Mar 18, 2021, 09:58 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Thanks Dan and Michael, enough ideas there to ease my concerns - those tail surfaces just looked ugly-thick at first sight.
Fin and rudder going together at the moment - no issues, fits good.
A sanding we will go.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2021, 10:55 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
....................... - those tail surfaces just looked ugly-thick at first sight.
Just how thick are the framing sticks?
Mar 19, 2021, 12:03 AM
6mm.
Mar 19, 2021, 12:35 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
6mm.
Ok.
Then there is not much scope for shaping.
Mar 19, 2021, 05:25 AM
SMV
SMV
I too rounded the leading edges to a slightly parabolic profile. I also tapered the rear 2 cms of the rudder and elevator to c. 2mm. Not too thin, I know, but I did not want to weaken these long, crucial moving pieces too much. Then again, I guess that the right 'degree of tapering' depends on the particular strength of the balsa pieces in your kit and the strength of the covering material (and on how tight you shrink it). In my case, I have noticed no negative impact of the relatively thick rear edges on the flight of the plane: it flies very well. (But, then again, what can I compare it to? I would have to build and mount another rudder and elevator with thinner edges to make a proper assessmentů).
Mar 19, 2021, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jim & Salva, all agreed and that is the way I will go - a nice curve at the leading edge, and moving surfaces gently tapered to around 2mm thick.
Setting aside all shaping at the moment while I contemplate the wing build.
Mar 20, 2021, 07:08 AM
Not Insane
My kit was likely laser cut in the summer, and I built it in the winter. Humidity changes made many of my larger/longer pieces develop warps--balsa,, ply, and pine. This gave the tail section of the fuselage a "spiral" shape that had to be taken out by wetting the assembly and using weight to get it straight. It took a lot of fiddling, but I got the curves out.

A very flat building board and lots of weights and pins was necessary for me to build straight wings. Also pay attention to any warp in the pine pieces, as you may want to build the top and bottom with opposite bend to ensure a flat wing. I got mine built flat, but probably would not have if the fuse hadn't clued me into what could happen.

Dan
Mar 20, 2021, 04:44 PM
Ouch! About to start the wing, so will keep my eyes open for potential unwanted curves. The fuselage looks good so far.
Mar 24, 2021, 09:54 PM

The wing begins

The wing centre section is underway, and I note that I am past halfway through the instructions - doesn't feel like halfway through the build yet!
Points to watch in the build so far:
The small ply reinforcements for the inner ribs are subtly different front to rear and top to bottom in some cases. Study carefully and check fit before waving the glue bottle.
Check, check and re-check the fit of 'le jonc carbone' through the rib holes with the ribs in position, again before gluing.
Ditto the small ply spacers between carbon rod and spar caps, mine needed a little sanding to fit snugly, once again before gluing anything other than the central rib. They are fiddly to sand - I laid double-sided tape on my workbench and stuck them all down side-by-side so I could mark them with a pen and sand them all at once with a straight sanding block. The marking lets you see that you are sanding evenly.
It is certainly looking like a sturdy, straight structure to this point, ready to add the servo bay ribs and onward to the ends.
Slowly, slowly, and still enjoying the process.
Pete
Mar 25, 2021, 03:18 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Here's my Ecirtech Stellar. I bought the bare airframe ready built in December last year - the original owner built it as a covid lock-down project - he said it went together very well. I've just finished covering it Oracover & Oralight - lots of ironing - its big !
Still got to fit all the radio gear. It weighs in at 1.3 kg including the radio gear motor & battery - should soar well. Motor is a Hyperion Gs2218-12/1137 on a 3S battery driving an 11x8 prop - will also try 4s & 10x6 prop

Phil.
Mar 25, 2021, 09:51 PM
Thanks Phil, a lovely job and nicely timed to inspire my build!
I look forward to your flight report, should go very well at that weight.
Pete
Apr 10, 2021, 11:23 PM

Still here

Well the wing centre panel is structurally complete, moving on to the flaps.
The wing went together well, though there was a fair bit of fettling and sanding to get the carbon rod to fit in smoothly and to drop the top spar neatly into place. I will leave shaping of the leading edge and fine sanding till later.
The flap design initially looks very fiddly and fussy, with many pieces, but makes good sense as I start to dry-fit the assemblies.
Apr 11, 2021, 03:00 AM
Looking good Peter, good building weather too......
Apr 27, 2021, 01:55 AM

48 Pieces!

And it has indeed been good building weather, but progress is still slow.
I dithered for quite a while over the best way to sand an accurate taper on the edges of the flap skins - the pic shows my eventual solution.
The top skins are drying under long weights as I write, so hopefully the flaps (all 48 parts of them - 50 if you count the control horns to go in later) will be ready for their end plates and setting aside for final sanding.
Next will be the outer wing panels, then ailerons and I have not been brave enough to count the parts in the ailerons yet.
Ah well, I did ask for a substantial build...
Cheers,
Pete
Apr 27, 2021, 04:00 AM
Entropy is happening!

Diagonal control surface framing.

I very much like and approve of the diagonal framing. It results in a stiff control surface. I employ it for many of my stick and covering build up models.
Sometimes referred to a "Warren Truss" type framing I seem to recall. (corrections invited..............as usual!).

Quick Reply