouse you are ordering from . If you order even one out-of-stock item , it will delay your entire order .

Pay only with Paypal , other payment methods take days to process .
Sep 30, 2020, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
thanks!

hinge mock up went well, i'll post a vid tomorrow for criticism
Sep 30, 2020, 08:58 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
thanks!

hinge mock up went well, i'll post a vid tomorrow for criticism
Excellent !
Oct 01, 2020, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
having trouble loading the video. i feel like it's my internet connection
Oct 01, 2020, 03:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
having trouble loading the video. i feel like it's my internet connection
To show a video in a post :

upload the video to YouTube .

play the video on YouTube .

while the video is playing , copy the URL web address .

paste the URL into the text box of your RC Groups post .

Quick Reply