Jan 20, 2022, 03:36 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Looking really good.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2022, 05:58 PM
Thread OP

Burn Out!

The majority of this model has been framed up and ready for final sanding. However, I am approaching "burn out" on this build . I need to take a break and work on something else that is not so challenging for a while.

Like Arnold Schwarzenegger said, "I'll be back".

-Vic
Jan 21, 2022, 09:53 PM
Really?!?
Wow! Sorry I missed all this Vic. But, as I said in my PM, I have not been modelling much the last few years.
You DO seem to have more refined plans that mine were. And I did not have any laser cut parts, I hand cut each one! That job really sucked, but every so often...
By the way, most of those pics you found in the magazine article are actually of my build! I provided them to the guy that wrote the article. I never even got a copy of that mag as it is not available here!
I think when all is done and you maiden the plane, you'll be amazed at how docile and forgiving it is. I know I had serious misgivings about the Frise ailerons, but they work the same as any other aileron in practise. And that landing gear is amazing at absorbing the bumps of a grass field.
Chris
Jan 22, 2022, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Chris, thanks for the info and flying tips. I will not install the big flap - too much work for unnecessary scale detail. As for flying, I have heard it flies like a box kite so I will not fly it unless it is a calm day. After modifying the lower wing into a 3-piece wing, I am going to keep the upper wing in one piece although it will be cumbersome to transport.
Thanks again for the info.
-Vic
Jan 24, 2022, 05:55 PM
Thread OP

Motor Cooling

Yet another "scratch-your-head" situation in the model design. I was just looking over the engine nacelles and cowling and notice that there is a large hole in the nose block to serve as a cooling air inlet. However, I do not see any way for the air to get out, therefore the "flow of cooling air is essentially blocked" once the cowl is installed.

Can someone tell me the flowpath for "cooling air flow" ? Please don't tell me sufficient cooling is provided by the turbulent air inside the cowl during flight.
-Vic
Jan 24, 2022, 09:38 PM
Flying Models Plans
Vic,

I've just spent some time looking at prototype photos, and it seems that turbulent air in the cowl may well be the strategy.

In all seriousness, it looks as if the upper cowl sits a bit above the wing and provides a gap for air to escape that is visible in the images below.

There are also numerous other gaps, such as around the exhaust, and a fair amount of space around the wheel. I don't know what the structure looks like inside the nacelle, so not all of those areas may actually exit hot air.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3865/1...525e13fb_b.jpg
https://cdn.airplane-pictures.net/im...27/1149697.jpg
Last edited by Thayer; Jan 24, 2022 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added second image link
Jan 25, 2022, 02:57 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Great photos, and a good exit for cooling air. But what's going on at the TE just outboard of the struts?
Jan 25, 2022, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
Great photos, and a good exit for cooling air. But what's going on at the TE just outboard of the struts?
Mike, there is a step down in the contour of the bottom wing just outboard of the inboard strut. I don't know why it is there, but it is part of the design of the full-scale wing.
-Vic

Update: I have been informed that the thicker section of the bottom wing is to accommodate fuel tanks.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 25, 2022 at 11:22 AM.
Jan 25, 2022, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Vic,
I've just spent some time looking at prototype photos, and it seems that turbulent air in the cowl may well be the strategy.
In all seriousness, it looks as if the upper cowl sits a bit above the wing and provides a gap for air to escape that is visible in the images below.
There are also numerous other gaps, such as around the exhaust, and a fair amount of space around the wheel. I don't know what the structure looks like inside the nacelle, so not all of those areas may actually exit hot air.
Thanks, Thayer, for the reply and the photos. Your photos show exhaust air exits on the full-scale plane. However, all of these exits are blocked in the design of the model. Therefore, all of the air packed in through the inlet hole in the nose block has no place to exit.

I may just leave off the cowl rear cover (purple) from the cowl to the top of the wing. It is just a cosmetic addition on the model.
-Vic

NOTE: The planned scale-like flying style for this model will not require full power from the motors, so they may not overheat with good throttle management.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 25, 2022 at 08:42 AM.
Jan 25, 2022, 10:05 AM
Iflyrc_vic,

That inboard end of the lower wing which is thicker in airfoil section are fuel tanks.

Dan
Jan 25, 2022, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrat
Iflyrc_vic,
That inboard end of the lower wing which is thicker in airfoil section are fuel tanks.
Dan
Thanks for the info.
-Vic
Jan 25, 2022, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
I have another plane on the way. It may push the DH90 off the work bench to allow work to proceed on the new project. The DH90 has presented many challenges which have started to become a PITA. I have to force myself to work on it every day I come to my shop. There is a lot more work required to finish this model and my interest to finish it is diminishing.
-Vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 25, 2022 at 02:13 PM.
Jan 25, 2022, 05:37 PM
It's coming along nicely but I understand what you're feeling. Been there myself more than once. Sometimes it helps to put a project aside for a while until suddenly you're ready to tackle it again.
Jan 26, 2022, 03:20 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
I'm very sorry to hear that Vic. Yes, put it aside for a while then finish it in a flash!
Jan 28, 2022, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
I have another plane on the way. It may push the DH90 off the work bench to allow work to proceed on the new project. The DH90 has presented many challenges which have started to become a PITA. I have to force myself to work on it every day I come to my shop. There is a lot more work required to finish this model and my interest to finish it is diminishing.
-Vic
Vic,

I understand your frustration with the DH90. The plans leave a lot of things to the builders discretion which was typical before CAD drawing and advances in technology for building model aircraft.

I think taking a break is a good course of action and has been said when you come back to it things should move right along. I'll be looking forward to watching your completion of the build.

For me, the DH90 build has taken considerably more time than I thought it would. I have only built a few models and have learned from each of them and this one has definitely given me some new insight and building skills. I will post my progress this weekend.

Take care.

John

Quick Reply