Apr 29, 2021, 01:38 AM
If it flies - I want one!

Flaps done

Warren Truss - wasn't he the bloke with the hernia?
Anyway, the flaps are structurally complete, moving on to the outer panels.
Cheers,
Pete
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2021, 03:22 AM

Outer panels

Still here, and puddling along while life flows around the project. I keep reminding myself that I wanted a substantial winter building project.
The port panel is done, checked for good fit on the centre section. Starboard panel on the board and ready for the false leading edge, then top sheeting.
Have run into a few challenges, mostly of my own making. Best one was miscounting the provided sheets of 1.5mm balsa for the leading edge sheeting, and convincing myself that they had to be cut precisely to provide top and bottom panels. If you cut them very carefully at a taper, the two pieces are almost big enough to fit!
A later (after cutting!) re-count confirmed that there were six sheets provided, and plenty to do the job with room to spare!
The getting of wisdom was ever an expensive process.
Cheers,
Pete
May 20, 2021, 04:10 AM
Got to Love a jig....
Looking good peter....
May 29, 2021, 01:21 AM
Those wing tips look amazing Pete.....
Some good has come out of our lockdown then.....
Jun 02, 2021, 12:08 AM

A couple of good tips...

The tips look as if they would make a nice wing for a small chuck glider. Fits were excellent for the rib intersections and to the outer frame. That just about completes the basic structure, so heading out with masking tape and camera for the obligatory full framework pics.
Jun 02, 2021, 12:15 AM
They are a work of art..... have you another week of enforced building Pete or are you outside the LD zone?
Jun 02, 2021, 12:18 AM

Bringing it together - roughly

Well that is the woodwork pretty much done. I think this stage of the project is known as '90% complete, 90% to go'.
The next phase is planing and then sanding off all the bits that do not look like a graceful soarer.
Expect extensive delay before we have anything more worth looking at.
Oh, airframe weight, with the bag of small bits, is 793gm, with around 500gm of gear to go in. Not sure what the covering will add, or what my planing and sanding will remove, but an AUW of around 1350 seems within reach?
Cheers,
Pete
Jun 02, 2021, 12:19 AM
Sorry Michael, I must have been typing while you posted.
Have not checked the news, but will assume we are locked down as part of Met Melbourne.
Build on!
Pete
Jun 02, 2021, 12:42 AM
Looks good Pete.... very nice indeed.
Yes at least another week of home schooling when I'm not being a carpenter....
Early summer on a nice day I'd like to drive over to see it fly....
Jun 02, 2021, 01:58 AM
Sounds like a great idea and the timing also sounds close! Bring the Sungrazer.
Jun 02, 2021, 02:06 AM
Definitely will bring the Grazer for a fun fly.....
Jun 05, 2021, 10:20 PM

Starting with the razor plane

Shaping has begun, with a lot of excess material to remove before we see the final shape emerge ready for covering.
My usual system is to go as far as practicable with the razor plane (less mess, no dust, quick and reasonably precise) then go to sanding for final shape and finish.
Have not touched the fuselage yet - the front end with its mixed ply and balsa will be a bit of a challenge.
I don't think the razor plane will be much use, so either a lot of hard sanding, or perhaps a brute force approach starting with the band-saw, power planer or power sander. Still dithering.
We will get there.
Pete
Jun 07, 2021, 09:25 AM
Not Insane
My razor plane hated the balsa so I wound up using a random orbital sander on the fuse front. I could control the rate of removal with the disk coarseness and sander speed. I wore a mask and sanded outside. The power plane was way too scary and once removed, there was no going back (unless you can find a "Dremel" sized power plane). The laser circle on the nose was a great aid to sanding the nose round.

Dan
Last edited by dogbreath; Jun 07, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Jun 07, 2021, 09:52 AM
Not Insane
As long as i'm here, let me ask you all about....

My motor is the recommended one, and the spinner setup uses a tapered conical grip. The hub is an Aeronaut 38/5 with a 42/8 yoke. In the garage early on, the spinner would fly off of the motor shaft (and shatter the prop on the wall ) with a 12 x 5 prop. At launch the "fly off" happened as well, so I was launching at half power and adding throttle after the initial climb started. I've tried roughening the motor shaft, and finally just limited motor speed to 80 percent using servo endpoints. It may just be a case of the two parts' tolerances being at the opposite ends of OK, but is there a handy way to ensure I can get full power and keep the prop on?

thanks, Dan

Quick Reply