Sep 07, 2020, 03:43 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here's another take ...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71&postcount=3
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2020, 10:25 AM
treefinder
Hey pooka, you can find 1/8" ply pieces in craft stores and even dollar tree stores (often pre cut to other shapes - just make sure it is bigger than you need). Then make the motor mount plate from that and glue to the tail (oops, should say in the front of slot!) where the three foam parts come together. Servo screws make great motor mount screws. Hot glue the servos in place; frees up the screws for other uses!
Sep 12, 2020, 09:30 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Iím still trying to get a motor mount that I can live with
It wonít let me load a video of the controls working.
Sep 12, 2020, 10:00 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Iíve epoxied in a stainless steel bracket. I suspect it will be too heavy but since this is a first scratch built for me, Iím trying to work with what Iíve got
Sep 12, 2020, 10:54 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
The receiver and ESC are taped on. Velcro strip for the pack . I think this thing is going to be way too heavy but when the rain stops, Iíll try to fly it.
Sep 12, 2020, 12:58 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
Iím still trying to get a motor mount that I can live with
It wonít let me load a video of the controls working.

Iíve epoxied in a stainless steel bracket. I suspect it will be too heavy but since this is a first scratch built for me, Iím trying to work with what Iíve got

The receiver and ESC are taped on. Velcro strip for the pack . I think this thing is going to be way too heavy but when the rain stops, Iíll try to fly it.
It will fly , but the weight will increase the minimum stall speed ( slowest speed a plane can fly and not stall ) ..... so it will be forced to fly fast . Be sure to start with the elevators trimmed up about 1/4" ( reflex ) , that will keep the nose slightly up ..... like water skis on water .

Do you have a smaller/lighter motor ?

The easiest way to show a video is : upload the video to YouTube , then copy/paste the URL web address for the video's YouTube page to the text box of your post .

I see a few minor problems in your photos , I'll address them in the screenshots below .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 12, 2020 at 04:02 PM.
Sep 12, 2020, 08:08 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Thanks for the critique
Sep 13, 2020, 05:59 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
It will fly , but the weight will increase the minimum stall speed ( slowest speed a plane can fly and not stall ) ..... so it will be forced to fly fast . Be sure to start with the elevators trimmed up about 1/4" ( reflex ) , that will keep the nose slightly up ..... like water skis on water .

Do you have a smaller/lighter motor ?

The easiest way to show a video is : upload the video to YouTube , then copy/paste the URL web address for the video's YouTube page to the text box of your post .

I see a few minor problems in your photos , I'll address them in the screenshots below .
The only smaller motor in my parts box is a brushed motor from a super cub
Sep 13, 2020, 10:35 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
The weather cleared up this morning so I made a feeble attempt. My fear that it was overpowered led me to be to gentle with the throttle so it never straightened up.
Hot glue is not holding components like the servos. A gentle landing dislodged a few items. I'll need to go back and epoxy stuff.
I have a new ARF arriving today and the weather prediction is outstanding this week so this might sit on the project table for awhile.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:08 PM
Are the servos supposed to be just stuck to the flat surface on this design?

Everything that I've built has had a box, or a hole through the surface, for servos.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:17 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Good point
Sep 13, 2020, 02:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
The weather cleared up this morning so I made a feeble attempt. My fear that it was overpowered led me to be to gentle with the throttle so it never straightened up.
Hot glue is not holding components like the servos. A gentle landing dislodged a few items. I'll need to go back and epoxy stuff.
I have a new ARF arriving today and the weather prediction is outstanding this week so this might sit on the project table for awhile.
Another way to deal with overpowered is to use a smaller prop .

If you scratch build with "paper on" Dollar Tree foam board again : Whatever you glue to the surface is only glued to the paper , and the paper bond to the foam interior is rather weak . If you can imbed the components into the foam board , that's best . For example : when mounting servos to foam board , you can cut a rectangular hole that the servo will fit into . It's best to start with a too-small hole and enlarge it , than to have a too-large hole that the servo can move around in (sloppy) . You want the servo to fit very snugly .

Other components ( like motor mount L brackets ) can be more securely mounted by having a backing plate on the opposite side of the foam board , like the control horn in the photo below . A backing plate can be : popsicle sticks , thin hobby plywood , plastic gift card , plastic cut from gallon milk jug , etc .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 13, 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Sep 13, 2020, 03:22 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quick and functional way to attach components to foam board is to use double stick tape to attach to the paper, and then a needle and dental floss to lash them down. The cord goes all the way through the board, so lifting the paper is no longer an issue. And the double stick tape keeps them from sliding around under the lashings. Stands up to combat.
Sep 13, 2020, 04:49 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Just curious , which ARF did you get ?

A very good ARF/kit you can get that would probably work with the electronics you have is the Slow Stick :
https://www.gravesrc.com/gws-slowstick-nps-red.html
or
https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick.html
A Slow Stick may work with your Super Cub brushed motor .

If you get a Slow Stick , secure the servo tray so it can't move on the fuselage stick ..... or the rudder/elevator will go out of trim from bumpy landings .
Sep 13, 2020, 04:54 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
A Bighorn from OMP.
https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products...32392684437578

Quick Reply