Apr 18, 2021, 02:16 PM

Heavy Build Up

Just an inspiration. If you are interested in flying the Swift in stronger conditions I would suggest the following build up.

1. Build the Swift as stated in the manual ready for covering
2. Cover the wings in 2 layers of unidirectional glass fiber tape
3. Cover the fuselage in 1 layer of unidirectional glass fiber tape
4. Cover the wings and fuselage with the transparent laminate provided in the kit
5. (optional) Cover everything with monokote or ultrakote.

It makes for on strong airframe which can take even harsher conditions.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2021, 09:01 PM
Wow! How much weight do you end up with?
Apr 19, 2021, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoyang Wang
Wow! How much weight do you end up with?
It's exactly at 1000g. 1100g if I use the steel joiner.
My standard version it roughly 780g.
Apr 19, 2021, 07:06 PM
I will do the heavy version once I get to covering mine.
Apr 27, 2021, 01:34 PM

Swift S1

Hi Guys,

I finished my Swift S1. This is a easy kit to build ( Im slow builder, to many alligators to take care of hahahaI) messed up and did not trim carbon boom for fuse, needs to be trimmed to fit properly. It points this out in instruction, my bad.

I covered the model in 5 mil lamination covering that came with model, then applied ultracote covering over lam with light dusting of 3M 77 spray adhesive, follwed by low heat with iron. I plan on maiden this weekend.

Axle
Apr 27, 2021, 08:57 PM
Looking cool. I love the black design. Good luck with the maiden. Let us know how it goes.
Apr 28, 2021, 01:13 AM
Thanks.

I will.

Axle
Apr 29, 2021, 08:48 PM
I have two kits , both have warped ailerons but between the two I can get one OK pair. They are bowed so that it curves away from the hinge line. Does anybody have any good tricks to straighten out balsa ? I tried steaming and clamping one to a sturdy piece of aluminium angle but when it dried out it kept the warp. This kind of stalled my building and I need to get motivated to finish one
Apr 30, 2021, 12:08 AM
Detail Freak
You could soak the wood in a hot bathtub of water and try again. Steam isn't going to do it seems like.
You could plane the ends until the hinge line was straight.
You could add a strip of square stock then do the same straightening.
You could try bonding the balsa to same thickness aluminum or carbon tube, then hinge with an "over/under" tape hinge.

R,
Target
Apr 30, 2021, 04:30 AM
Hi All,

My ailerons were not warped out of kit. After cover with film covering they had a slight bow in them, I use t pins and attached them to a building board and weight down with fishing weights (2 oz per weight). Then hit with heat gun and just got them warm and left for a few days. My ailerons are straight now.

Axle
Apr 30, 2021, 08:22 AM
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. This must have happened during shipping and the way I packed them. They where straight when I put them in the box. I have to look out for that in the future. How badly are they warped? Can you post a picture? From my experience it's possible to straighten them out during the process of covering.
May 22, 2021, 07:41 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
I finally put my swift to its intended use in my quiver, an alternative to my Ahi on bigger wind days at my bike-pack-to slope 1200' above my house. And it kicked ass!! I was blowing 40 with gusts to 50. The little Swift was certainly was getting knocked around but it held its own. It penetrated really nicely on launch.

One question. The double sided sticky tape I used (not sure if it came in the kit or not) came loose, just lost its stick. Has anyone played with other ways to secure the wing servos.

One other little story about the Swift. At our flying event at the beginning of the month I had a pretty good midair with my buddy Chris' Miraj. It caught it right across the lower fuse about 4" in front of the tail feathers. It sliced the foam a bit but there was no damage to boom (and very little damage to his LE) but the force snapped the rear printed part in half just behind where the carbon tub fuse ends. I was able to glue it with CA and reinforce it with a little tape, in the field, and get it back in the air a couple hours later. I flew on that repair today with no issue. All and all I am pretty impressed with the durability.
May 23, 2021, 09:08 PM
Detail Freak
MS-
Some guys use a little goop to hold in their servos in foamies. With the boxes in the Swift, I would think you could use almost anything, taking into account getting them out later if needed.
Nice report.
I flew a friends on maiden and it did feel pretty slippery indeed, so I don't doubt your report on being at home in strong winds.

R,
Target
May 23, 2021, 09:13 PM
I potted the servos in my Moth with gorilla glue. I recently had to swap one and it just popped out and back in. Very happy wih that solution and would use it again.
May 23, 2021, 09:15 PM
Detail Freak
I am pretty sure the S1 design here has CAD designed boxes that the servos then were double stick taped into. So it isn't like a traditional foamie. Some blocks and mounts could be incorporated if someone wants to get crazy!
But for normal foamies, that potting sure does seem like a good way to go....

https://windyhillhobbies.com/wp-cont...bly-Manual.pdf

Quick Reply