Sep 04, 2020, 04:03 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Discussion

Where do I start?

I have a box with servos, motors, esc's, wheels, wires, rx's etc that I have salvaged from BNF airplanes that I have destroyed. I'm interested in the foam board airplanes and have a few sheets of dollar tree board.
So where do I begin? What is the easiest build?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2020, 05:03 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
I have a box with servos, motors, esc's, wheels, wires, rx's etc that I have salvaged from BNF airplanes that I have destroyed. I'm interested in the foam board airplanes and have a few sheets of dollar tree board.
So where do I begin? What is the easiest build?
How much experience do you have flying an RC airplane ? Can you fly a plane that doesn't self-level ?
Sep 04, 2020, 06:06 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
I can, not on real windy days. I’m looking for an easy 3 channel build to start.
Sep 04, 2020, 06:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I can, not on real windy days. Iím looking for an easy 3 channel build to start.
The simplest easiest 3 channel RET ( Rudder Elevator Throttle ) plane I know of is the Super Easy , which looks like a big paper airplane and can be built without downloading/printing plans . Here is my Super Easy , flown by my son in this video :

Super Easy RC airplane (1 min 25 sec)

The second simplest/easiest 3 channel RET plane I know of is the NutBall , can also be built without downloading/printing plans . Here is my NutBall flying :

26" Nutball RC plane (1 min 49 sec)

The third simplest/easiest 3 channel RET plane I know of is the Smart Dart XS , can be built without downloading/printing plans . Here is my Smart Dart XS :

40" RC Dart (1 min 31 sec)

If you want to build any of those planes , I'll be happy to show you how .
Sep 04, 2020, 06:45 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
They all sound good. I think the Super Easy would be a good one to start with but suspect the 40” dart would work better with my 3S 1800 batteries
Sep 04, 2020, 07:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
They all sound good. I think the Super Easy would be a good one to start with but suspect the 40Ē dart would work better with my 3S 1800 batteries
The Super Easy can accept a variety of different size motors and batteries . Here is my Super Easy with a 400 watt motor and a 2200mAh 3S battery :

Super Easy VTO (1 min 4 sec)
Sep 04, 2020, 07:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
They all sound good. I think the Super Easy would be a good one to start with but suspect the 40Ē dart would work better with my 3S 1800 batteries
The NutBall can also easily be made in a larger size to accept larger/heavier batteries .
Sep 04, 2020, 08:04 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
Ok , let’s start with the Super Easy.I’ve got grandsons visiting tomorrow and we will have time to build one.
Sep 05, 2020, 10:15 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
I'm coming along. Not sure how to mount a motor here. I have a 480 that I got out of a Valiant. Too big? 480 BL Outrunner Motor; b960Kv (PKZ4416)

I found your original build thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...E-instructions very informative.
Sep 05, 2020, 11:56 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I'm coming along. Not sure how to mount a motor here. I have a 480 that I got out of a Valiant. Too big? 480 BL Outrunner Motor; b960Kv (PKZ4416)

I found your original build thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...E-instructions very informative.
What type of motor mount does your 480 have ? If it is a firewall type mount , you can mount it to an L bracket .... store-bought or home-made . Attach it to the top of the plane just in front of the prop slot , so the prop is straight and centered in the prop slot .
Sep 05, 2020, 04:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
When you finish your SE , I'd love to see some photos and a flying video if possible !
Sep 05, 2020, 04:55 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Thread OP
I think it will take me a few days to come up with a mounting bracket. Holiday weekend now
Sep 07, 2020, 02:27 PM
where do i get some cheap electronics but not to cheap
Sep 07, 2020, 03:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by superredeyes
where do i get some cheap electronics but not to cheap
Value hobby :
http://www.valuehobby.com/

Quick Reply