Sep 03, 2020, 01:28 AM
Smaller, Lighter, Faster!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog
Is this the ESC, for example?
http://www.helipal.com/hglrc-t-rex-6...li_32-esc.html

I'm currently designing and I've found the Avian 30A ESC to be heavy and bulky.
Given your use of a 60A unit in a very slim plane, I'm intrigued.
I'm new here, so perhaps I'm intrigued by the ordinary or ignorant of the extraordinary.

Your aero design philosophy is sound, reduction of frontal area is free power to be applied as you see fit.
More speed or more lift or lower speed range it's all free!

I'm curious about this size and weight range at literally the opposite end of the envelope, but there's so much overlap.
I'm working with my interpretation of Tim Weisbach's Gurke wing twisting.
Yes that is the esc, although I doubt it can actually handle 60a continuous inside a fuselage (it's really small) it can certainly take more than 30A. MikeRX is also running some pretty beefy esc's in his mini sharks and lukattubato too. Most people don't use such a big esc though, you it makes sense you have never seen it before.

And that wing twisting is really interesting!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2020, 01:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyloneasy
What if we put on A Tmotor f80 pro
The iflight xing motor I am using is of a very similar quality and is the same stator size. The kv is lower though so I will be able to run a more efficient and larger propeller. The build seems to be coming in under weight so if I want even more speed I will move up to 8s instead of using a higher kv motor.
Sep 03, 2020, 02:10 PM
For flying out loud!
This looks like it's going to be fast!

Have you got any way of logging data on the plane? it would be interesting to see how it compares to my V2 plane (presumably a lot more speed for the same power!)

I'll have to try and get some ground video of me flying my V3 plane once it's done so that a doppler analysis can be done to make the results more comparable as Josh Finn mentioned.

It's interesting how a group of people can design planes with similar design priciples and similar abilities, but come up with quite different soloutions! You can bet my V4 plane will be stealing some ideas from this!!
Sep 03, 2020, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad man
This looks like it's going to be fast!

Have you got any way of logging data on the plane? it would be interesting to see how it compares to my V2 plane (presumably a lot more speed for the same power!)

I'll have to try and get some ground video of me flying my V3 plane once it's done so that a doppler analysis can be done to make the results more comparable as Josh Finn mentioned.

It's interesting how a group of people can design planes with similar design priciples and similar abilities, but come up with quite different soloutions! You can bet my V4 plane will be stealing some ideas from this!!
I do have a lot of fpv equipment for my drones, but I don't have a gps or suitable flight controller. I have been considering making a small data logging box with a vtx, a small flight controller and a gps but I will first try using the doppler method.

If you have any smart solutions on how I can log data, please let me know.
Sep 03, 2020, 03:08 PM
For flying out loud!
Unfortunately the system I used in my V1 plane (what you mention with an fc + gps, but sending the data back as telemetry to the transmitter) is about the best Idea I have.

https://lukeattubato.com/250kph-under-250-grams
Sep 04, 2020, 11:12 PM
Yes, my throw sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by basgerritsen
Yes that is the esc, although I doubt it can actually handle 60a continuous inside a fuselage (it's really small) it can certainly take more than 30A. MikeRX is also running some pretty beefy esc's in his mini sharks and lukattubato too. Most people don't use such a big esc though, you it makes sense you have never seen it before.

And that wing twisting is really interesting!
I find the relative size of the solder pad on the board and the wire itself hard to reconcile.

I've shuffled parts around and gotten room for any ESC I want and improved packaging and CG.
Have to remember to leave room for my bigger servos if the small ones can't do it.
It's kind of like a front wheel drive car as absolutely everything is packed in the front.

Did Marcus cut the prop down for you or are you cutting down one of his?
Sep 05, 2020, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I find the relative size of the solder pad on the board and the wire itself hard to reconcile.

I've shuffled parts around and gotten room for any ESC I want and improved packaging and CG.
Have to remember to leave room for my bigger servos if the small ones can't do it.
It's kind of like a front wheel drive car as absolutely everything is packed in the front.

Did Marcus cut the prop down for you or are you cutting down one of his?
The solder pads and wires are pretty small indeed, so I wouldn't run 60a cont inside a fuselage. This is a quad esc so they probably designed it to be on a arm and to be cooked by the motor airflow. And they probably overstated the specs a bit, still it's working great at 30-40 amps.

That seems like it's gonna be tight if you need bigger servos!

Marcus did not cut them down for me, I will be cutting them down myself as I have a very good way if also rounding the prop tips again. (See the image)
I am also considering using the really narrow speedcroco props at 5-5.5" since they aren't that suitable for my f5b but do have a lot of pitch (13")
Sep 05, 2020, 09:33 AM
Yes, my throw sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by basgerritsen
The solder pads and wires are pretty small indeed, so I wouldn't run 60a cont inside a fuselage. This is a quad esc so they probably designed it to be on a arm and to be cooked by the motor airflow. And they probably overstated the specs a bit, still it's working great at 30-40 amps.

That seems like it's gonna be tight if you need bigger servos!

Marcus did not cut them down for me, I will be cutting them down myself as I have a very good way if also rounding the prop tips again. (See the image)
I am also considering using the really narrow speedcroco props at 5-5.5" since they aren't that suitable for my f5b but do have a lot of pitch (13")
Yes, I agree very likely to be 100% reliant on lots of airflow.

Packaging is like the parable about a 3-legged stool and "price, quality, delivery"
If the parts fit in position and the CG is good, the wires are too short.

Do you have a method of checking rpm?
Sep 05, 2020, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, I agree very likely to be 100% reliant on lots of airflow.

Packaging is like the parable about a 3-legged stool and "price, quality, delivery"
If the parts fit in position and the CG is good, the wires are too short.

Do you have a method of checking rpm?
I could check the rpm at the esc using betaflight rpm filter and rpm meter.
The only problem is, I ran up the motor full throttle at 4s and the amount of thrust and torque was already really scary, at 6s I did run it up but not full throttle since I was scared that I couldn't hold it anymore. I will try to get a accurate measurement of the rpm.
Sep 05, 2020, 10:45 AM
Thread OP

Electronics mounted and wing neatly done

The electronics are in there and the wing is almost done, I only need to apply another epoxy layer on the bottom and smooth it out.
The wing is stupid stiff now I couldnt even break it if I tried. I glassed the wing tips and root with two layers just like f3k models and that really helped out. By applying another epoxy layer and then rubbing whatever is left on the surface down with paper towel, you get a really nice smooth finish.
I sanded this layer down with really fine sandpaper and the wing is super smooth now.
The black spots on the wing are spots I marked for more sanding since there is a bit too much epoxy on there.

It looks like it will be coming out underweight so if that is the case I will be able to run 8s for absolute insanity. (Just cut the throttle so current draw is the same as on 6s)

I'm going to be running emax 9051 since I really need the better centering and precision. The 2.2g hobbyking servos didn't center well at all and even stalled without any load on there.
Last edited by basgerritsen; Sep 05, 2020 at 03:24 PM.
Sep 05, 2020, 05:51 PM
Yes, my throw sucks
This plane looks the business.
Not that your others didn't, but this sure does.

I use Model Lite from Deluxe Materials for finishing, it works really nice.

It could be microbaloons and Elmers glue for all I know, but I care not.

It is so easy and works so well, I've no worries.

Do you have a pic of it loaded with all the parts?

EDIT>>>

How big are those flooring tiles?

I'm trying to get a feel for the scale.
Sep 05, 2020, 11:44 PM
Wing span is supposed to be 640mm / 25.2",
Sep 06, 2020, 02:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
This plane looks the business.
Not that your others didn't, but this sure does.

I use Model Lite from Deluxe Materials for finishing, it works really nice.

It could be microbaloons and Elmers glue for all I know, but I care not.

It is so easy and works so well, I've no worries.

Do you have a pic of it loaded with all the parts?

EDIT>>>

How big are those flooring tiles?

I'm trying to get a feel for the scale.
Thank you very much, nice that you like it. I also have some microballoons laying around so when I'm at the final finishing stage I will try those to get an even smoother finish.

I will make a picture with all the parts today, the only parts I can't fit yet are the aileron servos, which will be mounted inside the fuselage. I need to cut out slots for them trough the side of the fuse.
I can run a 450mah 6s and maybe with a little bit of squeezing a 550-650 6s or 450mah 7s or 8s (although it will probably be overweight with that setup)

The wingspan is indeed 640mm and if I remember correctly, the flooring tiles are about 20cm ~ 7.87" each.
I will post an image with me holding it when I mount the wing, so you can get a really good idea of the scale.
Last edited by basgerritsen; Sep 06, 2020 at 04:57 AM.
Sep 06, 2020, 04:54 AM
Where will CG be on this one?
Sep 06, 2020, 05:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
Where will CG be on this one?
I will mount the wing when I finish the entire fuselage (glassing and bottom) and then I will find out where it should go. I will start with the cg at 36-40mm from the leading edge and I will go from there.
It looks like the wing will be mounted pretty far forward on the fuselage, mainly because the motor, prop, spinner and esc are most of the dry weight.

When I find out where the cg should actually go, I will update this post.

Quick Reply