What the Heck Wednesday - RC Helicopter Crash

In this week's installment of What the Heck Wednesday, we have this rather nice looking electric scale RC helicopter video.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

In this week's installment of What the Heck Wednesday, we have this rather nice looking electric scale RC helicopter video. You can see the helicopter spooling up nicely and once the rotor gets up to speed, the doors blow off in a violent event that could have been a lot worse than it was.

The heli suffered some body damage and maybe has some mechanical issues to fix, but the real question here is, what the heck went wrong? Comment below with your thoughts about this entertaining rc heli crash.

Sep 02, 2020, 09:09 AM
If it's belt driven tail./ Then the belt could of broke.
Sep 02, 2020, 09:32 AM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Pilot activated the sideways firing ejector seats
Sep 02, 2020, 09:51 AM
MK
MK
Loctite - STAT!
Sep 02, 2020, 11:02 PM
My guess was resonate vibrations that became undamped, or rather less damped once the skids left the ground
Sep 03, 2020, 03:47 AM
If I had to make a serious guess I'd say some serious main drivetrain mechanical failure, which either through debris out, knocking the doors off, or vibrated them off.

Don't think it was the tail drive belt because the heli didnt spin. There also dint seem to be any sign of vibrations before the doors flew off (the doors came off before the heli lifted).
Sep 03, 2020, 09:11 AM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX
The little pilot inside sneezed realy hard!
Sep 03, 2020, 09:12 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
lol
Sep 03, 2020, 09:17 AM
Heligamist
Pilot had dinner at Taco Bell

It reminded me of the Smash up Derby cars I had growing up.

smash up derby by kenner (0 min 31 sec)
Sep 03, 2020, 11:23 AM
Broke college student & nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
Pilot had dinner at Taco Bell

It reminded me of the Smash up Derby cars I had growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoUcofBo9I
Fisher Price Shake 'n Go! Crash Up Speedway Fisher Price Toys R Us2 (0 min 41 sec)

Same energy, new generation.
Sep 03, 2020, 12:35 PM
AeroDan
BEAUTIFUL R-22. Vibration problem, perhaps?
Sep 03, 2020, 03:58 PM
used to build now i fly
died of covid im sure of it
Sep 03, 2020, 08:46 PM
Dash till Puff
great reaction from the pilot. he brought it down in time
Sep 04, 2020, 01:32 AM
So do we get to know what really happened, or will it forever be a mystery?

PS......I like the 'Smash up Derby' idea. It could be the 'next big thing' in RC models. Saves you the trouble of actually crashing, they just explode on command
Sep 06, 2020, 07:46 AM
Broke college student & nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie
So do we get to know what really happened, or will it forever be a mystery?

PS......I like the 'Smash up Derby' idea. It could be the 'next big thing' in RC models. Saves you the trouble of actually crashing, they just explode on command
Hexbug has mini RC Battlebots, but other than that it sounds like uncharted territory.

Quick Reply